Would You Like Adult Only Cruise With Royal Caribbean?

Would you like Royal Caribbean to provide adult only cruises  

423 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like Royal Caribbean to provide adult only cruises

• Yes
    • No
    • Other (explain in a post)

Almost all of the complaints I've seen about other cruisers have generally revolved around adults, so I don't necessarily think an adults-only cruise would be better. I've never had a problem with kids on ship. Yeah, they might hit all the floors on the elevators, but c'mon, THEY'RE KIDS ON VACATION. Don't sweat the small stuff.

As for the solarium and other 'adult' areas, I think the better solution would just be for Royal Caribbean to enforce the rules they already have in place.

Would an adaults only cruise be misinterpreted as something else, like a swingers cruise:eek:. But if done directly through RCI, there would be no confusion, compared to chartered by a company and then sold off.

Imagine your surprise when you enter the ship and people are lovingly sharing their time together:p. Kids on the ship might not be bad after all if you got this surprise, or maybe you might find a new type of lifestyle.:D

Would give you some interesting stories when you got home either way.

As far as I'm concerned it's not the kids being on the ships, it's the parents doing their job. This job started at birth with manners and ettiquete training. Our son was always welcomed in any situation and most adults enjoyed haivng him around. (He's now 25 and a great guy too.)

Kids will be kids but they have no excuse to be monsters. Parental supervision and trust is paramount.

Edited by MedicKen

I'm in agreement with you, but I've had plenty of parents tell me to mind my own business and I wasn't in charge. Heck even here on Cruise critic I posted a pic of an 8 year old alone in the cantilevered hot tub on Freedom and got chastised for it. My wife and I were enjoying a late night soak, as is our tradition, in the cantilevered tubs on Allure when a family of 6 joined us. Someone pointed out to them that the tub was adults only and they just argued that the tub isn't in the solarium. When the person pointed out the adults only sign in plain view, they were told, "They aren't bothering anyone".

Bill this is exactly the point. Sometimes, it's the parents or grand parents who bring the conflict.

Would an adaults only cruise be misinterpreted as something else, like a swingers cruise:eek:. But if done directly through RCI, there would be no confusion, compared to chartered by a company and then sold off.

Imagine your surprise when you enter the ship and people are lovingly sharing their time together:p. Kids on the ship might not be bad after all if you got this surprise, or maybe you might find a new type of lifestyle.:D

Would give you some interesting stories when you got home either way.

I understand what you mean. We in America look at adult only differently than others in the world, that is why I was specific as to what I meant.

"On P &O cruise line (UK), they feature adult only cruises (no one on the ship below the age of 18) and family friendly cruises."

As far as I'm concerned it's not the kids being on the ships, it's the parents doing their job. This job started at birth with manners and ettiquete training. Our son was always welcomed in any situation and most adults enjoyed haivng him around. (He's now 25 and a great guy too.)

Kids will be kids but they have no excuse to be monsters. Parental supervision and trust is paramount.

x2

Well said. Voted no.

If there were enough demand for it, I could see Royal giving an adults only cruise a try during the school year. But, it probably wouldn't be on the Oasis/Allure or a Freedom-class ship because of all the family entertainment and venues that have been built in to those ships. Maybe not even on the 3/4 day cruises that wrap around a weekend either, because those can be family heavy cruises too. (Though, I can see it the other way too as some of the 3-day cruises I have been on have a spring break atmosphere, with lots of 20-somethings, bachelor/bachelorette parties, etc.)

I wonder how much extra (if any) Royal would consider charging either to make up for potential lost revenue for all those cabins which have capacity for 3 to 4 persons and may only be filled with 2 people; or, simply because of supply/demand factors.

Yes that would be great -- and if you have children, you just select a different itinerary! Not saying it should be adults only on EVERY cruise (I have taken my now 18 yr son on 8 cruises to date) but for those of us who no longer cruise with young kids, it would be nice...but 1 or 2 a year would be nice!

Also just to clarify part of the issue IS the parents are NOT mining their children, its like they get on the ship, parents do whatever they want and so do their kids...

I'd give it a try just to see what it was like. There might be less chair hogs if there were less families needing to save seats. Maybe the entertainment would be geared more toward adults. Normally, I could care less if there were kids on a cruise but it my be worth a try if the experience was made different.

Unless I am mixing up cruiselines,I recall RCCL having adult only cruises once,maybe twice a year years ago.

I don't mind the kids and agree rules need to be enforced.

I also would not like to live in an all adult community.

I've been on an adults only cruise on RCL. It was a charter and it was alot of fun and definitely a different atmosphere. I think if you want this then you need to find a charter going to where you want and sign up with the charter. RCL is basically a family line, so I can't see them trying it.

As far as the comment about the Alaska cruise with the kids using the covered Solarium. Seriously? It's alot colder up there even in the middle of the summer so it makes perfect sense to me that they would open up the covered pool to the kids.

I am not at all opposed to having kids on the cruise. I do like having the adult only areas. Watching kids and families have fun warms my heart. I am probably one of the lucky ones that in my 10 or so cruises have very rarely encountered bad or unsupervised kids. Most of what I have seen they were being respectful.

I dont want it to become an all adult cruise line for sure! I often enjoy seeing the kids onboard, and frankly, the cruises are more active when they are geared toward families. A few of my cruises during times when school was in, repeat customers were richly rewarded with extra points to sail and there were few kids on board...were a little on the stodgy side. ( no one laughing at comedy, discos deadville after 11, only " watchers" at Quest, begging to get team captains) I may be old, but I'm not ready to act it yet;)

However, my DH and I do occasionally cruise alone together and having an adult only venue ocassinally would be great. A tour company we use has " adult only" departures during the times kids are generally unavailable anyway, and it's an appealing idea!

These sorts of questions pop up every summer. Here's an idea...if we don't like cruising with kids, don't cruise during their vacation breaks!:D

As far as the comment about the Alaska cruise with the kids using the covered Solarium. Seriously? It's alot colder up there even in the middle of the summer so it makes perfect sense to me that they would open up the covered pool to the kids.

The whole issue was they turned an "adult only" area into a free-for-all and only gave the adults a whopping 2 hr window to be "adult only". They should of reversed this and gave the kids that 2 hr window. I realize this is alaska, and so should parents traveling with young kids - its never "warm" in alaska - you are lucky to see 65-70 at best even in the heat of the summer up there! So you you already know this ahead of time!

Edited by Charmlady
end quotes

I vote YES but only because it would give those who gripe, whine and complain about children somewhere to go and not be bothered by happy families with happy children. :D

One of the previous posters stated some children behave better than some adults - Amen to that !!! ;)

The whole issue was they turned an "adult only" area into a free-for-all and only gave the adults a whopping 2 hr window to be "adult only". They should of reversed this and gave the kids that 2 hr window. I realize this is alaska, and so should parents traveling with young kids - its never "warm" in alaska - you are lucky to see 65-70 at best even in the heat of the summer up there! So you you already know this ahead of time!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=34668145#post34668145

Not only this, but all 22 ships have a curfew, the solarium is very quiet then. So, the adults have ALL night to use the pool and the hot tubs

Edited by setsail

As others have said, I tend to book during school times - both for cost savings and to reduce the chance of an abundance of kids on my cruise. I'm a parent and have taken my kids on cruises. However, my kids are now all young adults and even THEY prefer cruising with limited young ones aboard. (For exactly the reasons Bill Oh and others have mentioned.) While it might be the deciding factor when choosing between two dates (one adult only/one not), it would not otherwise dictate my cruise selection. And I wouldn't be willing to pay a premium for an adult-only cruise. My adult daughter and I had only about 10 kids under the age of 13 on our Serenade cruise out of San Juan in 2010. Choosing smaller ships (less kid-friendly WOW factors) sailing during non-school break dates, cruising for at least 7 days, from locations which are not typical family-friendly ports (I'm thinking about Florida, where families often combine a couple of days at a theme park with their cruise) pretty much insures a minimal number of children aboard.

Knowing the way these posts go it is only a matter of time before we want to ban children from smoking on deck and not conforming to the dress code:D:D

On a personal basis some ships seem to cope well with children (I used to go to school with some) and others let them run riot. With my lad being off my hands I would choose a non child ship if one were to be offered, but then P&O have them so there is a choice.:rolleyes:

We have two kids 14 and 11 and so all holidays are taken during school times in family friendly enviroments. However when we will eventually holiday alone I will chose adult only or out of school holiday times for less children. I like peace. Right now it's all about making sure the kids are happy and have activities and friends. When we no longer have them to consider our holidays will be very different. Each to their own.

There is a thread concerning kids being in the adult solarium on some cruises, primarily during in climate weather. Apparently Royal Caribbean permits children to use the adult area, which is covered on some ships, when the weather is cooler (Alaska) or rain in the warmer climates (I'm guessing on the latter).

On P &O cruise line (UK), they feature adult only cruises (no one on the ship below the age of 18) and family friendly cruises. This is only on some cruises, not designate any ship adult only.

Would you like to see Royal Caribbean provide some adult only cruises? Thanks for your input.

Yes. I love children, but do not like to be have them make noice when I am in the MDR.

It wouldn't bother me one bit if they had "adult only" cruises. However I wouldn't be booking one. For entertainment resorts geared up to family fun, that would certainly be a shot in the foot. I suppose it would give them an opportunity to dry clean all the "dreamworks character" costumes? They could also re-paint the kids clubs and refurbish all the other non-adult venues.

Given the relative ease of choosing times to cruise when there are likely to be less children on board than usual, I cannot see the real attraction of removing children. I suppose it gives the usual whiners and moaners one less demographic to blame their woes on.

I wonder if Disney have considered something similar?

While I am not fond of loud or rude children, I am equally not fond of loud or rude adults.

It is not the age of the pax, it is their behavior. I have encountered more issues with volume control issues and boorish behavior among adult pax than with kids on my sailings. In fact I've run into some truly intereseting younger people and have had some great experiences with kids on my cruises (I like the pirate parades, I like when the artists on the Solstice do the glass sculpture based upon a kid's design, and I like to entertain myself by making faces at babies/toddlers when I'm in long lines)

My family and I will continue to cruise slightly "off season" and choose ships and itineraries that do not seem to appeal so much to the habitually rude (of any age).

Welcome to Cruise Critic! It's too bad that you didn't find this site before your cruise because children in the Solarium has been discussed here for many years.

Furthermore, the pool I believe was open to kids 12-2 and 4-8, the rest of the time it was for adults (I could have been miss informed but that's the info I have). Also, this is quite standard on Alaska cruises and not because parents complained.

I'm sorry your cruise was not as pleasant as you were hoping.