Souvenirs.....What was I thinkin'?

There is an active thread about favorite souvenirs which brought up a memory and then a question. Have you ever bought something that you thought you HAD to have, couldn't leave without it only to get it home and wonder "what was I thinkin'?"

My story...On our fist trip to Hawaii (a long time ago) we came home with a wardrobe of hawaiian print clothes. That doesn't sound too terribly bad now, but at that time hawaiian print wasn't popular anywhere except Hawaii. Got home with all these clothes and adsolutely no where to where them and didn't want too.

There is an active thread about favorite souvenirs which brought up a memory and then a question. Have you ever bought something that you thought you HAD to have, couldn't leave without it only to get it home and wonder "what was I thinkin'?"

My story...On our fist trip to Hawaii (a long time ago) we came home with a wardrobe of hawaiian print clothes. That doesn't sound too terribly bad now, but at that time hawaiian print wasn't popular anywhere except Hawaii. Got home with all these clothes and adsolutely no where to where them and didn't want too.

I have a closet with lots of Hawaiian shirts I never wear also...:)

My partner has an addiction to hammocks. Every cruise we've ever taken he HAS to buy a new hammock. We have a multitude of hammocks stored in the attic, closets, under beds, ect.... Its safe to say if they ever stop making brightly colored rope hammocks and the value goes through the roof our net worth will skyrocket! I used to try and reason with him that we didnt need another one but now I just turn the other way and let him deal with it.... As they obviously wont fit in a suitcase or rolling luggage its always comical to watch him try and manouver through the ship when we disembark, pulling his lugguage behind him and trying to bang into as little as possible with a five foot hammock rolled up and slung over his shoulder. He looks a bit like Gilligan....Ill admit it. :D

In either Panama or Costa Rica I bought an "UGLY as a monkey's armpit" Ocarina! It was made of clay and decorated and the guy that sold it to me was playing Stairway to Heaven on it. I don't play the ocarina. I don't WANT to play the ocarina. And it is too ugly to display. And get this...I bought TWO of them. (gave one away as a joke gift).

My partner has an addiction to hammocks. Every cruise we've ever taken he HAS to buy a new hammock. We have a multitude of hammocks stored in the attic, closets, under beds, ect.... Its safe to say if they ever stop making brightly colored rope hammocks and the value goes through the roof our net worth will skyrocket! I used to try and reason with him that we didnt need another one but now I just turn the other way and let him deal with it.... As they obviously wont fit in a suitcase or rolling luggage its always comical to watch him try and manouver through the ship when we disembark, pulling his lugguage behind him and trying to bang into as little as possible with a five foot hammock rolled up and slung over his shoulder. He looks a bit like Gilligan....Ill admit it. :D

Hahaha! That's funny. I'm not sure I could keep myself from heckling him as he tried to carry it off the ship.

how about the cute beaded hair they do on the beaches - how any of us have fallen victim to that?

I was always concerned about head lice being on the combs they use so many years ago I brought my own knowing out daughter would want a few braids when we got to the Bahamas.

I always wonder where all the oversized Mexican sombreros that I see some people wearing during debarkation will end up once their new owners get home...

I can relate.

On our first cruise, we had the opportunity to try the Rum Cakes. I don't know what came over us: tropical setting, vacation mode, thinking gifts, but we ended up purchasing not a couple but six of those darn things. (Not to mention several of those little one's.) After two, you start to grow tired of them. After 3, you start to think "if I eat another one, I will lose it". We never made it thru the 4th one.

We are now like the kid that ate too much of something and have no interest in trying them again. Funny, we were just talking about this earlier in the week when we started working on the budgets for our September and November cruises. What timing...:)

I can relate.

On our first cruise, we had the opportunity to try the Rum Cakes. I don't know what came over us: tropical setting, vacation mode, thinking gifts, but we ended up purchasing not a couple but six of those darn things. (Not to mention several of those little one's.) After two, you start to grow tired of them. After 3, you start to think "if I eat another one, I will lose it". We never made it thru the 4th one.

We are now like the kid that ate too much of something and have no interest in trying them again. Funny, we were just talking about this earlier in the week when we started working on the budgets for our September and November cruises. What timing...:)

I chuckled at this post. They always talk on and on about the rum cakes at the Port and Shopping talks. I never understood what all the raving was about..

DH fell victim to the RCCL robes:(. We live on the gulf coast....those robes have to weight 100 lbs each.....never, never, never used them. We'd have to move to Alaska.

We bought a hammock...just one. Had just had a screen enclosure added to our house and that hammock is great.

Braids....I'd probably be a victim of that (kinda think they're cute) but my hair is too short.

Sure glad I'm not the only one with buyers remorse :D

I chuckled at this post. They always talk on and on about the rum cakes at the Port and Shopping talks. I never understood what all the raving was about..

They were good, but stick to just one. And don't buy on an empty stomach.

All of my souvenier shot glasses have been given to charity. I am really glad that we purchased a lovely set of vases on a glass factory tour in Venice though.

Now some random drunk can take shot and ask himself unknowingly..."When did I go to Barbados??? Have I been to Barbados??? Wait...I've never been to Barbados."

kidding, of course :D

When we went to Hawaii we brought home a 135 lb clam shell. It cost us more to fly it back then we paid for it. Had to fly it on a cargo plane. That was 30 years ago and we still have it. I have had all sorts of ideas for it but never followed through. It justs sits on my landing with other sea shells in it.

Batman kite. :rolleyes: At a port stop in Puerto Vallarta there was a woman on the beach flying 3 of these at the same time and selling them. 12 inch Batman and Superman plastic dolls with a big white plastic parachute behind them to catch the wind. I purchased one for our neighbor's young son.

I walked up to the park with them to watch the first flight. Batman went up and made about 6 flips in the parachute lines and crashed to the ground. The strings holding the parachute were so hopelessy tangled and knotted around the doll that it wasn't really worth trying to salvage him. :D

I probably should have requested instructions from the beach lady.

That's hilarious! So does he just switch them out according to his mood?

I try to stick to commemorative spoons' date=' shot glasses and tacky magnets. I will occasionally buy other house decorations. But why the heck did I buy two royal caribbean robes??? We've rarely used them.[/quote']

Love the magnets! They don't take up room in the suitcase and i can smack em on the fridge when i get home. Also love coffee mugs. I always buy ones that i can use and not just for decoration, so i can remember the places I have been when i have my morning coffee!

I was always concerned about head lice being on the combs they use so many years ago I brought my own knowing out daughter would want a few braids when we got to the Bahamas.

Me too! Did u ever look at their gross combs? Yuck!!

Batman kite. :rolleyes: At a port stop in Puerto Vallarta there was a woman on the beach flying 3 of these at the same time and selling them. 12 inch Batman and Superman plastic dolls with a big white plastic parachute behind them to catch the wind. I purchased one for our neighbor's young son.

I walked up to the park with them to watch the first flight. Batman went up and made about 6 flips in the parachute lines and crashed to the ground. The strings holding the parachute were so hopelessy tangled and knotted around the doll that it wasn't really worth trying to salvage him. :D

I probably should have requested instructions from the beach lady.

Lol

Archived