Question about the Lanai cabins

cricri7

Hi guys.....I will probably go back to Bermuda on the Veendam next month even though I just came back. I enjoy Bermuda very much and am very sad that Holland is stopping this cruise. I am looking at some cabins and wondering if the Lanai would be worth the expense. I travel solo so pay 200% and always book insides. I enjoy the lower promenade deck very much. It is one of my favorite places to go read so I was wondering about the couple of hundreds more.

*Do they really clean the deck at 5:30AM each morning? If so, is it very loud?

*I read about people taking your chairs but the Bermuda cruise may be different because there never seems to be people there, or very rarely.

*Do people jog there in the early morning and you feel the thumping inside the cabin?

*Have you ever had people congregate late at night talking loudly?

I am hesitating between a J inside on the same deck and a Lanai. What do you guys think?

I sleep with a white noise machine on so never heard any deck cleaning or people congregating at night outside the lanai. I didn't hear any thumping from people jogging either.

I've also had the inside J cabins on the Maasdam and liked those too.

I liked the lanai since it gave me direct access to the promenade deck and my chairs were always available. On our cruise , they were doing a lot of painting of the hull and lower promenade railings and the smell was very overwhelming and it limited my use of those chairs. Hopefully, they are done with the painting now.

We've had Lower Promenade cabins four times on S or R ships.

The only noise we've heard at 5:30ish is when they squirt our window with the hose, and yes, it's every morning.

Never had a Lanai, so I can't say about chair thieves.

Never had any jogging noise any time of day, but if I did I would call the front desk about it. Jogging is not allowed.

Once in a while a group of people will walk by talking loudly, but we've never had them congregate, day or night. Once we had a guitar player on the bench outside our window for maybe an hour, but it didn't bother us enough to ask him to move.

Hi guys.....I will probably go back to Bermuda on the Veendam next month even though I just came back. I enjoy Bermuda very much and am very sad that Holland is stopping this cruise. I am looking at some cabins and wondering if the Lanai would be worth the expense. I travel solo so pay 200% and always book insides. I enjoy the lower promenade deck very much. It is one of my favorite places to go read so I was wondering about the couple of hundreds more.

*I read about people taking your chairs but the Bermuda cruise may be different because there never seems to be people there, or very rarely.

*Do people jog there in the early morning and you feel the thumping inside the cabin?

I am hesitating between a J inside on the same deck and a Lanai. What do you guys think?

I haven't been in a lanai cabin but did early morning sunrise walks on the Promenade deck on a ship that had them. Yes the decks and lanai windows were getting cleaned but was very quiet - no real noise that I noticed walking past them.

If these had stayed ocean view window cabins, the same activities would be taking place too but just outside the promenade deck window instead of a lanai cabin glass door.

Jogging is prohibited and there were only a very few people out, mainly just out looking at the sunrise quietly. No loud conversations or even large groups -sunrise time tended to bring out the solitary souls on this ship I was on.

I think the issue of others taking reserved chairs is not the problem it was when this whole lanai thing started. They now have different chair cushion covers and clear signs indicating they are reserved. HAL ships tend to attract very quiet and respectful passengers and that is honored if you had to call in a complaint.

As you know, the J-cabin across the passageway is larger, has much more storage space, has significantly more desk space, and has the large shower instead of the high tub and larger vanity.

It's also steps away from that same promenade deck.

The only question is whether or not you could get a lounger in a place nearby. While in Bermuda, most certainly you could as people will be ashore.

On the sea days you might have to work at that a bit more.

Thank you all so much for your quick replies!

I am a light sleeper and get also miffed when I hear too much noise. I was wondering if you can hear sounds coming from the atrium. Has anyone heard noise from there?

I have been on the Veendam 4 times and this last cabin I had was the one from hell sound wise. Everyone was talking loudly, doors were always banging, teenagers were walking with their ipods not muted and the music was very loud....I could go on and on! The other 3 cabins I had were so peaceful that I was very surprised this time. I do not want to have so much noise this time so I was looking at J's or Lanai's. It will cost me more but peace comes at a cost.

I know I must sound a bit crazy but I teach high school so I live in a VERY noisy environment 10 months out of the year so I seek peace during the 2 other months...haha...

Thanks again:)

We were in a Lanai last summer and will be in one tomorrow .

Last summer if they cleaned at 5:30 we were not aware as we were sleeping .

We did not hear thumping from joggers .

No people congregated at night talking loudly

I was wondering if you can hear sounds coming from the atrium. Has anyone heard noise from there?

I've been a regular in the J-cabins on Lower Promenade for years. I have never heard a peep from the Atrium area.

Sometimes in the evening I can hear the music from the Ocean Bar as I approach the Atrium, but I have to be close to the end of the passageway for that.

Oftentimes there is a putting game going on in the atrium, and I see the crowd before I hear them.

As you know, the J-cabin across the passageway is larger, has much more storage space, has significantly more desk space, and has the large shower instead of the high tub and larger vanity.

It's also steps away from that same promenade deck.

The only question is whether or not you could get a lounger in a place nearby. While in Bermuda, most certainly you could as people will be ashore.

On the sea days you might have to work at that a bit more.

On our Bermuda cruise, the deck chairs were mostly unoccupied. Personally, I love the shower instead of the high tub.

I am a light sleeper and get also miffed when I hear too much noise. I was wondering if you can hear sounds coming from the atrium. Has anyone heard noise from there?

I have been on the Veendam 4 times and this last cabin I had was the one from hell sound wise. Everyone was talking loudly, doors were always banging, teenagers were walking with their ipods not muted and the music was very loud....I could go on and on! The other 3 cabins I had were so peaceful that I was very surprised this time. I do not want to have so much noise this time so I was looking at J's or Lanai's. It will cost me more but peace comes at a cost.

I know I must sound a bit crazy but I teach high school so I live in a VERY noisy environment 10 months out of the year so I seek peace during the 2 other months...haha...

Thanks again:)

Good you can get the cabin number you want now that you are getting a feel for what works best. Yes, you have earned your peace and quiet and a lot more!

Yes they clean the deck at 5:30 but its not that loud.

You'll have your chairs

No jogging allowed

I guess it could happen but unlikely.

I think you'd be happy in either cabin. Have a great cruise with hopefully some peace and quiet.

We loved our Lanai on the Veendam..We also enjoy the Promenade deck & it was lovely having our own dedicated deck chairs..

Never heard them washing our windows & never heard any noise at all..

Cheers...Betty

Yes, every morning. We heard it. It sounds like it is raining out. It didn't bother us.

This happened to us. When we went to use them, we just mentioned to the people sitting there that they were our chairs and they got up and moved. It wasn't a big deal. From what I noticed, many of the reserved deck chairs had the "reserved" signs that had fallen off. The chairs definitely need to be refinished or replaced.

No jogging. Lots of people do walk, especially during the Walk for the Cure. Some people thump when walking, but I only noticed it while outside, and even then it wasn't overly annoying.

Yes, it does happen once in a while. However, it wasn't any louder than the tv in the room next door.

Lucky you going again! While I have not stayed in a Lanai cabin, I will say this- we were on deck 5, and we were literally steps away from both what felt like a private aft deck (where we actually saw a whale from) and from the stairs to the 6th deck. It never felt like we were missing out on anything not being able to be in a Lanai cabin (we were in a quad) even though I had originally really wished we could.

If I could do the trip again next month, I would still take a cabin with a window on the 5th deck, slightly aft, near the stairs.

Just got back Yesterday

The clean the deck sometime before 7:30 because our cushions were out by then every morning. I couldn't say when because they didn't wake us up, and my Wife is a light sleeper.

Never happened to us, our chairs were always available.

Jogging isn't allowed. If anyone did jog, we didn't hear them.

No

Purely a matter of money. We originally had HH (outside obstructed) and took advantage of an upsale for $79 pp. Well worth it, IMO.

Thanks to all of you guys.....I finally made my decision....I took the Lanai! Since the Veendam won't be going back to Bermuda, I don't know if I would get the opportunity to book one again. I like the fact that there isn't much people there on port days and even on sea days! It is a bit more expensive than the J but I feel like lounging on the lanai, which is my favorite place on the ship.

I almost booked the J, some posters were really good in selling it to me, but having my reserved chair all day made me go the Lanai way.

I will come back after my cruise, I am sailing on August 12, to tell you guys about it.

I almost booked the J, some posters were really good in selling it to me, but having my reserved chair all day made me go the Lanai way.

I will come back after my cruise, I am sailing on August 12, to tell you guys about it.

Please do! I'll be looking forward to reading all about it.

Hope you have a great time on your very own chair.

<SNIP>

If you have any kind of phone that has apps, you can find a free white noise generator. Start using it now, just at low volume at first. After you're used to it, you can slowly increase the volume.

No need to carry another thing, the phone, iPad or laptop will be fine. We've been using one for years. After a month or so, it becomes like an off switch. You won't be able to stay awake when you turn it on.

We only travel 5-6 times a year for business or pleasure. So we need it to sleep when we're away.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

First time on HAL. Considering booking Veendom SA trip in Dec. What is the situation with deck chairs? How do you go about reserving?Considering J inside on lower promenade but what is the deck chair situation on that deck? Are there other decks where chairs are available?

First time on HAL. Considering booking Veendom SA trip in Dec. What is the situation with deck chairs? How do you go about reserving?Considering J inside on lower promenade but what is the deck chair situation on that deck? Are there other decks where chairs are available?
There is no reserving of deck chairs except those for the Lanai cabins. We've never had any problems finding deck chairs on the Lower Promenade on any HAL ship, even those with the Lanai cabins. On the Veendam there are plenty of deck chairs in the Retreat area around the aft Lido deck and up on top of the Crow's Nest.

Archived