Ephesus rug factory stop on tour

It is really interesting that travelers will often throw common sense and caution to the winds when they shop overseas. Forty-five years of international travel has taught us not only to be cautions, but to actually be more cautious then when at home. When you buy something in a place like Turkey you have no recourse if things turn out to not be what they seem. Yes, you can buy terrific carpets in Turkey but most of the stuff you see in these so-called "factories" is anything but high quality. Also remember that any merchant you visit while on a tour is giving a kick-back to the tour operator or even worse, is owned by the tour operator. Here is a link to an interesting story about Turkish carpets:

http://www.internetrugs.com/blog/turkish-rugs-buying-rugs-in-turkey/

In other words, have fun but don't let down your guard.

Hank

Some very good points in the article that Hank mentions. It is always good to be skeptical. On a short 3-day tour to Cappadokia, a woman who was with my small group went off on her own and bought a rug that was sold to her as "one of a kind" tribal art. She paid a lot for this unique piece......only to then see virtually the same rug in nearly every carpet shop we passed for the rest of the tour. She was not a happy camper.

I have long had suspicions that several of the tour agencies in Kusadasi are operated as a side business by various businesses, including the rug dealers, leather dealers, etc....but not easily proved.

In researching agencies for several different visits to Kusadasi, I have also noticed that several of the prominent agencies (along with some I've not heard of) have EXACTLY the same license number from TURSAB (the Turkish authority that licenses agencies).

For example the TURSAB license number for Ephesus Deluxe is A3028. If you Google "TURSAB A3028" you might be surprised how many other entries pop up......

Caveat emptor is the word of the day in Turkey. :cool:

Cruisemom, The issue regarding Ephesus Deluxe's license is one reason why we have only given our own personal recommendation for one of their competitors (Ekol). That being said, we both know the Turks are amazing entreprenaurs and it would not be unusual for one company to offer services under many names. Having seen many positive reviews by CC members for Ephesus Deluxe our personal vote is still under review :)

Hank

We did a private tour for just the two of us in Ephesus last September. We wanted to take it slow and easy through the ruins because I was just a month away from my first knee replacement. Our tour company was very good.

We decided to relax and not protest when our tour guide and driver stopped at a rug facility in the countryside near Selcuk not far from Ephesus. We had a pleasant lunch, then agreed to take the tour. We enjoyed the demonstrations (I didn't "study" them like some on this thread when I was growing up, so we found them fascinating). Then they brought us into the sales room. We were completely indifferent to their sales pitch as they brought out several rugs, with the intent of not buying anything.

Suddenly, an area rug appeared, of the perfect size, with exquisite colors and patterns. We studied it a little bit, which, of course, got them excited. The more we looked at the intricate pattern and colors of this rug, the more we liked it. We bargained down quite a bit from the initial price (I'm sure we could have gone more), but we ending up purchasing the rug. On the way out, we went past a bin of gorgeous silk pillow cases and we bought one of those, too.

The rug is in a place of honor at the foot of our staircase. I gaze at it every morning, admiring the gorgeous colors, glad I can step on a rug at the bottom of the stairs again after having BOTH knees replaced this last winter. The pillowcase is on our bed. We look at them every day and remember our hot, exhausting and fantastic day in Kusadasi and Ephesus.

Next time, we'll skip the rug demo, but we have no complaints.

We did a private tour for just the two of us in Ephesus last September. We wanted to take it slow and easy through the ruins because I was just a month away from my first knee replacement. Our tour company was very good.

We decided to relax and not protest when our tour guide and driver stopped at a rug facility in the countryside near Selcuk not far from Ephesus. We had a pleasant lunch, then agreed to take the tour. We enjoyed the demonstrations (I didn't "study" them like some on this thread when I was growing up, so we found them fascinating). Then they brought us into the sales room. We were completely indifferent to their sales pitch as they brought out several rugs, with the intent of not buying anything.

Suddenly, an area rug appeared, of the perfect size, with exquisite colors and patterns. We studied it a little bit, which, of course, got them excited. The more we looked at the intricate pattern and colors of this rug, the more we liked it. We bargained down quite a bit from the initial price (I'm sure we could have gone more), but we ending up purchasing the rug. On the way out, we went past a bin of gorgeous silk pillow cases and we bought one of those, too.

The rug is in a place of honor at the foot of our staircase. I gaze at it every morning, admiring the gorgeous colors, glad I can step on a rug at the bottom of the stairs again after having BOTH knees replaced this last winter. The pillowcase is on our bed. We look at them every day and remember our hot, exhausting and fantastic day in Kusadasi and Ephesus.

Next time, we'll skip the rug demo, but we have no complaints.

You are like me in that I enjoy things I buy on vacation not just for the object - but to remember my travels. The sights, the smells, the tastes; well you get the idea. Enjoy your rug and to everyone else.....remember - you only go around once :D

Here is our experience last September: We took a taxi from Kusadasi, just one we found outside the shops near the ship. Our driver spoke fairly good English. We requested he take us to the House of the Virgin Mary first, then shopping. The shrine visit was fascinating and we were impressed by the reverence of the hundreds of tourists there, so quiet and respectful.

After some more driving around, we arrived at what our driver considered "shopping," which was at a rug establishment. Out front was a donkey and demonstration of the process from start to finish. Inside, we were seated in a showroom where numerous carpets, large and small, were unfurled, even a "flying carpet" demo. While this was going on, we were served a light snack with wine.

My DS and her husband actually bought two large carpets, their daughter a smaller one. We did not feel there was a "hard' sell but the salesman was very good, obviously. Personable and had been to our part of the US a couple of times. (The beautiful rugs did arrive at their home as promised and are lovely.)

After the purchase, we were seated in the courtyard and served a fine meal, with wine. Quite pleasant.

Next, our driver took us for more shopping, but this time to a leather store, but we were tired and ready to return to ship by then. He was very accommodating, of course, and probably well fed.

Just goes to show, some independent tours can be pleasant and memorable! :)

• 2 years later...

Just returned from Turkey in August 2014. Our extended family group of 15 took a full day tour with Ephesus Deluxe to see Miletus, Didyma, The Ancient City of Ephesus & The Terrace Houses plus the Temple of Artemis. Had no idea there was a "government run" carpet factory scheduled too. We had a lovely time- until the carpet factory. Lunch was delicious but we were Pounced on when we entered the walls of the carpet factory. We were segregated from each other as couples and assured that we had time, although we did NOT. We missed much of Ephesus- the Basilica of St John, the large theater, the Stadium and didn't have time to enter the Celsius Library Because we were being strong armed into buying carpets at $1000 each. We had no idea and NEVER Intended on buying a carpet that day, let alone such an expensive carpet. The Carpet Salesmen were running after us as we approached the van we came in- as we tried to leave. I just kept saying- "We Don't have TIME for this." And We Didn't have time. So sad we missed part of Ephesus and had to spend valuable time fighting off the carpet salemen. The Carpet Salemen were worse than used car salesmen. So BE WARE!!!

Private tours often include rug demonstrations too unless you clearly specify you don't want this.

I knew our tour would have lunch at the rug hooking school. The outdoor lunch was good; seeing how the silk is spun and the rugs are made is very interesting. We got to sit in the display room as they showed us the various types of rugs. None of us was bought one and there was absolutely no hard sell.

we have a tour with ephesus deluxe set up and made it very clear there is to be no stop at any carpet factories or outlets

I just posted on another thread in response to the same warning. I strongly urge anyone considering buying a rug (other than something very small and inexpensive) to get a good understanding of the situation: both an understanding of the rugs (and the all-too-likely fakes you'll be offered) and an understanding of cultural differences in Turkey regarding sales practices.

Read the full info, with some good exemplars, here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=44193016&postcount=34

We hired a random cab to take the 5 of us to Ephesus. We did have an optional short stop at a carpet factory on the way back. We told them upfront we wouldn't be buying anything and they graciously let us take photos of the place and even encouraged our grandkids to sit at a loom for photos. Since we didn't buy anything we left a nice tip for their graciousness - so different from the stories you usually hear.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would also remind the guide of this at the beginning of your tour. This is what we did and it worked out well!

I have found that reviewing your tour schedule/itinerary for the day at the beginning is the best way to avoid misunderstandings going forward. Often there can be a disconnect between the people at the tour company with whom you communicated and the actual tour guide giving your tour.

I always bring my email specifying the itinerary desired and go over it in detail with the guide as soon as we meet him/her.