Interior

My husband and I (honeymoon cruise last week, married two weeks tomorrow!!!!) are already planning our next cruise for next summer. The issue is we can only go in the summer, DH and I both teachers. The price difference between interior and oceanview is quite a large gap so we're debating just doing an interior as typically our drapes are shut anyways and we spend very little time in our room. I have never stayed in an interior and am worried I may get annoyed because I can't see out the window if I need to? Any thoughts? Is it worth the savings?

I think this is completely up to you. Asking us what we think should really have no bearing on your decision, because only you and hubby are on this cruise and have to stay in your cabin. Know what I mean? This is completely subjective.

Blessings on your marriage. :)

I have also cruised in an inside cabin, it was fine. Used the tv tuned to the bow cam for that sense of day and night, as mentioned already. If you aren't going to do that because you wish not to be disturbed by the sunrise, then do take a small flashlight for mid-night potty trips.... inside cabins are really dark when all the lights are out. It's definitely a nice bit of savings, and you can ask to be put on the upgrade list when you make your reservation. Ya never know. Also, depending on which ship you sail, consider an PR (promenade room). I find them to be reasonably priced, a middle option so to speak, and you get a view of something, at least.

Congrats on your wedding, and many happy years full of super fun cruises to you!

Congratulations!

I only book balcony rooms because I personally have dealt with motion sickness my entire life. Growing up, my dad had a little plane and if I didn't sit up front, I would experience very negative reactions. I also had an incident at age 10 where I threw up on a ferry from Seattle to Vancouver. I am now a boat owner and captain of a little 22-ft Sea Ray boat and all is good (I am taking my niece and nephews out to Lake Travis tomorrow).

I've dealt with sea sickness because I have learned to use the air and horizon to get me through.

I went on my first cruise in 1995 in an interior and that was the last for me. I was in my early 20's then (I am now 39) and didn't spend any time in the room so it didn't matter except for the nasty sea-sickness. I did take make me dizzy at times being in an inside.

I know a person that can only fly first class because she needs oxygen. Me - I've never flown first class. Why waste the money on something I don't care about? Sure, I've suffered leg and back cramps for a few hours flying to Euorpe or Tahiti- big deal, I'll stretch when I get off of the plane.

If you don't spend time in the room and don't care about motion sickness- why spend the money? I don't do it on hotel upgrades at resorts unless I really care. Most of the time when I go to resorts I am fine with the "garden view" rooms. Some of the time, I really care and those are the times I step up and pay the difference. It's the same with a cruise.

Anyway, I only wrote this because for people with fears of claustraphobia (sp?), or sea-sickness, etc., I wouldn't recommend an inside.

I mostly cruise in interior rooms. Two factors to consider over an outside:

- the day/night thing. Is this important to you - I find I sleep better inside, especially on my recent Norwegian cruise when it was only (kind of) dark for about four hours :)

- the view. If the window is at the head of the bed(s) and if you are down the near the waterline with a porthole, you are going to have work quite hard to get any benefit from the view!

Bottom line for me is that there is almost no benefit at all in an outside that costs more than an interior - I tend to look at pricing of interiors and balconies and skip over the OVs.

What ship are you looking at? My mom was my cruise buddy and we always sailed in balconies, but after she passed away I became a solo cruiser in an inside cabin. On RCL ships I always pick a cabin near the aft elevators so I have easy access outside. I really like the Voyager class ships because all the insides are on upper decks wheas the oceanviews are almost all on decks 2 & 3. As someone pointed out, the window is above your head plus the view from the lower decks is not the best. I also tried a promenade cabin, but the window didn't do anything for me. I spend very little time in my cabin, but when I am there, it's usually just to sleep, change clothes, or veg a little - I certainly don't need a window to do those things.

If you're booking for next summer, you should have your choice of inside cabins now.

I wouldn't hesitate to book an inside to save money.

Once you book, you should check the RCI website regularly (like every day) to see if the price of the cabins come down. Before final payment, you can call to get the price adjustment for the cabin you booked, or to move to an outside or balcony cabin and pay the difference if those prices become more reasonable.

AFter final payment, if the prices for the higher category cabins come down, you can move, however you can no longer get the price adjustment if the price of your cabin category comes down.

We have had many insides. Recently, we have done several balconies. Being able to catch those Senior discounts (DH is finally eligible!) and using our Diamond balcony discount, sometimes there isn't much difference from inside to balcony. Still look at the price difference for every cruise. Depends on how much more for the balcony and if it is worth it.

We are looking at doing 2 cruises in Australia in Winter of 2014, and looking at insides. There is a big price difference from inside to oceanview and balcony, and the airfare alone to Australia is huge!

More savings means more cruises! Always a great thing!

We tried our first inside cabin on our 13th cruise, and loved it. Then last December we fell in love with aft balconies. The more we cruise, the more we are fine-tuning our preferences as we see what makes the most enjoyable cruise for us. At this point, we are pretty much booking insides for "minor" or "extra" cruises and aft balconies for "major" cruises, with nothing in between. I do have one cruise booked in an outside and if the difference wasn't so small ($30 pp), would change to an inside. If an outside cabin is $549 pp and an inside is $399 pp, we refer to that as the "$300 window" to decide if it is worth it.

Archived