Chocolate Purse

Yaya&Papu

It's not listed under that name on the menu, so you really have to be on the look-out for it. It's written in Dutch. When it was served on my cruise I didn't even spot it, even though I had heard about it. It was someone at my table (thank you, Christopher) who pronounced it out loud, and that's when it clicked.

Whatever the word for "chocolate" is in Dutch is what I eventually heard. But it took a while.

It's called Shokolade Taschchen according to my notes from my March Panama Canal cruise.

Thank you both! I'll be watching for it in November:).

I believe this is it...

Purse.jpg

That is the Chocolate Purse.

For those who are interested, Joanie posted the recipe here on Cruise Critic last year.

I made the recipe, mine did not look quite as professional as in the photo, but I will make it again one of these days.

It's called Shokolade Taschchen according to my notes from my March Panama Canal cruise.

Yes! Those are the words I never would have figured out. But when Christopher pronounced the first word, I heard "chocolate".

I just made a stab that they're Dutch; they could be almost anything, as far as I know.

I haven't seen this one on my cruises. I wonder if they offered it when I was gone to a specialty restaurant. I'm going to have to plan better:D.

I'll make sure you get one on our cruise Lore!! I have a way of talking to the chefs:) Besides, Roger and I want at least one during the week:)

Joanie

It's not listed under that name on the menu, so you really have to be on the look-out for it. It's written in Dutch. When it was served on my cruise I didn't even spot it, even though I had heard about it. It was someone at my table (thank you, Christopher) who pronounced it out loud, and that's when it clicked.

Whatever the word for "chocolate" is in Dutch is what I eventually heard. But it took a while.

It is listed in the HAL Official Recipes as: Chocolate Purse with mascarpone cream

It is as you know the most decadently delicious desert possible:)

Joanie

It is listed in the HAL Official Recipes as: Chocolate Purse with mascarpone cream

But it's not listed that way on the menu, which is where most of us are looking for it. It's listed as Shokolade Taschchen on the menu, as bcd2010 posted.

Does anyone have a photo of it ??? What exactly is it and how does it taste ??? (Yes, I know - heavenly !!)

Yes, I posted photos of The Chocolate Purse on my Zuiderdam review in September. Here is the direct link to the post with the photos http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=30689597&postcount=123

Click on each thumbnail to see them larger.

And the Recipe is here: http://abqreunion2008.com/Recipes/Chocolate-Purse.html

All I can say for the renaming is it took place after I got the recipes and after we had it on Zuiderdam 2011.

Joanie

I'll make sure you get one on our cruise Lore!! I have a way of talking to the chefs:) Besides, Roger and I want at least one during the week:)

Joanie

Excellent! I'll take any pull I can get:D;). HAL used to make a snickers pie and that was beyond good too. Put either one of these on a plate and I'll be happy. Pretty sure that snickers pie had about a billion calories in it but it sure was good.

Yes, that is it!! Ours was a little more browner on the outside - the chocolate filling was dark and gooey but not at all bitter and not overly sweet. It was simply delicious!!

I googled the words and they are German - taschchen means purse and schocolade is chocolate. On the night it was served, it was the first dessert listed on the menu. But I do not remember which night of the 14 nights, when it was served on the Prinsendam. It was somewhere in the middle of the cruise.

Thank you very much, Ruth.:) for alerting us all to this fabulously delicious dessert.

I haven't seen this one on my cruises. I wonder if they offered it when I was gone to a specialty restaurant. I'm going to have to plan better:D.

Me too, don't think I've seen it on one of our cruises either. Plan better, I guess I better just plan......:D:D

Glad I was able to let you know what to be on the look-out for. Isn't that just about the best dessert ever??? It sure was for me. The absolute best dessert I have ever had in my entire life.

I don't care about the fat, sugar, calories, how full I was---none of it.

Oh, and how was the cruise besides that??? :D

I agree too, the best ever in my life.

I had 3 during my en-suite pajama formal night ball. The lobster was great too... Was too tired to have a second formal night. We slow danced the night away to the tv channel showing Eurodams wake... So fun.

On our Maasdam B2B2B lst spring I only found the Chocolate Purse served once, in 5 weeks! Maybe I missed it but I was watching for it so I doubt it. It was wonderful when I had it on the 2 week cruise; the other cruises were 10 and 11 days and i didn't see it, much to my disappointment.

Thanks for the recipe Joanie. You and it are both treasures. :) m--

On our Maasdam B2B2B lst spring I only found the Chocolate Purse served once, in 5 weeks! Maybe I missed it but I was watching for it so I doubt it. It was wonderful when I had it on the 2 week cruise; the other cruises were 10 and 11 days and i didn't see it, much to my disappointment.

Thanks for the recipe Joanie. You and it are both treasures. :) m--

Glad I was able to get not only the recipe for all, but was able to provide the first photos and description of it since our September 18 2011 cruise on Zuiderdam was the first time it had been served aboard HAL:)

Best DAMed desert I have ever had. And will be asking for it on every cruise. They look at me strangely when I ask for 2, but hey, you only live once and I LOVE my Chocolate Purse:)

Joanie

• 1 year later...
I agree too, the best ever in my life.

I had 3 during my en-suite pajama formal night ball. The lobster was great too... Was too tired to have a second formal night. We slow danced the night away to the tv channel showing Eurodams wake... So fun.

Please don't judge me, but your post made me misty-eyed. I've had a really difficult day today, and the idea of a pajama "formal night" with my hubby made me want it so bad (we've had far too many nights without him home lately). What an excellent idea. It sounds Heavenly.

Yes, thanks to RuthC, two more happy pax sampled the Chocolate Purse! We've tried it at least three times and it just gets better and better.

Let's keep talking about chocolate!

Anyone tried the Chocolate Tart? Basically, chocolate ganache in a pastry shell. Really, really rich and the pastry is a cut above what HAL usually serves! Good with whipped cream (order extra!).

Thanks, RuthC!

I never saw the chocolate purse when we sailed on the Westerdam, but YES I had the chocolate tartlet with ganache. They served it in the MDR on the 2nd formal night. It was soooo good. I did not care for most of the desserts on this cruise, but the chocolate tartlet was AMAZING I should haveordered another or 2 mmm!

Yes! Those are the words I never would have figured out. But when Christopher pronounced the first word, I heard "chocolate".

I just made a stab that they're Dutch; they could be almost anything, as far as I know.

Hi Ruth - It's German actually. :) And it translates quite literally into "Chocolade Bag". I will look for it in December when we are on the Westerdam. Sounds interesting.

Hi Ruth - It's German actually. :) And it translates quite literally into "Chocolade Bag". I will look for it in December when we are on the Westerdam. Sounds interesting.

Oh, I do hope it's on the menu for you. I haven't seen it on a menu in a long time :(, and would love to see a return.

On one cruise I asked about it, just wondering out loud as to whether or not it would appear on our cruise, and the next night I found two plates with two on each served to me! :o

No way I could eat them all. I won't do that again.

On the other hand, if there are several of you together, and all want to try it, you could ask and may be pleasantly surprised.

Archived