Another HAl item gone

Watson's aunt

So is this new port guide magazine meant for us to take home, or is it supposed to live in the cabin?

I took it home. We didn't have it delivered, but came across a couple in a stack at the atrium, so I picked one up. Actually what caught my eye in the first place was the bear on the cover, because we were going bear watching in a couple days.

So is this new port guide magazine meant for us to take home, or is it supposed to live in the cabin?

The new Port Explorer is for you to use on your cruise. The pages can be torn out for each port.

If you don't see one in your cabin -- ask for one. We had no idea that this was something new and since there wasn't one in our cabin -- that's when we asked about the old Port guides.

We got one on the last sea day and I brought it home with me.

I took it home. We didn't have it delivered, but came across a couple in a stack at the atrium, so I picked one up. Actually what caught my eye in the first place was the bear on the cover, because we were going bear watching in a couple days.

On the Amsterdam - there weren't any of these new Exporer port guides on display anywhere.

I wish they'd just provide each cabin with one sheet listing all of the port agents, at the beginning of each cruise (with extra copies available at guest services and the gangway), and skip the port info sheets. Big waste of paper IMHO, especially since one side is nothing but ads.

Also skip all of the art auction flyers etc. Those went straight into my recycling bin. They can always put information on the TV channels.

That is a good idea. That way I could the Port Agent in my tiny purse at the beginning of the cruise and have it there for each port.

In the back of the "From the Captain" booklet -- there is a list of emergency contacts which is very poor. Mostly State Police, law enforcement, etc.

Just a cursory view of the booklet cover & contents you posted looks innovative, informative & somewhat eco-friendly to me.

BTW, I was on the same cruise & recalled the port guides were available on the gangway.

Too bad our paths did not cross.

Be well.

Bon Voyage & Good Health!

Bob:)

They had Ketchikan and Juneau. But nothing for Anchorage, Homer, Kodiak, Victoria.

That is a good idea. That way I could the Port Agent in my tiny purse at the beginning of the cruise and have it there for each port.

In the back of the "From the Captain" booklet -- there is a list of emergency contacts which is very poor. Mostly State Police, law enforcement, etc.

If I ever pick up the From the Captain booklet, I wash my hands immediately. That booklet stays in the cabin from cruise to cruise and some of them don't look so clean and fresh. IMO

On the Amsterdam - there weren't any of these new Exporer port guides on display anywhere.

We were on the Amsterdam, same cruise as you, deck 3 on a table beside the atrium clock, just outside the offices there were a bunch of them stacked. We walked by and I saw the bear on the cover which interested me, so we just grabbed one off the stack.

We were on the Amsterdam, same cruise as you, deck 3 on a table beside the atrium clock, just outside the offices there were a bunch of them stacked. We walked by and I saw the bear on the cover which interested me, so we just grabbed one off the stack.

HMM -- we rarely went down to deck 3 -- only a couple of times to leave and enter the ship. Other wise we would have no reason to go down there. And when we did go down there. We never walked into the atrium area itself.

If I ever pick up the From the Captain booklet, I wash my hands immediately. That booklet stays in the cabin from cruise to cruise and some of them don't look so clean and fresh. IMO

This is the first time I have seen one in the cabin that looked new -- not a mark on it -- no pages ruined -- really in good shape.

HMM -- we rarely went down to deck 3 -- only a couple of times to leave and enter the ship. Other wise we would have no reason to go down there. And when we did go down there. We never walked into the atrium area itself.

Our cabin was down there and we were outside alot so we frequented the area, but they sure didn't advertise that these were available. If the bear on the cover hadn't caught my eye when I walked by I would have never know about them.

Same for us. There is almost no occassion when we would be down there. No reason for us to go down there.

Our cabin was down there and we were outside alot so we frequented the area, but they sure didn't advertise that these were available. If the bear on the cover hadn't caught my eye when I walked by I would have never know about them.

JMO -- but they really should have put some of those new Explorer guides out on the Port Shopping desk right across from the Explorations Cafe bar.

Maybe then we would have seen it and checked it out.

There are a lot more people that go by the Explorations cafe, FCC desk and the Port Shopping desk than being on the Lower Promenade Deck.

Hi

I also was on the 3rd level. My copy was on my bed or desk when I arrvied in my cabin the first day..

On the Amsterdam did you know thy had a luggage scale for passengers to use.

Mary

I guess that explains why everyone was going down the hall with their luggage the last night. I assumed they were going to the gym to weigh it. We bring a tiny luggage scale, but this time it didnt matter we werent flying.

JMO -- but they really should have put some of those new Explorer guides out on the Port Shopping desk right across from the Explorations Cafe bar.

Maybe then we would have seen it and checked it out.

There are a lot more people that go by the Explorations cafe, FCC desk and the Port Shopping desk than being on the Lower Promenade Deck.

I agree, they should have made them a little more available. There was some good information in there and I'm sure they would be a benefit to all onboard.

This is totally off topic, but I noticed from the pictures that the second formal night was on Icy Strait Point day. I had info that it was on the following sea day. Can anyone who was on the Amsterdam this year verify the second formal night?

I guess that explains why everyone was going down the hall with their luggage the last night. I assumed they were going to the gym to weigh it. We bring a tiny luggage scale, but this time it didnt matter we werent flying.

We also take along a little luggage scale since we have no choice but to fly.

The scale in the gym -- DH checked it out -- it wasn't accurate.

This is totally off topic, but I noticed from the pictures that the second formal night was on Icy Strait Point day. I had info that it was on the following sea day. Can anyone who was on the Amsterdam this year verify the second formal night?

The picture of the new Explorer guide that I posted is incorrect. We find many things posted are incorrect.

The formal nights were:

First Sea Day after we left Seattle

The Second Sea Day after we left Icy Straight Point

The evening of Kodiak

The Last Sea Day after we left Sitka

We also take along a little luggage scale since we have no choice but to fly.

The scale in the gym -- DH checked it out -- it wasn't accurate.

On our Noordam cruise in March there was a scale set up near the purser's desk that was doing constant business the last day of the cruise.

Bed, Bath and Beyond and many other stores sell handheld luggage scales for $9.99 about . They weigh just about nothing and take up little space. We never fly without taking one along with us. I'd far rather pay for an extra suitcase than overweight. I keep a collapsible duffel in front pocket of one of our suitcases. If our bag is near 50 pounds, I take things out of it, put those things in the duffle and pay far less for the extra bag than for overweight.

Radio Shack used to have one of those scales.

Magellans and Amazon probably sell them also, if anyone is interested.

KK - Thanks so much for posting snaps of the "bearly" new Explorer for Alaska. We'll be sailing on Amsterdam's final 14-day Alaskan voyage come September. Can I ask you to confirm that the 2nd formal night is the one between ISP & Anchorage? I'm only asking again because that's in conflict with the schedule printed in your photo - it shows ISP as a formal night. Thanks. :)

Sail - After a few too many flights at thisclose to the weight limit, weighing bags at home on the bathroom scale & again on at available scales at the airport, I finally bought a luggage scale too. I think I got it at Amazon. And yes, I also take an extra, empty duffel bag that can be secured with cable-ties. It is MUCH less expensive to pay an extra-bag fee than a heavy-bag fee. :eek:

Amsterdam

1st night -- smart casual

2nd night -- At Sea -- formal night - for those staying in the PS and Deluxe suite -- the cocktail party was from Noon until 12:30 in the Rembrant Lounge (piano bar)

3rd night -- Ketchikan -- smart casual

4th night -- Tracy Arm -- smart casual

5th night -- Juneau -- smart casual

6th night -- Icy Straight Point -- smart casual

7th night -- At Sea -- Formal

8th night -- Anchorage -- smart casual

9th night -- Homer -- smart casual

10th night -- Kodiak -- Formal -- this was also the night of Le Cirque

11th night -- Hubbard Glacier -- smart casual -- since so many people had signed up for Le Cirque -- this was the second night for it -- this is the one we went to. For those in the PS and Deluxe suites -- at Noon was the Indonesian lunch on the upper level of the dining room.

12th night - Sitka -- smart casual -- This was the International Dinner in the dining room -- it was not like the 4 part one that has been posted. This was also Master Chef Rudi Sodamin Tasting Dinner -- limited to 14 people in the Pinnacle -- we went to that. You have to sign up early for it.

13th night -- At Sea -- Formal -- This was the day for the Mariner's brunch/lunch

14th night -- Victoria -- smart casual.

Archived