First timers-Itinerary check

harry0

We are 2 couples from NJ in our 50s and very active. We enjoy hiking-fishing, etc. We will be in Alaska(flying into Anc) for 4 days before we sail on the Celebrity Millennium on the 31st of August.

We enjoy staying in places that are affordable and off the beaten path.

We originally wanted to go to Denali for 2 days, Talkeetna 1 day, and Seward 1 day but since changed our minds thinking it would be too rushed.

Now we are leaning toward the following:

Day 1- Our flight arrives at 1:15 am so we would like to get a hotel and rest up-any suggestions?-Then rent a car and explore Anchorage area possibly drive to Talkeetna and stay over night at Roadside Inn.

Day 2 Stay in Anchorage area, explore. Need to find hotel

Day 3 Drop car off and catch 9am bus to Seward-I guess we will have to cab it from ANC to bus depot?-Pick-up rental car in Seward. Stay at Creekside Cabins.

Day 4 Explore Seward-go Halibut fishing-Stay at Creekside Cabins

Day 5 Explore Seward some more-Drop off car- board ship

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Harry

You don't need a car in Seward. Depending where you are staying, many times you can walk. Otherwise, shuttles and cabs are available.

What are you going to do in Anchorage and Talkeetna? Plenty in Mat Su area.

Why not take the train Anchorage/Seward? Far superior scenery.

I suggest you look at a purchased coupon book, could have discounts on tours, flights, transportation possible.

Thanks for response-Budget Queen-exactly what I was looking for-back to the planning board.

In Seward the place we are staying is a few miles from town-but cabbing could be a possibility.

Mat Su sounds awesome too

Do you know if there is any coupons in the books for the train?

Thanks for response-Budget Queen-exactly what I was looking for-back to the planning board.

In Seward the place we are staying is a few miles from town-but cabbing could be a possibility.

Mat Su sounds awesome too

Do you know if there is any coupons in the books for the train?

The Alaska Toursaver book has several train coupons.

Is the scenery on the train (from Anc to Seward)that much better than bus? . . .

Harry

The person stuck with driving would probably think so. Seriously, the train is wonderful. You have comfy seating, fabulous views out the windows and from the outside viewing platforms, delicious food. There are a few places where the highway and the tracks are close, but there are lots of places where the train travels through pristine scenery--not a car or person can be seen. While wandering up and down the aisle and taking photos from the viewing platform, I talked to a couple of people who had driven the Anchorage-Seward Highway before taking the train. They said the view from the train was FAR superior.

Plus, you won't need a car in Seward, so why bother with renting it for the drive down?

2041215420057127324S500x500Q85.jpg

Is the scenery on the train (from Anc to Seward)that much better than bus?

In Seward-Anyone ever stay at Creekside Cabins-or Millers Landing?

Thanks

In advance

Harry

On this run of the Alaska RR, Anchorage/Seward- the scenery from the train, is significantly superior. There are no glacier views from the Seward Highway. By road, you do have the advantage of stops, so, it needs to be decided, what will work best for you??

Certainly BOTH are great choices.

What happened to Denali? Since you are doing a land-tour on your own & have a few days, please don't miss it. Go to nps.gov to find out more. And check out explore.org to see bears feeding on salmon at Katmai NP. But apparently camping resos there are booked 2 years in advance.

And sorry, I just have to chuckle at your flight arrival time, because John & I fly from the East Coast too. We have no illusions that any of our flights will ever arrive on time & only hope that we make our connections. :)

If you are looking for more affordable Anchorage properties, that leaves out the Captain Cook, which an awful lot of folks seem to like. My suggestion is to visit TripAdvisor.com & type in Anchorage hotels. Do you belong to any hotel/motel member clubs?

Each place you think you will go to, just google the name + the word visit, & you should find a convention & visitor's bureau. Lots of places have their brochures on-line now. Don't know if there's enough time for them to send you everything (bulk mail is kinda slow-ish).

But have a fab time. Our next trip to the Great Land is will be a dry-run only. :) Well, our next, next trip. In Sept we're doing a 14-day cruise. ;)

Susan

We decided to not do Denali because we did not want to rush around trying to do everything and actually experiencing nothing. Our majority of time will be spent in Seward exploring the area.

I just booked a 2 bedroom suite(there will be 2 couples) at the Executive Suites near ANC. It gets fair reviews but will work for us. Cost $185 split 2 ways.

To all

My game plan was to rent a car in Seward because our Cabin is three miles from town-on Old Exit Glacier Road-we want to fish and hike. Do you think a car rental is needed?

Have a nice cruise-14 days will be awesome!

To all

My game plan was to rent a car in Seward because our Cabin is three miles from town-on Old Exit Glacier Road-we want to fish and hike. Do you think a car rental is needed?

Have a nice cruise-14 days will be awesome!

Yes, get the car.

Archived