Sapphire Alaska Info Needed

CathyCruises

We are leaving next week for a 10 day SB cruise tour; DH and I are long time Celebrity cruisers, but this cruise had such good pricing we couldn't resist. We are bringing 4 family members with us who have never cruised before so I am nervous and wanting to make sure they have a great time.

Any suggestions/hints/tips much appreciated; but I do have a few questions.

1) Do they have autotipping like Celebrity?

2) We have been assigned to Select Dining; will there be much of a wait for 6 people? Are vegetarian meals readily available for one of our party?

3) Is there anything like Bistro on 5 for a nice casual meal, even with an extra charge? We generally do not like buffets and avoid if possible.

4) Can we carry on two bottles of wine like we can on Celebrity?

Any places we should be sure to check out on board?

Thanks so much for any help!!

Cathy

We are leaving next week for a 10 day SB cruise tour; DH and I are long time Celebrity cruisers, but this cruise had such good pricing we couldn't resist. We are bringing 4 family members with us who have never cruised before so I am nervous and wanting to make sure they have a great time.

Any suggestions/hints/tips much appreciated; but I do have a few questions.

1) Do they have autotipping like Celebrity? Yes, a charge of $11.50/day/person will be added to your onboard account.

2) We have been assigned to Select Dining; will there be much of a wait for 6 people? Are vegetarian meals readily available for one of our party? If you mean "Anytime Dining", the wait time will depend on how many other passengers decide to eat at the same time you do, just like if you show up at a land restaurant to eat. There are several vegetarian items on every lunch and dinner menu as well as at the buffet. The person who is vegetarian should ask the headwaiter each evening to help plan the next evening's meals. For example, the French Onion Soup which is normally made with a beef stock can be prepared for him.her without using the beef stock.

3) Is there anything like Bistro on 5 for a nice casual meal, even with an extra charge? We generally do not like buffets and avoid if possible. Not familiar with Bistro on 5, but there are two specialty restaurants, Sabatini's (northern Italian) and a steak restaurant. There is a $20/$25 per person charge at these. Your vegetarian should talk to the headwaiter there a day in advance to plan his/her menu.

4) Can we carry on two bottles of wine like we can on Celebrity? Yes

see above in red

Also go to the Princess web site and ownload the "Cruise Answer Book." You will learn a lot about cruising on Princess when you read it.

The Sapphire just got the International Cafe and I would definitely check that place out! It was our favorite place (while on the Emerald and Crown) to grab a quick lunch, snack, donuts in the morning, lots of wonderful things there....I believe there is a thread on here about the International Cafe if you do a search for it. We will be on the Sapphire southbound August 4th. Enjoy! :)

International Cafe is free. Is a counter full of different types of sandwiches, salads and desserts and you can sit in the atrium and eat it.

There is also a sit down pizzeria that is free of charge on Deck 5. There are 2 speciality restaurants (Italian and the other is a Steakhouse) that have a surcharge.

You can bring as much wine onboard as you can carry.

Great, thanks. Is there a charge for Int'l Cafe? (Bistro on 5 is casual seated dining with a $5 charge). I will take a look at the cruisebook now, thanks for that tip!

No, it is free......breakfast items in the morning....different things at lunch time....loved the cashew chicken salad and fruit tarts and little sandwiches, warm cookies, lots of desserts to choose from too.....just a really neat place we came upon as soon as we stepped on our first cruise and we went back many times on that cruise and our 2nd.....looking forward to it on the Sapphire :) Enjoy!

The newly re-designed Piazza on the Sapphire is wonderful. There's the International Cafe with wonderful pastries, donuts, muffins and breakfast sandwiches in the morning, sandwiches, paninis, salads (shrimp, chicken and Greek) and pastries for the rest of the day and evening. All free. There's Alfredo's which is a sit-down specialty pizza place that's also free. There is frequent entertainment to enjoy such as a Cirque act or a pianist or perhaps a couple of stilt walkers while you eat. I could easily have all my meals there. :)

Wow, that sounds great!! Can't wait to try it.

So how does it work with 4 different dining rooms? I have never encountered that before. Do you just show up wherever and whenever you want? Can you 'prebook' at all? Like I said, I am familiar with this on Celebrity but feel a bit lost.

Wow, that sounds great!! Can't wait to try it.

So how does it work with 4 different dining rooms? I have never encountered that before. Do you just show up wherever and whenever you want?

Yes, with anytime you decide that evening which one you want to use and when you want to eat and just show up. If there is a wait, you can try one of the other anytime dining rooms if you do not want to wait.

So how does it work with 4 different dining rooms? I have never encountered that before. Do you just show up wherever and whenever you want?
Originally the four dining rooms were designed with four separate menus: Asian (Pacific Moon), Italian (Vivaldi), Southwestern (Santa Fe), and steakhouse (Savoy). Now, each one has a signature entree--but you can order the signature entrees any night at any of the four and at the traditional dining room (International). The menus are the exact same for the four anytime dining rooms and the traditional--seven different menus for a week-long cruise. You will notice the decor of each reflects the original theme: http://www.princess.com/learn/ships/sa/amenities_publicrooms/index.html. With anytime dining, you show up whenever the dining room is open. I think one of them now has an early traditional seating, but that will be noted for you in the listing of opening times. We had traditional dining and did not get to experience these four dining rooms on our Sapphire Princess cruise, other than the night we ate in the Santa Fe for the Chef's Table.

There's a great live thread currently going here.

You can also make reservations for a certain time and/or table by calling ahead each day. This is good if you find waiters that are really good and you want to go to their table each night.

Nancy

One of the nice things about Sapphire and its anytime dining, besides trying the experience of all four dining rooms, is that you do not have to call each day for a specific reservation (as on Golden). If you want a specific time or table, when you call, you can make a THREE DAY reservation; thus you are spared the headache of more frequent calling.

Great info--thanks to all. Now on to a sometimes more controversial topic: dress code. One of our family members, in particular, does tend to dress VERY casually in almost any situation. What is the norm for a non-formal night, and how formal do folks really get? Are there alternative dining venues for formal nights that don't require formal dress? NOT trying to stir up trouble, just want to know how to advise my SIL. DH and I will be dressing for dinner as always.

Great info--thanks to all. Now on to a sometimes more controversial topic: dress code. One of our family members, in particular, does tend to dress VERY casually in almost any situation. What is the norm for a non-formal night, and how formal do folks really get? Are there alternative dining venues for formal nights that don't require formal dress? NOT trying to stir up trouble, just want to know how to advise my SIL. DH and I will be dressing for dinner as always.

We have decided for our trip next May to not bring extra clothes for formal nights & those will be the nights we do specialty dining, at Sabatini's, maybe Sterlings, and at some point the Ultimate Balcony Dinner, in our room (all of which have extra charges). People have said that the Buffet is open & there are things like the IC or grill (free). I know on our trip there are 2 formal nights on our 7 day cruise. That is what I picked up on dining. I'm not commenting on the dress code though, as we have yet to sail. I'm sure the experienced Princess cruisers will chime in on that.

No shorts or tank tops in the dining room at dinner. Jeans, slacks or pants with a nice top are the norm. Most women wear slacks or pants, not jeans. I have a pair of casual linen pants from JJill that are insanely comfortable that I can dress up or down. :)

The specialty restaurants are "Smart casual" on formal nights but they are extra charge. The buffet will be open as well as the grill, pizzeria and International Cafe (if your ship has one.)

Okay, that sounds pretty comparable to Celebrity. Her basic uniform is jeans (NOT designer) and a t-shirt (and she's over 50) so this will be a bit of a challenge but I am up to it (I think). I will give her her options and let her decide what she wants to do.

Okay, that sounds pretty comparable to Celebrity. Her basic uniform is jeans (NOT designer) and a t-shirt (and she's over 50) so this will be a bit of a challenge but I am up to it (I think). I will give her her options and let her decide what she wants to do.
Exactly like Celebrity (although I saw several people in shorts on the Summit every night in the dining room, even formal nights.) Maybe get her some t-shirts on the ship. They have them for the ports of call. :)

The Sapphire just got the International Cafe and I would definitely check that place out! It was our favorite place (while on the Emerald and Crown) to grab a quick lunch, snack, donuts in the morning, lots of wonderful things there....I believe there is a thread on here about the International Cafe if you do a search for it. We will be on the Sapphire southbound August 4th. Enjoy! :)

See you there, Ora! :D

Archived