Huge landslide in Glacier Bay NP

dakrewser

"When the cliff collapsed in the national park in southeast Alaska on June 11, it sent rock and ice coursing down a valley and over a lovely white glacier in what perhaps was the largest landslide recorded in North America." [the weather channel]

Yet it was so remote that it wasn't recorded until a month later!

"The rumbling was enough so that it showed up as a 3.4-magnitude earthquake in Alaska. The seismic event also was recorded in Canada. The massive landslide occurred in a remote valley beneath the 11,750-foot Lituya Mountain in the Fairweather Range about six miles from the border with British Columbia."

Wow...... thanks for the information.

Can you imagine the noise that 'CALVING' must have made?!!!

Hopefully because of its remoteness there was no injury or damage to property.

It must be an exquisite sight.

The part that collapsed is so remote that it can't be seen from the ships in Glacier Bay, only by air. The debris that came down left a huge 'black mess' where it landed -- never actually got to 'calve' into the water.

Very interesting. I'm sure they have more landside's then we realize and avalanches too, though this seems to have been a 'big' one. I wonder if the only reason they even knew it happened was because once where you had a white ice flow, now its covered with alot of dirt and debris.

another non cruise related topic of old news.

BG

July 12th story is "old"?

And, again, why are you reading threads yo obviously aren't interested in? Others are - does that bother you so much?

I would expect you to at least realize people would wonder if it was relavent if they had cruises -- what would they see, would they even be able to get into Glacier Bay -- nevermind I was going to be more than snarky in my response.

"When the cliff collapsed in the national park in southeast Alaska on June 11, it sent rock and ice coursing down a valley and over a lovely white glacier in what perhaps was the largest landslide recorded in North America." ...
Unbelievable that it took a month for us to learn about perhaps the largest landslide recorded in North America! Thanks for posting the link.

OK....this may be petty, or rude of me, or I-don't-know-what.

But I'm glad when a report says something like....

"The seismic event also was recorded in Canada" :eek: (gosh! THAT far away?)

....they at least qualify Canada, in this case, is 6 whole miles. Not exactly the other side of the planet when looking at a seismic event.

And OK - maybe it's just the painkillers I'm on tonight....making me click "submit reply" rather than "delete". :cool:

"When the cliff collapsed in the national park in southeast Alaska on June 11, it sent rock and ice coursing down a valley and over a lovely white glacier in what perhaps was the largest landslide recorded in North America." [the weather channel]

"The rumbling was enough so that it showed up as a 3.4-magnitude earthquake in Alaska. The seismic event also was recorded in Canada. The massive landslide occurred in a remote valley beneath the 11,750-foot Lituya Mountain in the Fairweather Range about six miles from the border with British Columbia."

Thanks Dave for the update! :)

Don't mind the bad attitudes, there aplenty here sometimes.

Thank you for posting this information.

The power of Mother Nature.

Off topic but related.... does anyone else have trouble pulling up any page to Huffington Post. I almost dread looking at one of their news articles because it always freezes up my computer no matter where I click it from. I guessing it is all their ads/graphics but it is annoying.

Off topic but related.... does anyone else have trouble pulling up any page to Huffington Post. I almost dread looking at one of their news articles because it always freezes up my computer no matter where I click it from. I guessing it is all their ads/graphics but it is annoying.

Their pages are certainly busy, but my 2004 dell computer with XP is not having any problem. I'm using the 'Chrome' browser which tends to tie up less computer memory than other browsers.

If you are on a windows computer, click simultaneous CNTL-ALT-DEL to bring up the task manager and delete any processes that are hogging memory. Some anti-virus programs are notorious memory hogs, as well as processes Microsoft keeps launching to scan your computer. Disabling automatic updates to Windows tends to stop these Microsoft hogs; update manually when you are not doing anything else. Good luck!

Their pages are certainly busy, but my 2004 dell computer with XP is not having any problem. I'm using the 'Chrome' browser which tends to tie up less computer memory than other browsers.

If you are on a windows computer, click simultaneous CNTL-ALT-DEL to bring up the task manager and delete any processes that are hogging memory. Some anti-virus programs are notorious memory hogs, as well as processes Microsoft keeps launching to scan your computer. Disabling automatic updates to Windows tends to stop these Microsoft hogs; update manually when you are not doing anything else. Good luck!

Pete, we probably have the same computer :D I got my Dell in 2004 too with XP. I should probably try pulling it up in Chrome or Friefox. I got to the point I can only use Facebook in Firefox and it works perfectly. Will try Huff post in CHrome or FiIrefox. Thanks :)

Pete, we probably have the same computer :D I got my Dell in 2004 too with XP. I should probably try pulling it up in Chrome or Friefox. I got to the point I can only use Facebook in Firefox and it works perfectly. Will try Huff post in CHrome or FiIrefox. Thanks :)

Yes, Firefox is good, but I kept having problems after long browsing sessions. It seems that Firefox is not good at releasing resources after you have deleted a tab, so memory used gradually builds up over time. Killing the browser, and then restarting fixes the problem.

Archived