Am I nuts to spend this money in Alaska on excursions?

FunShipCruiser05

I estimate around 1400.00 in excursions per person

Whittier - Glacier cruise plus train transfer from anchorage. 75 for train and 140 for the cruise

Skagway - Ferry to Haines for nature sightseeing and 50 minute flightseeing, 6 hour tour package. 390.00 per person including transportation (not a ship excursion). Return to ship for 4.25 hour excursion to Yukon and suspension bridge for 99.00

Juneau - Harv and Marv and Mendenhall on our own. 160 for h&m, 35 for city bus round trip

Ketchikan - Island Wings Misty Fjord - 239 per person

1138.00 for all of that. Add in Food for all of that, I'd say 1300.00 for all of those ports. Then add in any shopping, so say 1400.00 maybe 1500.00 in all

Is that toooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo expensive? or a typical budget if there is such a thing

Yes this is Alaska and the tours must make their $$$ for the year in 20 or so weeks. In Skagway you could rent a car and do the Yukon tour - including the bridge (not that much of a attraction IMHO) on your own for a lot less - I believe that they charge you 20.00pp to cross the bridge.

In Juneau - get H&M to drop you at the Glacier - it is closer to Auke bay than the cruise ship docks. All you need to do then is pay the 3.00 pp to enter the park and a one way trip on the Blue Bus aka Glacier Express for 8.00 pp

I think it comes down to what you really want to do and what you can afford. If you can't afford that, then don't do it. If you can afford it, then only YOU can decide if it's worth it to you. If you eliminate an excursion or 2, will you be happy with the rest of your trip? If you do them all, will you feel guilty or buyers remorse when it's over? Noone else can really answer this for you. It's your vacation and you should balance out your own priorities of what you want to do with what you can afford.

I recommend setting your budget first, then work within that and don't go over.

I think it comes down to what you really want to do and what you can afford. If you can't afford that, then don't do it. If you can afford it, then only YOU can decide if it's worth it to you. If you eliminate an excursion or 2, will you be happy with the rest of your trip? If you do them all, will you feel guilty or buyers remorse when it's over? Noone else can really answer this for you. It's your vacation and you should balance out your own priorities of what you want to do with what you can afford.

I recommend setting your budget first, then work within that and don't go over.

i have set a max budget and this works just about to that budget. I have a family friend that has done alaska, granted not by cruise, but has done it and says alaska is worth every penny and then some. splurge splurge and enjoy it and dont look back if it's the dream vacation. which to me, this is my dream place to visit so no guilty conscience on anything i spend. im just wondering if my budget is out of wack or is there a majority out there that go even higher than me. i know adding the ship in the mix of things, this shoud be close 2,000 spending money.

As others have said it is a matter of personal taste/comfort level with spending that amount of money. When we went to Alaska last month, we spent more than that on our excursions and felt it was well worth it. I was also comfortable spending what I did. Island Wings is definitely worth the price. We did that and loved it. If you have any debate on it, check this video out I did from it.

Tim

It sounds like a fun time!!

We have been on several cruises and have never done an organized tour. We do our :own: tour at 1/2 or 1/10 of the price sometimes. I don't feel like we have missed anything or had less fun. I guess it just depends on how much research you do, what you are willing to plan yourself and your adventurous nature. We just find fun in everything we do.

Everyone I have talked to says the excusions make Alaska, but I think Alaska can stand on its own, excusion or not. We don't have a single one planned, but we have rented cars to go out on our own.

Have fun and enjoy every minute, like a previous poster said, it is a dream and if you can comfortably afford the excusions, don't feel the least bit guilty, you only live once!!:D

It sounds like a fun time!!

We have been on several cruises and have never done an organized tour. We do our :own: tour at 1/2 or 1/10 of the price sometimes. I don't feel like we have missed anything or had less fun. I guess it just depends on how much research you do, what you are willing to plan yourself and your adventurous nature. We just find fun in everything we do.

Everyone I have talked to says the excusions make Alaska, but I think Alaska can stand on its own, excusion or not. We don't have a single one planned, but we have rented cars to go out on our own.

Have fun and enjoy every minute, like a previous poster said, it is a dream and if you can comfortably afford the excusions, don't feel the least bit guilty, you only live once!!:D

Wildlife is a significant popular priority for many people- these "require" tours for consistant success and best use of time, on a single port stop. "Driving" doesn't get on the water or in the air- which, again, is a significant priority for those with the interest, and superior mode of transit compared to the road.

So, the bottom line- is it's a personal choice, and certainly great plans in store for EVERYBODY. No right or wrong- just a great time in Alaska.

i have set a max budget and this works just about to that budget. I have a family friend that has done alaska, granted not by cruise, but has done it and says alaska is worth every penny and then some. splurge splurge and enjoy it and dont look back if it's the dream vacation. which to me, this is my dream place to visit so no guilty conscience on anything i spend. im just wondering if my budget is out of wack or is there a majority out there that go even higher than me. i know adding the ship in the mix of things, this shoud be close 2,000 spending money.

Then go for it! I haven't been yet, but we're doing the same. We've selected 2 excursions for a total of ~$800, although I'm proabably going to switch one from a boat tour to a flight tour so more $$. The other 2 ports we'll do on our own, but only because what we are interested in we can do for less on our own and actually have more time at the places of interest.

Our big splurge is our cabin. We booked a deluxe verandah suite on the back corner of the ship so have a huge balcony with views on both the back and side (perfect for Glacier Bay!) for the tune of ~$6000 for 2 people. This trip has been on my bucket list for a long time, the trip of a lifetime, and I can't wait! :)

There can be big savings on Alaska tours, with purchased coupon books and booking well in advance. I have been using them for many years, saving thousands of dollars.

My thoughts exactly. I would never pay $140 for the PWS tour in Whittier. I have also done Misty Fjords in Ketchikan for half price. Not sure if that is still available.

Harv & Marvs is great in Juneau for whale watching, but for someone on a budget, consider a discount coupon (but beware of reports of a particular vendor with consistently bad post-trip reports!). And $35 for city bus in Juneau? Your budget for that is WAY off.

Not sure how many are traveling, but if you are paying $75/person for the train transfer I know you can get that at a lower cost. I did a bus/shuttle transfer for $40 last month. With several passengers, a car rental might be better yet.

Your friend is right. Just back and spent tons of money and can't wait to do it again some day. It is worth every cent and then some. This is not the time to skimp, do what you want. We did save money with Toursaver books both in Seattle and Alaska though would still do the same excursions without the BOGO savings. Enjoy, it's unbelievable!

Look at the Alaska Toursaver and Northern Lights coupon books. Both have web sites which display the various discounts or 2 for 1 offers.

BTW, if you're thinking of the city bus to get to Mendenhall, it drops you off a MILE away from it. You need a shuttle MGT Tours or perhaps some other. If there are a few of you, if might be cheaper to rent a car; drive to the coast and explore. Another increase to your budget.

I've seen and heard of people spending much more money on a lot stranger things in life.

Some people pay for the suite and some stay in an inside cabin. I enjoy a balcony but can't justify the price for a suite, but that is based on my financial situation (able to afford a balcony) but only paying for what I want and not any more (don't see any reason for a suite). The balcony is where my "wants" and my "wallet" cross on the graph.

IMO; spending any amount of money on anything that makes you happy is perfectly acceptable as long as you can afford it comfortably. Spending money on something only becomes "nuts" if your financial situation does not support your decissions. If you can afford it then I say there is nothing at all wrong with it.

As some have said, there maybe ways to trim back a little financially and still pretty much see the same things but convinience does have it's price and that price is different for everyone. We all pay a certain price for conviniences in life, so again, I say if you can afford it then there is nothing wrong with it.

My thoughts exactly. I would never pay $140 for the PWS tour in Whittier. I have also done Misty Fjords in Ketchikan for half price. Not sure if that is still available.

Harv & Marvs is great in Juneau for whale watching, but for someone on a budget, consider a discount coupon (but beware of reports of a particular vendor with consistently bad post-trip reports!). And $35 for city bus in Juneau? Your budget for that is WAY off.

Not sure how many are traveling, but if you are paying $75/person for the train transfer I know you can get that at a lower cost. I did a bus/shuttle transfer for $40 last month. With several passengers, a car rental might be better yet.

Car is 235 for 1 day out of downtown anchorage dropping off in whittier.. and 261 from the airport for 1 day dropping off in whittier. The one way fee adds up, so the train is still cheaper for 2. The bus is cheaper obviously. But many in these forums say the train is the better way to go in terms of a scenic look on the way to whittier.

Look at the Alaska Toursaver and Northern Lights coupon books. Both have web sites which display the various discounts or 2 for 1 offers.

BTW, if you're thinking of the city bus to get to Mendenhall, it drops you off a MILE away from it. You need a shuttle MGT Tours or perhaps some other. If there are a few of you, if might be cheaper to rent a car; drive to the coast and explore. Another increase to your budget.

Are those tour saver things actually legit?

$35 with the ship excursion, or 39. Something like that. Can do on my own with the city bus for 8.00 each back from there if harv and marv drops me off

Both the Tour Saver and Northern Lights coupon books are legit. We’re using the 2 for 1 coupon in the Northern Lights book for the Blackstone Glacier tour out of Whittier on Friday with Major Marine. You need to make sure they have space remaining for the offer though. Some vendors have a limited number of seats available for coupon use so booking as early as you can and mentioning the coupon is necessary. We purchase the coupon book every year.

As mentioned Harv and Marv’s drops at Mendenhall Glacier and waits there for 15 minutes. If you want to stay longer you can take the shuttle bus back to town for 8 bucks. This isn’t the city bus.

The 4.25 hour excursion to the Yukon for $99….if this is for your group that’s a good rate. If not, a car rental can be had for the same price for everyone to get to the same location and have much more flexibility along the way to stop when you want.

I know next time we will be spening alot on tours but the only costs we had besides food,car rental/gas and shopping was $20 pp for Mendall bus and Visitor center and the bus/wildlife tour Seward to ANC for $55pp.

So it is all about choices, we had a great time, but we also know we will be going back a couple times more. We are able to break up our cost for excursions over a few cruises.

I am with BQ that you only get half a trip if you don't take excursions. Getting out on boats and up in the air does enhance the Alaskan experience, if you are after taking in as much of the scenery as possible. Last year, on the 14 day HAL Alaska cruise, we took many excursions, most quite costly. However, I figured we still spent less than some were spending just on their pricey staterooms. We booked an inside cabin and then upgraded to an obstructed ocean view for less when the prices dropped. I know others feel differently, but I would much rather spend the money on seeing the wilderness of Alaska than having an expensive cabin. It boils down to what you want to see and what you can afford. If a veranda cabin and costly excursions were in the budget, I would do both. However, since I can only choose one or the other, it is excursions all the way!!! The memories of the excursions are priceless.

We are not big spenders on the ship, so we save there too. Other than the service charge (tips), additional tips we choose to offer, a few drinks and a few postcards, that is all we spend on the ship. There must have been too many like us on the 14 day itinerary, because it is being cancelled. :( It has been reported that it did not make enough money.

As already mentioned, have Harv and Marv drop you off at Mendenhall, but take the shuttle back, not the city bus. To get to the city bus you have about a mile walk. The shuttle can be picked up at Mendenhall.

26 Glaciers operates a combo bus and boat tour from Anchorage to Whittier for $189. That is a little less than the $215 you have listed. As mentioned, you could look into a one day one-way car rental from Anchorage to Whittier and depending how many people you are traveling with, you might be able to save some money there.

Enjoy your cruise and your excursions!!! I don't think you will be disappointed. Do have a back-up plan for Ketchikan in case your Misty Fjords tour gets cancelled due to bad weather. There are plenty of other options in Ketchikan. Just make sure you are well aware of your plan B, so you do not waste time trying to decide what to do next. I did read of someone whose tour with Island Wings was cancelled for the morning. The weather improved but Island Wings was booked for the rest of the day. This person was able to find another vendor who was able to take them out later. There are other options too, so be aware. Allen Marine has a boat tour of Misty Fjords. Typically it is only a cruiseline booked option. However, I did read of someone who said they just went to their office and were able to get a spot on the tour. Just know what else you might like to do if you need a plan B.

Do have a back-up plan for Ketchikan in case your Misty Fjords tour gets cancelled due to bad weather. There are plenty of other options in Ketchikan. Just make sure you are well aware of your plan B, so you do not waste time trying to decide what to do next.

I think that's a good suggestion. I have back-up plans for every port regardless of what tours we have booked. Cuz you never know what might happen. I've also got walking maps printed out of each town so we can easily find out way around.

I estimate around 1400.00 in excursions per person

Whittier - Glacier cruise plus train transfer from anchorage. 75 for train and 140 for the cruise

There is usually a 2fer in the coupon books for the cruise

Skagway - Ferry to Haines for nature sightseeing and 50 minute flightseeing, 6 hour tour package. 390.00 per person including transportation (not a ship excursion). Return to ship for 4.25 hour excursion to Yukon and suspension bridge for 99.00

I might drop the Yukon excursion- you will have seen a lot and enough might be enough there Rent a car and drive some or just collapse- 10 hours is too much touring I think

Juneau - Harv and Marv and Mendenhall on our own. 160 for h&m, 35 for city bus round trip

H&M will usually do a stop at Mendenhall on the way back from their tour- if you want to spend more time there take the shuttle back

Ketchikan - Island Wings Misty Fjord - 239 per person

Great trip- but another really good one is the Bering Sea trip- I was surprised at how interesting it was- but Islands Wings was wonderful as long as the weather if decent. There is usually a 2fer flight in the coupon books but you need to get in early to get a set of seats. And in Ketchikan there are also the totem poles- a wonderful experience

1138.00 for all of that. Add in Food for all of that, I'd say 1300.00 for all of those ports. Then add in any shopping, so say 1400.00 maybe 1500.00 in all

Is that toooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo expensive? or a typical budget if there is such a thing

Alaska can be terrifically expensive for sure. Cut where you can.

Archived