Another HAl item gone

Watson's aunt

I went on my first cruise in 2008. If it weren't for my reading of CC, I would have been totally oblivious to Port Agents and the importance of keeping this information with us. I used a TA for my first cruise and she made no mention of this importance piece of information. I am quite sure there are a lot of cruisers that are totally clueless about port agents.

I'm sure many people are unaware of them or what they do or how important they might be. I don't ever recall reading anything about this anywhere. I'm not discounting the importantance of it. But I find it hard to believe I've never heard of such a thing after more than a dozen cruises. Maybe its just my fly by the seat of my pants attitude. I've never been a big supporter of "precaution" in my life.

I went on my first cruise in 2008. If it weren't for my reading of CC, I would have been totally oblivious to Port Agents and the importance of keeping this information with us. I used a TA for my first cruise and she made no mention of this importance piece of information. I am quite sure there are a lot of cruisers that are totally clueless about port agents.

We've been on a great many cruises and have never needed help from the Port Agent but we want to know how to reach him in the event we have a need/something happens while we are ashore. He is your 'friend in town' in you need one.

The first time we go ashore without the contact info is sure to be the time we'll wish we had it. :eek: :)

It is unfortunate that HAL is discontinuing the port guide. I hope what is replacing it contains all the necessary information . I too always took ithe port guide with us just in case we needed to contact the port agent. We won't be back on HAL until December when we do a Panama Canal transit on the Amsterdam so will be interested to see what is offered at that time. Barbara

We always take the Port Agent info with us while in port, but surely security at the port and local law enforcement would have that information if you were left by the ship or had a problem in the foreign country. You wouldn't be stranded because you didn't have the contact info with you.
Thank you! ;)

We always take the Port Agent info with us while in port, but surely security at the port and local law enforcement would have that information if you were left by the ship or had a problem in the foreign country. You wouldn't be stranded because you didn't have the contact info with you.

Maybe,,,,, maybe not.

I wouldn't say for sure a police officer in Halifax or Seattle etc would know the name of HAL's Port Agent. :confused:

Port Security....... is there anyone there after the ship has left if your ship was the only one in that day?

This is what was on the tear out page for Ketchikan (there was something for each port except Icy Straight Point):

New_Tile_Explorer_Guide_005.JPG

New_Tile_Explorer_Guide_006.JPG

Gasp, you mean they recommended "Diamonds International". I never would have known to look for them without the port info sheet.:rolleyes::eek::cool:

Does each line have their own port agent? Are they cruise line employees or port employees?

Either way, I would think that local authorities do know who the contact person is for each line. They have thousands of visitors per day. I would think at least a couple of times a day something comes up (injuries, illness, legal trouble, missing the ship). I doubt the local police are clueless on what to do in these circumstances.

It's probably even easier if your ship was the only one there that day.

Krazy Kruisers, thanks for the preview of the Alaska Explorer booklet. Frankly, it looks a lot more informative than the In Port flyers. Sorry to be dense. are they in your cabin at the start of a cruise?

Also, a comment. It seems crazy to work up these new publications since they will no longer be doing Anchorage, Homer and Kodiak. Were they in the booklet?

On our last two HAL cruises, there was a one piece piece with all the port agents listed for all the ports that I really liked. I just stuck it in my bag and it was there for the entire trip. I don't recall for certain where we located it. First time (Maasdam - April) I ran onto in inadvertently, and last time (June - Amsterdam), I looked for it. It was in the back of the blue in cabin info book, I think.

We had the individual port info pieces on our Amsterdam AK cruise in June. The maps are certainly not good, but better than nothing until one is picked up from the visitor center or in the terminal.

The times, they are a-changing!!

Krazy Kruisers, thanks for the preview of the Alaska Explorer booklet. Frankly, it looks a lot more informative than the In Port flyers. Sorry to be dense. are they in your cabin at the start of a cruise?

Also, a comment. It seems crazy to work up these new publications since they will no longer be doing Anchorage, Homer and Kodiak. Were they in the booklet?

They are suppose to be in your cabin at the beginning of the cruise -- we found out about them on the last sea day before we got to Victoria. Our concierge got us a copy.

Ports listed for our cruise were:

Ketchikan

Juneau

Anchorage

Homer

Kodiak

Sitka

Victoria

Since each cabin will only get one copy -- this will save a lot of paper. In the past the In Port guides would be delivered to your cabin -- then many people would pick up another copy as they left the ship.

I do like the idea that now they list some suggested places where you can eat.

I got the biggest kick out of seeing DI in Ketchikan. I'm sure the same guys stand behind the same counters in St. Thomas the rest of the year after Alaska season ends. We walked in for a yuk and I said "See you in St. Thomas" as we were leaving and they laughted. :)

My guess is that if you want to be on the list of suggested or recommended places to eat you only have to cough up the promotional fee to HAL or thier agent. That is probably the only ask in order to get 'recommended' No different that the retail establishments.

Regarding the Explorer publication, additional copies were available in the library. I'm sure you can get one at the Front Office, as well. We also had one waiting for us in our cabin when we embarked Westerdam a couple of weeks ago. But, it was so nice I didn't want it to become dog-eared.

I got the biggest kick out of seeing DI in Ketchikan. I'm sure the same guys stand behind the same counters in St. Thomas the rest of the year after Alaska season ends. We walked in for a yuk and I said "See you in St. Thomas" as we were leaving and they laughted. :)

Yup, they pack themselves up and head to the Caribbean after the Alaska season ends.

Seeing DI didn't surprise me, but I was surprised to see Del Sol in Alaska, considering how much of Alaska's sunshine is "liquid."

We have not been very impressed with the Port Guides. We have found the info to be out of date and the maps not detailed enough, nor are they always accurate. I always copy out the Port Agent info onto a little card that I stick in my purse.

On the Prinsendam last fall, we were given a business-size card with the port info for each port, it was in our stateroom the night before a port. I thought that was one of the best things we got from HAL.

That cruise also provided another sheet of paper with the American embassy/consulate information for each port & country. That was in our stateroom at the beginning of each leg of the cruise (14-day Holy Land Explorer, followed by 21-day Navigation to the New World).

They are suppose to be in your cabin at the beginning of the cruise -- we found out about them on the last sea day before we got to Victoria. Our concierge got us a copy.

Ports listed for our cruise were:

Ketchikan

Juneau

Anchorage

Homer

Kodiak

Sitka

Victoria

Since each cabin will only get one copy -- this will save a lot of paper. In the past the In Port guides would be delivered to your cabin -- then many people would pick up another copy as they left the ship.

I do like the idea that now they list some suggested places where you can eat.

Just a cursory view of the booklet cover & contents you posted looks innovative, informative & somewhat eco-friendly to me.

BTW, I was on the same cruise & recalled the port guides were available on the gangway.

Too bad our paths did not cross.

Be well.

Bon Voyage & Good Health!

Bob:)

Unfortunately we always thought these port info sheets were extremely deficient, out of date and unhelpful and should have either updated or not bothered with. They have long appeared to be nothing more than a gratuitous afterthought of marginal information and ads, and should/could have been so much better.

That is pretty much our view of the port info. We won't miss it. Somehow we've managed to ignore the port agent info for over 40 years. The port info sheets were certainly no replacement for doing our own research before leaving home.

I wish they'd just provide each cabin with one sheet listing all of the port agents, at the beginning of each cruise (with extra copies available at guest services and the gangway), and skip the port info sheets. Big waste of paper IMHO, especially since one side is nothing but ads.

Also skip all of the art auction flyers etc. Those went straight into my recycling bin. They can always put information on the TV channels.

Archived