Do you think Celebrity will implement a similar policy?

Bridge Maven

I just transferred an onboard booking to my TA and then changed the booking to another cruise on a different Celebrity ship. As a result, I found out that Celebrity no longer allows my Platinum AmEx TA to provide me with the AmEx benefits my card entitles me to AND also get the Celebrity OBC that I was given for booking onboard. My TA was told by Celebrity that this was a recent policy change. So it appears to me that Celebrity has already implemented a policy that will restrict TA benefits to passengers who either book through or transfer to a TA. Celebrity says that are trying to restrict "double dipping" but, IMHO, they are trying to save money at the guest's expense. If my AmEx gives me a 2-category upgrade and Celebrity gives me an OBC for a future cruise (while they have the multi-month use of my deposit without interest), then where is the "double dipping"? I see a disturbing trend here.

I hope the rest of the cruise industry doesn't go the way of Carnival (in more ways than one!!!) but what you refer to re Celebrity and "a disturbing trend" isn't a recent policy change at all; it's been in effect for a couple of years now. It has nothing to do with restricting TA benefits to passengers as you suggest, and everything to do with "double dipping." The AmX Platinum cruise privileges program is a joint function of both AmX and the cruise line, in this case Celebrity, with each sharing one-half the cost of those privileges. Thus, one-half the cost of the two-category upgrade (as well as the other Platinum privileges) is paid for by Celebrity and one-half is paid for by AmX. Since Celebrity doesn't allow pax to combine Celebrity-offered amenties, you cannot combine future cruise OBC (paid for by X) with AmX Platinum cruise privileges (paid for in part by X); to allow it would be to allow pax to use two Celebrity-offered amenities which would amount to double-dipping.

trixie golf - that is why I could never understand how so many posters get OBCs that are so high. I am assuming that these travel agents that give them are working on a very small profit margin per customer, and make up the difference in volume.

Also remember that Dr. House was right. "Everybody lies."

While this is bad news for travel agents who attract customers by offering large monetary incentives, it is good for travel agents who can't afford to do this because they spend too much time with each customer.

Agreed, but it isn't particularly good news for the end-users, namely passengers who, for better or worse are the beneficiaries of those monetary incentives. I'm not sure I understand how Carnival (or any other cruise line) can control what amounts to TAs "gifting" OBC or other amenities to their clients. Then again, the banks were forced to stop "gifting" toasters and alarm clocks to new customers many years back. Fortunately, this only applies to Carnival at the moment and all we're doing is speculating. With any luck, it won't morph into an industry standard; if it does, buying a cruise will be like buying a plane ticket - take it or leave it. Selfish motives aside, I don't think that would bode well for the cruise industry as a whole. JMHO.

I am absolutely amazed by the legal experts giving their opinions on the law of agency as to whose agent the ta is --" they get paid by celeb so they are celeb agent--price fixing etc. --I wish that all the lawyers giving legal advice should at least give the names of the law schools that they attended--If I were a TA and carnival said no obc etc and a customer was booking suites etc I coud easily find a way to reward them--hotels at either end --private tours etc.--so I do not get the point--remember in most states in the USA The seller of a house pays a commission to the buyers agent--or is it that the listing agent pays the fee ---

Also remember that Dr. House was right. "Everybody lies."

From the only believable reality show "Star Trek":

Norman: "You say you are lying, but if everything you say is a lie, then you are telling the truth, but you cannot tell the truth because you always lie... illogical! Illogical! Please explain! You are human; only humans can explain! Illogical!"

;)

Archived