new to Princess, considering Crown...

medfordgirl

Ok, so I am loyal to Royal but DH and I really want to visit Curacao and Aruba (sailing from FL) so I found the Crown Princess for Nov/Dec 2013. But I have a couple questions...

First...Do they have a mini golf course, and how do you like it?

second...I love the promenade cafe on RCL and from what I am reading the Crown has and International Cafe, that sounds great.

What kinds of coffee can you get there, ie, lattes, frappuccinos, cappuccinos, espressos? How much are they?

would it be worth to get a coffee card?

how much is a coffee card?

Is the IC the only place to use the coffee card?

Does the coffee card include Hot Chocolate?

third...we are thinking of a balcony or mini suite. Which balcony or mini suites would you recommend? (we don't want people looking down on us)

Is there a coffee maker in the mini suite?

Is there somewhere on the ship I can get hot chocolate packets or do I need to bring them from home?

Fourth....can we bring wine on board? (we can't on RCL)

Fifth.... Do you think we will be happy with Crown Princess? How is the sand on their private island? is it powder soft?

Thanks, I am sure I will come up with more questions.

First...Do they have a mini golf course, and how do you like it? -- I think there's a putting green but I don't play golf so I haven't paid much attention.

second...I love the promenade cafe on RCL and from what I am reading the Crown has and International Cafe, that sounds great.

What kinds of coffee can you get there, ie, lattes, frappuccinos, cappuccinos, espressos? How much are they? -- The Crown Princess has the Piazza and the IC, which is great. Yes, you can get lattes, etc. there. Have no idea how much. Never got any.

would it be worth to get a coffee card? -- If that's what you like, yes it's worth getting the coffee card.

how much is a coffee card? -- Never got a coffee card so I have no idea how much it is.

Is the IC the only place to use the coffee card? -- No. You can use it in the dining room(s).

Does the coffee card include Hot Chocolate? -- Not sure.

third...we are thinking of a balcony or mini suite. Which balcony or mini suites would you recommend? (we don't want people looking down on us) -- A mini-suite is not a suite. It's really a "deluxe" balcony cabin and there are no additional perks other than a glass of sparkling wine on embarkation day for sailaway. The bathroom is larger and has a tub, the sitting area has a couch and a 2nd TV. All mini-suites on Dolphin deck are completely uncovered; those on Emerald deck are completely covered. All standard oceanview balcony cabins are covered except those on Caribe deck which is much larger, even larger than a mini-suite balcony, and is half-covered/half-uncovered. The standard balcony is 9'x5', a mini-suite balcony is 9'x7', a Caribe balcony is 9'x9'.

Is there a coffee maker in the mini suite? -- No coffee makers in any Princess cabin.

Is there somewhere on the ship I can get hot chocolate packets or do I need to bring them from home? -- Don't know. :(

Fourth....can we bring wine on board? (we can't on RCL) -- Absolutely.

Fifth.... Do you think we will be happy with Crown Princess? How is the sand on their private island? is it powder soft? -- I've been on the Crown Princess a couple of times and really liked it. One of my favorite places is the Adagio Bar on deck 14. It's quiet during the day and in the evening, is a piano bar. Princess Cays' sand is nice but not particularly soft.

See answers above. :)

There is a putting course. No "obstacles" like windmills, loop-the-loops or a clown's mouth. Just a series of holes with irregular surfaces. It is up top near the Platinum portrait studio. You can see the schematic on the Princess website. Look for the "Star" deck. It certainly isn't anytthing that I would use as a determining factor in booking the Crown. On a Southern Caribbean itinerary, it can get very hot up there. I doubt that you would spend too much time "golfing". But you can if you want to.

As for the selections at the IC, it is pretty much the ship's version of your local (or Seattle-based chain) coffee shop. If you can pronounce it, they can make it. Including iced coffees, iced lattes, carmel this and hazlenut that. But it is the only place on board to get these types of drinks, other than ordering them in the dining rooms, which we never do.

As for balconies, Pam has pretty much nailed it. If you absolutely don't want people looking down on you, then cross Dolphin deck off your list. But doing that puts you in tight company for a mini-suite, as the Emerald mini-suites tend to go quickly. You pretty much have to decide how badly you want a tub and the sitting area. If you do, and Emerald is sold out, then Dolphin is what you will get. We love that deck, but I understand that the openess is a big issue for many. Just not us.

Should you elect to skip the mini-suite, then try for a Caribe deck balcony for the reasons explained by Pam. Beyond that, all balcony rooms are pretty much alike. You just pick which deck you prefer, (higher or lower), and where on the ship you want to be, (fore, aft or mid). However, I would caution that on the port side of Lido, smoke can waft into the hallway from the smoking area around the pool. That deck is partially public space, and partially cabin space. And part of the public space on the port side is a smoking area. We noticed the smoke in the hallway while walking through it and were very glad that we did not have a room there. If smoke is an issue, take that for what it is worth.

Wine is technically limited to one bottle per person at the time of departure. But so far, no one departing out of FLL has had any problem bringing on much more. The corkage fee is $15 when you consume your bottle in any dining area. Obviously no charge if you drink it in your room or balcony.

It's a terrific ship.

Since you are new to Princess, let me point out one thing that may eliminate some confusion should you opt for this cruise and begin the process of picking a cabin. If you go to the Princess website and look at the deck plan for the ship, you will be given the option of looking at the schematic between "Now and April, 2013", or "After April, 2013". Since your sailing is after, you would logically pick that schematic. And if you do, you will see many more categories of cabins. This might lead one to conclude that there are many different styles and features associated with those categories. There are not. If you look at the earlier deck plan, you will see that the ship is configured exactly the same and no major changes are scheduled. The only difference is that Princess has ramped up the number of categories based on historic sales and perceived desirability. But in the end, all balcony cabins are identical in set up, other than the larger balconies on Caribe. And all mini-suites are identical except for the covered balconies on Emerald. So don't get caught up in the "do I want a BB or a BE. Or maybe a BA". Price and location will change as you move from one category to the next. But the basics of the cabin will reamain exactly the same (except for the balcony differences already noted).

Thank you all, I have based on your answers have ruled out NCL and will go with Princess. Celebrity has a cruise to southern BUT it is 2 weeks and Pretty expensive and not sure my DH can take that much time off work at one time. SO it looks like Princess.

Now, does anyone know about hot chocolate? Do they have any onboard? AND am I right from what I read, that I can get Frozen coffee drinks included in my coffee card? Cause I may skip my pina coladas if I can get those. I just may prefer this IC over the PC on Freedom of the seas (don't tell the loyal royals I said that)

Do I have to put the win in my carry ons or can I put them in my luggage?

You guys are great...thanks:)

Now, does anyone know about hot chocolate? Do they have any onboard? Hot chocolate is available at the IC bar. It is included without a punch with the coffee card. You can ask for it to be made with water or with milk. They use a Nestle powder package to make it. Hot chocolate is also available from room service and in the dining rooms, but may have a charge in the dining rooms even with the coffee card.

Do I have to put the wine in my carry ons or can I put them in my luggage? It can be in either.

Have a great cruise.

Just to follow up on the previous poster about the mini-golf. On the Crown, I would say it is more of a novelty than an actual mini-golf course, at least it was in April. Perhaps if it were refurbished....We were on there a few years ago, and it was in a bit better shape. Mostly, its just a fun thing to do high up on the boat, with very few people around. I certainly wouldn't book a cruise based on it.

We just spent 12 terrific days on the Crown! She really is anice ship! Infact we prefer her over the Caribbean Princess- which is a sister ship. the Crown didn't feel as crowded.

We had a room up on the Rivera deck. this is enclosed- so nobody can look down on you. We still like the Carib deck balcony best, but the Rivera was really nice too.

We have done RCCL 4 times, like it but we do prefer Princess- we have more perks with them. I don't hink you are missing that much not going Celebrity. A friend of mine (And TA) told me thta she preferred the Diamond Princess over her recent Celebrity cruise. Food was better on the Diamond. I was surprised, since we thought the food on Celebrity was outstanding... That was about 8 years ago.

We love Curacao & ARuba- have a great time!

I have brought wine on board and i have put them in both my carry-ons and my checked bags but i drive to the pier being from South Florida. if you are going to put them in your checked bags then make sure you wrap them up in a plastic bag, wrap towels around and even bubble wrap for that extra cushion and support. have been doing it that way for years and have never had a broken bottle :)

CARIBILL...you mentioned punches in the coffee card??? That is what I get for assuming...I thought the coffee card was unlimited. How many coffees am I allowed with the card? ALSO, you said that I can get a hot chocolate without a punch on the card, if that was the case, why do I need a card at all? couldn't I just ask for a hot chocolate? SO, what are the chances I can get a small (16 oz) cordless electric water kettle on the ship in my luggage. It is the size of a large mug. It is 2 pieces . the bottom part plugs in. It is an auto shut off. then I can make my hot chocolate in my room. I bought it specifically for my cruises, for when I travel in balcony rooms. when I travel in a mini suite on royal they have one in the room. But I guess on Princess they don't have one in the mini suite. :(

the coffee card has unlimited brewed coffee from the IC without a punch and i assume they were talking about the hot chocolate in this category. but there are only so many places around the outside edge of the card that are for specialty coffees that are included and once all punched you can only get the fresh brewed. hope thats clear?

Medfordgirl, I also enjoy the hot chocolate and, except for breakfast and room service, there is a charge for hot chocolate unless you have the coffee card or the Ultimate Kids sticker. Some people have been able to order hot chocolate in the evening in the dining room without being charged, but it seems to depend on your waiter. But if you have the Ultimate Kids sticker, no charge and there should not be a punch taken from your coffee card either, but some of the waitstaff in the dining room get confused about that so you will have to watch it if you get the coffee card and order hot chocolate in the dining room outside of breakfast, especially if they want your card--it is best to make certain that they are not intending to take a punch. We have had to go to Guest Relations twice to get "wrong punches" restored where the waitstaff wrongly took a punch for hot chocolate.

We have cruised on both Royal Caribbean and Princess and can tell you that one of the better deals offered on Princess versus Royal Caribbean is the Ultimate Kids sticker. Royal Caribbean only offers a coke sticker and it is about as expensive as the more upgraded Ultimate Kids sticker, which gives hot chocolate, sodas, mocktails, and milkshakes.

Also, if you enjoy hot chocolate in your room, please feel free to email me at kacruiser@sbcglobal.net and I'll give you some tips on what I have learned about how to best order it--having the kettle in your room is dicey--many types are prohibited and it may be confiscated.

the coffee card has unlimited brewed coffee from the IC without a punch and i assume they were talking about the hot chocolate in this category. but there are only so many places around the outside edge of the card that are for specialty coffees that are included and once all punched you can only get the fresh brewed. hope thats clear?

yes, thank you, I read that the brewed coffee is $1 at the IC so I guess I wouldn't have to pay for that. SO, I am guessing that the Hot chocolate would also be $1 if I did not have a card? Can I assume that you can buy a latte without a card? do you happen to know what they charge for specialty coffee drinks?Oh and do you know if the coffee card includes irish coffee? Or just non-alcoholic coffees? I am trying to figure out if the coffee card would be worth it?

on another note, I was looking at the movies under the stars. Is it hard to get a lounge chair for that? Do you have to get out there real early? do they have popcorn?

and another note, are there plenty of tables for 2 in the main dining rooms?

sorry to be such a pain but thanks for your answers.:o:D

The coffee card ($31) gives you 15 "punches," so you can get 15 specialty coffees (lattes, mochas, whatever) of whichever size you wish, small or large. It works out to be a better deal than purchasing them individually, however, I don't recall the price of the specialty coffees individually. It's not out of line with what Starbucks charges (although they don't have a "vente" size, only a "grande" and "tall"), though. If you don't use all the punches, and you sail Princess again, you can carry the card over to the next cruise -- the unlimited brewed/chocolate will not carry over, although on that future voyage, you can use punches for brewed/chocolate.

No alcoholic coffees are included.

I don't drink hot chocolate so can't help you with the individual cost. I do know that it's supposedly unlimited with the card, so if you drink a lot of it, plus a specialty coffee daily, it probably is worth it to get the card, as the card works out to about $4 per day plus gratuity. Not to mention the ease of use, not having to sign for every drink.

Yes to popcorn.

Yes, maybe, for seating -- depends on the movie/the weather . . .

There are definitely tables for two in traditional (if that's what you meant by "main") on the Crown -- I wouldn't say "plenty" but some. Check out your assignment the first afternoon, and if it's not a table for two, the maitre d can probably fix you up. If you have anytime dining, there are slightly more tables for two in anytime, although of course, you may have to wait for one to come open. Those are mostly banquette style, so you may be relatively close to your neighbours.

Everything you ever wanted to know about the "coffee card"::p

In the International Café and some lounges:

Brewed coffee is $1.25/cup, most specialty coffees are $2.50-$2.75 for a regular size, espresso $1.75.

$33.35 buys a coffee card with fifteen punch outs for specialty coffees, and unlimited brewed coffee at the cafes and some lounges that have brewed coffee. You can also use it in the dining rooms for specialty coffees. The server is directed to take two punch outs for double shot orders, some do, some don't.

Since the coffee card is for a discrete quantity it's not time limited. If there are punch outs remaining at the end of the cruise the card will carry over to the next cruise. The unlimited brewed coffee does not carry over.

If you are accustomed to good quality coffee, you definitely will want a coffee card. The vile concoction in the Horizon Court (buffet) is syrup based. Room service and dining room coffee are also syrup based. I must say the dining room coffee tastes a tad better. Maybe the kitchen staff cleans their machine.

Not that syrup-based coffee is always a bad thing. My hometown source, http://www.javacoffee.com/, informs me there are different grades for syrup coffee, as with ground coffee. Regardless of grade, the taste of syrup based is always going to be somewhat inferior to an equivalent grade of ground. Based on flavor, Princess must use the lowest grade (cheapest) available.

You'll find brewed coffee from grounds at some lounges, and in the International Cafe. Not all ships have the Int'l Cafe. They do, however, have a Coffee Bar for regular and specialty coffees.

P.S. Crown does have the international cafe. It's on Plaza Deck.

The Crown was our first cruise ship ever and it was great! We booked a mini suite and were upgraded to a full suite, which our TA said was an extremely rare occurence. Guess they wanted to get us hooked, and it worked :D.

DH always gets the coffee card, so he can get decent brewed coffee in the morning at the IC (no punch taken) and a cappuccino after dinner in the MDR. We haven't had the new type of card yet, but our next cruise is a 14 day TA, so he'll be able to use all of the punches before the end of the cruise. The old cards you could carry over, but too many people were abusing it, so like all good things, it came to an end.

The food at the IC is great too, and there is some seating around in the Atrium around it so it can be a nice place to hang out.

The Crown was our first cruise ship ever and it was great! We booked a mini suite and were upgraded to a full suite, which our TA said was an extremely rare occurence. Guess they wanted to get us hooked, and it worked :D.

DH always gets the coffee card, so he can get decent brewed coffee in the morning at the IC (no punch taken) and a cappuccino after dinner in the MDR. We haven't had the new type of card yet, but our next cruise is a 14 day TA, so he'll be able to use all of the punches before the end of the cruise. The old cards you could carry over, but too many people were abusing it, so like all good things, it came to an end.

The food at the IC is great too, and there is some seating around in the Atrium around it so it can be a nice place to hang out.

If they were to upgrade us to a full suite....hmmm...we may not be so Loyal to Royal anymore....:confused:

I have a couple of other questions...On RCL we have a meet and mingle with all the people we meet on the roll call. Does princess have this? If so, what happens? On RCL they have refreshments and giveaways.

also, I get that the gratuities are put on your account, but do they also give you envelopes to give extra to the crew who do outstanding services?

Can I also assume that Princess is also a cashless system, using your room key to purchase everything (except in the casino)?

If there is anyone out there that has been on RCL too...are there any other things I should know about?

You guys are great....thanks...I just like to be totally informed before I go on a new cruise line...don't want any BIG (bad) SURPRISES. I don't mind BIG good ones though;)

I have a couple of other questions...On RCL we have a meet and mingle with all the people we meet on the roll call. Does princess have this? If so, what happens? On RCL they have refreshments and giveaways. M&G on Princess are set up by the roll call members, one of whom will contact Princess to have a time and place set up for the meeting. Usually the same roll call person will send invitations to the Captain and other staff to attend. Usually at least some of them can make it. Princess does not provide refreshments for a M&G.

also, I get that the gratuities are put on your account, but do they also give you envelopes to give extra to the crew who do outstanding services? They do not automatically give you envelopes, but you can get them at the Purser's Desk.

Can I also assume that Princess is also a cashless system, using your room key to purchase everything (except in the casino)? Yes. Also need cash if using the washers and dryers in the laundry rooms.

If there is anyone out there that has been on RCL too...are there any other things I should know about?

You guys are great....thanks...I just like to be totally informed before I go on a new cruise line...don't want any BIG (bad) SURPRISES. I don't mind BIG good ones though;)

I assume you have joined the Cruise Critic roll call for your cruise. If not, do so and make new friends before you board.

Above all, do not be afraid to ask questions either here on Cruise Critic (including on the roll call) and when you are on board. The Princess staff will be happy to answer questions and make your experience better.

I assume you have joined the Cruise Critic roll call for your cruise. If not, do so and make new friends before you board.

Above all, do not be afraid to ask questions either here on Cruise Critic (including on the roll call) and when you are on board. The Princess staff will be happy to answer questions and make your experience better.

I haven't joined the roll call yet because we haven't booked yet. We are waiting for some of the travel agents or Princess to give some perks. If we book with Princess, can we later transfer our reservation to an agent? We can with RCL but have to transfer within a month of booking. Does princess do this?

OH AND WASHERS AND DRYERS? LAUNDRY ROOM? REALLY? I never heard of this. Are they open 24/7? how much? can we use it as much as we want to or is there a limit? I am pleasantly surprised at this..Where is it located on Crown? and is there a machine to purchase detergent or should I bring some from home? I can bring those purex sheets...love those, they go from washer to dryer.

I am liking Princess more and more...:)

I haven't joined the roll call yet because we haven't booked yet. We are waiting for some of the travel agents or Princess to give some perks. If we book with Princess, can we later transfer our reservation to an agent? We can with RCL but have to transfer within a month of booking. Does princess do this? You can transfer a Princess booking to a Travel Agent anytime up until final payment.

OH AND WASHERS AND DRYERS? LAUNDRY ROOM? REALLY? I never heard of this. Are they open 24/7? Usually aroud 7 AM until around 10 PM how much? $2 wash, $2 dry can we use it as much as we want to or is there a limit? You can use it all day long every day if you wish (subject to other passengers also wanting to use it). I am pleasantly surprised at this..Where is it located on Crown? There is one on every deck with passenger cabins except the Lido deck. and is there a machine to purchase detergent yes or should I bring some from home? I can bring those purex sheets...love those, they go from washer to dryer. A better alternative to using the machine purchased detergents.

I am liking Princess more and more...:)

See above in red

The laundry room is so nice to have! Something that I do miss on RCCL. I am an early riser so I did a load early in the AM (6AM...I am an early riser!) Drank coffee during the wash cycle, then go back put in dryer.

We also really like Any tiem dining on Crown. It really IS anytime. RCCL doesn't do a very good job with this, Princess does a nice job. Depending on where (Location) you go, tables for two are harder to get at the later evening seating. That is what I noticed in the Mediterranean crusie we took. There are two dining rooms that are anytime, so you do have a choice as to which dinign room you want to eat at.

Hope that helps!

I haven't joined the roll call yet because we haven't booked yet. We are waiting for some of the travel agents or Princess to give some perks. If we book with Princess, can we later transfer our reservation to an agent? We can with RCL but have to transfer within a month of booking. Does princess do this?
If you transfer to a TA, make sure you transfer it to a TA that specializes in Princess bookings and books a lot of them every day, perhaps 20+/day. Princess allows TAs to discount fares for their customers (but they can't advertise these fares) and you can often save 10-20% plus get perks from one of these TAs. If all your TA is giving you is perhaps a $50 OBC, find another TA that will give you a nice discount AND an OBC and/or other perk.

If you own 100 shares of Carnival Corporation stock, you can apply for an OBC, from $50-$250, depending on the length of your cruise (http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=140690&p=irol-sharebenefit). If one or both of you are military or ex-military, you can get an OBC. Princess allows OBCs to be combined. For my next cruise, I'll have $475 in OBC plus a 16% discount on the cruise fare. :)

Archived