Blazers on Riviera ?

MUD

We are booked on the Riviera in January for the western caribbean. New to Oceania. CC review says that men can't go wrong with a blazer. I strongly prefer no blazer/sportcoat. What is your experience?

"CC review says that men can't go wrong with a blazer"; you also can't go wrong without a blaxzer, as long as you don't try jeans, shorts, tee shirt, sweat shirt, etc. Long pants (khakis/Dockers are fine), collared shirt (golf/polo shirt is OK) and decent shoes are just the ticket.

There is a mix; I wear a sport coat some of the time and usually wear dressy trousers and button-front shirt, but that's just what I enjoy wearning. I live in rural Florida and spend most of my time at home in shorts and tee-shirts, so I enjoy the change.

It's really nice to be treated as an adult and not have the dress-code "police" nipping at your heels!

I completely agree that you do not need to have a Jacket aboard Oceania, that said, I will probably always bring one.

There is a packing philosophy that says that you should pack at least one outfit that is opposite of what you expect to encounter on your trip, a pair of jeans and sweater or for a beach vacation, shorts and a short sleeved shirt for an autumn colors weekend, etc.(When I lived in San Francisco I was amazed at how many people thought they were going to "California" and only needed shorts and t-shirts, only to find fog and 50 degree daytime temps in summer) I think this philosophy goes for a casual vacation as well.

I always bring a jacket or blazer because it doesn't take up much space, can "dress up" any outfit and it makes it possible to accept unexpected invitations and also gives access to things that might be inapproriate in more casual dress. The decision is of course yours, just wanted to give you another way to look at this.

I always wear my blazerwhen I travel.Never pack it in my luggage.I find when I check intoa hotel wearing a sportcoat or blazer it makes ime look alittle more safisticated.But thats me.

This feb. Will be our 5th cruise on O.Wear a jacket mostly to the restaurants.

PS. If you do a pre or post for yourcruise,a jacket is sometimes requard in a restaurant.

I always pack a blue blazer that I usually wear in the specialty restaurants. As well, I pack one tie just in case a more formal situation arises on board or ashore.

Cheers,

Don

Cruised on Riviera last week. Almost no one wore a sport coat/blazer in the main dining room. Most men wore one in Jacques, and the other specialty restaurants were mixed. Definitely no need to have one, and you won't feel out of place without a jacket in any of the dining areas.

I have found that people cruising in European countries - regardless of the ship's dress code - tend to dress a bit more. The Baltic on Oceania was dressier than any Regent Cruise I have been on. The Carribbean is far more casual regardless of which ship. I am sure weather plays a part. Also, some itineraries that are longer tend to have more dressed up people - probably because the longer cruises have more retired people who are more likely to be older and used to dressing up more than younger cruisers.

YMMV. My husband is always cold and brings a jacket to wear to dinner; Temperature in the common areas always feels cold to him.

Wouldn't matter if it was my first or 25th. I'm going to wear a blazer because I like to dress for dinner!

That is YOUR personal choice it may not be the choice of others but they are certainly NOT required ;)

On our Marina cruise in 2011 we saw a few TUXs

We had over 800 repeat cruisers.... now I cannot say for sure if these were repeat passengers & they like to dress fancy but I will bet they were 1st timers ;)

That is YOUR personal choice it may not be the choice of others but they are certainly NOT required ;)

We had over 800 repeat cruisers.... now I cannot say for sure if these were repeat passengers & they like to dress fancy but I will bet they were 1st timers ;)

((Sigh)) It's a good thing that Sir Walter Raliegh did not have these worries....

sir-walter-raleigh-1.jpg

The rule is country club casual, which means a collared shirt and slacks for men. Some men prefer to wear a jacket (sport or suit), and that's entirely up to them, and to you. You don't have to, you won't feel out of place without one or with one -- in the MDR or one of the specialty restaurants. One of the big draws for Oceania is the lack of formal nights, and the everyday country club casual rule. As for me, I appreciate not needing to take a jacket.

I feel more relaxed in a blazer. Someone else may feel more relaxed in a polo. Never said it was required. Please don't misinterpret my expressed opinion. Wear whatever you like.

Don P,

I knew what you were saying! The fact is that people on Oceania cruises can wear what they feel comfortable wearing (assuming we aren't talking about cut offs with holes in them).

If you want to wear a blazer or other jacket, that's fine. You won't be alone.

If my DH wants to wear his ancient leather jacket purchased in Spain I can't tell you how long ago, that's fine.

I've seen women in formal gowns on the "R" ships (although probably not since Oceania came into being), and that's fine too.

People are really too bent out of shape about what they wear! I can understand worrying when you are told there are 7 formal nights on a 14 day cruise. (I'm not positive that was the requirement when we did our first QE2 cruise in 2003 but certainly there were a number of formal nights on that cruise.)

But why worry when you are told there is NOT a problem?!

Okay, I speak as a long time "R" ship cruiser, going back to Renaissance days. But folks, it really is not a big deal! You shouldn't be TOO casual, but casual is okay!

AND if you are happier dressing up -- do so!

Go with the flow ...

Mura

Archived