Do we take a chance?

We have never cruised the Caribbean as we are not big beach lovers, however having considered the prices for next year in the Med, we've realised we could go on Allure or Oasis for the same price. We had considered a 12 night cruise on Celebrity Silhouette sailing their Adriatic itinerary. When we priced this against a 14 night holiday to Florida, there is little difference and this does include flights from the UK and 7 nights post cruise hotel (I realise the cost of food for the post stay would be extra). Unfortunately, due to school holidays, we have to travel in July or August. Should we take a chance and try one of the big ships; will it be all about beaches? Or even try Freedom on a Western or Eastern Caribbean route? I just feel that for the price of 12 nights in Europe, we could actually go much further and try a different experience (we have travelled quite extensively in Europe). I'm not sure which of the Caribbean itineraries would be the best for a first time visit and is it hurricane season? Please help :confused:

I live next to the beach and do not cruise just to go to another beach. There is so much to do on the islands. Since you haven't been before,take a tour of the various islands or just walk around the port area. There are forts to explore, scenery to take in. Talk to the locals a bit. Try to get the "flavor" of each island. If you do Oasis or Allure on their eastern routes you will get to see Nassau, St. Thomas and St. Maarten. If you do the western routes you will get Labadee (which is a private stop with not much more to do than beach it), Jamaica, and Cozumel. Personally, I think there are more non beach related activities to do on the eastern routes.

We never get tired of the Caribbean and we have never just gone to a beach on any island.

I live next to the beach and do not cruise just to go to another beach. There is so much to do on the islands. Since you haven't been before,take a tour of the various islands or just walk around the port area. There are forts to explore, scenery to take in. Talk to the locals a bit. Try to get the "flavor" of each island.

We never get tired of the Caribbean and we have never just gone to a beach on any island.

Thanks. We would do tours on each of the islands. Is there an itinerary you would recommend that offers more choice for island sights for a first time visitor?

Thanks. We would do tours on each of the islands. Is there an itinerary you would recommend that offers more choice for island sights for a first time visitor?

St. Thomas... when you get off of the ship there will be tons of open air taxis and vans lines up. Just tell the coordinator that you want one that is going to do a tour. You will get to see the major highlights making its way up to Mountain Top which overlooks Megan's Bay and out to the British Virgin Islands. It will last about three hours and then you can spend a bit of the afternoon walking around town and the port area. There are plenty of shops and an open air "flea market" that we think is fun to spend a bit of time at.

St. Maarten...... Again, you can hook up with a tour right at the end of the pier. They will take you over to Marigot which is the capitol of the French side of the island. We always like to spend some time at Maho Beach which is right at the end of Princess Juliana airport's runway. The planes land right over your head. You have to experience it to really appreciate it. :):) Down town Phillipsburg, the capitol of the dutch side and where the cruise ships dock, is fun to walk around and a good way to spend 2-3 hours in the afternoon before the ship pulls out.

Nassau.... This tends to be a shorter port stop than the other islands. We usually just walk around the port area. There are a couple of forts worth visiting as well as the water tower with its great views from the top. And there is a huge "flea market" in down town.

No need to really plan anything ahead of time for any of the islands. This is especially true for a first timer who wants to hit the highlights. Return visits could be different if there are very specific things that you want to do. It is easy to crab a general tour right off of the pier areas with plenty of operators trying to get your attention.

f you want a really port intensive cruise, look at the Southern Caribbean out of San Juan on Jewel of the Seas. You might even be able to do a B2B for less than the price of hotels + 1 week cruise. The ship alternates itineraries each week so you get like 9 or 10 different ports over 2 weeks.

If you enjoy the "large resort" experience along with some decent cruise ports then you would enjoy Allure or Oasis. You might want to consider a B2B there as well. A week in a hotel + meals might be not much less cost than a second week cruise.

f you want a really port intensive cruise, look at the Southern Caribbean out of San Juan on Jewel of the Seas. You might even be able to do a B2B for less than the price of hotels + 1 week cruise. The ship alternates itineraries each week so you get like 9 or 10 different ports over 2 weeks.

If you enjoy the "large resort" experience along with some decent cruise ports then you would enjoy Allure or Oasis. You might want to consider a B2B there as well. A week in a hotel + meals might be not much less cost than a second week cruise.

Thanks. I did notice the prices were much lower for Jewel, I presume it's because the flights are more costly? I'll have to check that out as an option and see which flying routes would be available.

I know our kids would like to experience Oasis or Allure so it may be possible to do a b2b with one of those, then perhaps Freedom for the second week to incorporate different ports. That way we would have totally different experiences.

Many thanks for all the replies, it's definitely given us more options to consider :).

Hi there,

Last year I wanted to visit family in Fort Lauderdale and decided to add a cruise to the trip. Navigator review in my sig. I had never desired to visit this neck of the woods and was smitten. So much so that I am going back later this year on Adventure out of San Juan on a B2B (different itineraries). Flying direct from Gatwick is doable date-wise though these flights aren't frequent. Fares being what they are I felt that I probably won't be able to afford to go back and my bucket list mentality means I should be visiting new places each trip!

I am NOT a beach person... I can visit and paddle.... BUT.... I enjoyed Labadee, Maho on St Maarten is a hoot; otherwise I have found plenty to do that doesn't involve sand and beach towels!

The southern itineraries are awesome. Those islands are just beautiful. We have sailed out of San Juan several times. Jewel is a beautiful ship. However, we tend to prefer ships of the Voyager, Freedom, and Oasis class. Jewel is a Radiance class ship. You may want to look at the differences in the classes of ships to see if it matters to you. Maybe it won't.

As for your comment about a B2B on Oasis or Allure and then a week on Freedom, just don't forget that there is a bit of traveling to get from Ft. Lauderdale and Port Everglades to Port Canaveral. If you do Allure and then Freedom you get off Allure early and start driving as both ships have Sunday turn around days. If you do Oasis and Freedom you will get off of Oasis on Saturday and board Freedom on Sunday.

Hi there,

Last year I wanted to visit family in Fort Lauderdale and decided to add a cruise to the trip. Navigator review in my sig. I had never desired to visit this neck of the woods and was smitten. So much so that I am going back later this year on Adventure out of San Juan on a B2B. Flying direct from Gatwick is doable date-wise though these flights aren't frequent. Fares being what they are I felt that I probably won't be able to afford to go back and my bucket list mentality means I should be visiting new places each trip!

I am NOT a beach person... I can visit and paddle.... BUT.... I enjoyed Labadee, Maho on St Maarten is a hoot; otherwise I have found plenty to do that doesn't involve sand and beach towels!

Awesome. I love sailing Adventure from San Juan. You are going to see some BEAUTIFUL islands during those two weeks.

Based on what you have said, I think an Oasis or Allure 7 day, with a B2B on a second Royal ship would be PERFECT! That would get my vote (and if I could ever find 2 weeks I could take off at the same time, I'd do it in a heartbeat!)

We are not beach people either. While we enjoy activities on the eastern, we prefer the western. Jamaica has Dunn's Falls, zip line and plantation tours, horseback riding and so much more. The ruins in Mexico are beautiful. And the next week could be at DisneyWorld. So much to see and do.

The southern itineraries are awesome. Those islands are just beautiful. We have sailed out of San Juan several times. Jewel is a beautiful ship. However, we tend to prefer ships of the Voyager, Freedom, and Oasis class. Jewel is a Radiance class ship. You may want to look at the differences in the classes of ships to see if it matters to you. Maybe it won't.

As for your comment about a B2B on Oasis or Allure and then a week on Freedom, just don't forget that there is a bit of traveling to get from Ft. Lauderdale and Port Everglades to Port Canaveral. If you do Allure and then Freedom you get off Allure early and start driving as both ships have Sunday turn around days. If you do Oasis and Freedom you will get off of Oasis on Saturday and board Freedom on Sunday.

We actually love Radiance class ships, but I think my DSs may want to experience one of the mega ships if we are travelling that far across the pond. I will have to cost it out to see which is more feasible.

It sounds better to have the day between cruises rather than rushing to get to the next cruise. How far in driving terms is it between Ft. Lauderdale and Port Canaveral? I would also have to check the itineraries as I wouldn't want to get off Oasis and then visit exactly the same ports the following week on a different ship. Need to get on the RCI website to check ;).

NorbetsNiece,

Good to know you enjoyed it so much that you're returning ;). We've never considered the Caribbean before, but having received some very positive comments on this thread, I think we may take the plunge :D

I'm sooo excited! As the different plans fall into place for each island this is becoming an amazing trip!

If I can help out at all with anything that you might want to know about the islands or San Juan just ask. I'll try to help.

I was thinking about going back to the southern Caribbean for our next cruise but I can't take the time to do a B2B so I decided on another 8 nighter. Even though it is the same itinerary that we did last year we will be back in Independence and I really like that ship.

If I can help out at all with anything that you might want to know about the islands or San Juan just ask. I'll try to help.

I was thinking about going back to the southern Caribbean for our next cruise but I can't take the time to do a B2B so I decided on another 8 nighter. Even though it is the same itinerary that we did last year we will be back in Independence and I really like that ship.

That's really nice of you. I appreciate that very much. I'm meeting up with a couple I met on CC last year for both legs so I'm not really 'solo', and another couple are joining the 2nd part of the B2B. I'm flying in 2 days before the cruise so will have some solo time in SJ. I loved what I saw last year.... just hope I get over the jetlag quickly!

That's really nice of you. I appreciate that very much. I'm meeting up with a couple I met on CC last year for both legs so I'm not really 'solo', and another couple are joining the 2nd part of the B2B. I'm flying in 2 days before the cruise so will have some solo time in SJ. I loved what I saw last year.... just hope I get over the jetlag quickly!

BTW, are things crazy in London right now?

Thanks. I did notice the prices were much lower for Jewel, I presume it's because the flights are more costly? I'll have to check that out as an option and see which flying routes would be available.

The price difference is due to the ship. Both Oasis and Allure are very expensive compared to the other ships. Of course, they were very expensive to build as well.

As far as itineraries, I have been on the Western on Carnival. I have to admit that I wasn't too sold on it beforehand but I found it to be a very fun trip. Roatan was absolutely beautiful. There is zip lines to do there. You can see ruins in Belize or do a cave tubing experience. There are ruins in Mexico as well.

BTW, are things crazy in London right now?

When are they not? Lol. But yes more than usually so. I work in the centre of town and commute in..... busy is an understatement..... we have bikes everywhere for hire and people are riding them on the pavements.... as soon as the sun came out the parks filled up.... you wouldn't think there was a recession on. The underground is packed both ends of my day and I frequently have to stand. :eek:

Ocean Boy,

Have looked at the dates etc. for next year, we are considering Oasis on 17/08 followed by Enchantment to the Bahamas. Realise we'll notice the difference in sizes....ha ha..but figure we'll be able to enjoy totally different experiences. If we flew to Orlando, hired a car, and then spent a few days in Disney before boarding, would you suggest the best idea would be to drive down to FL early on the morning of sailing and off hire the car for the week? Do you know if there are car hire facilities near the port? We'd need to hire again after the cruise to travel up to PC (I take it this is also 3.5hrs from FL?). Is it worth stopping along the way or just heading straight up to PC? Just trying to work through the logistics of sailing from different ports.

The itinerary is different for both ships and it would give us 2 days between sailings. I'm sure I read on another thread that RCI offer a free night in a hotel if doing B2Bs. Do you know if this is the case, or do they have to be sailing from the same port on the following day?

Finally, we can book 2 interconnecting central park balconies for virtually the same cost as one balcony cabin for the 4 of us. I don't mind being able to see other passengers across the way, but are there any other major disadvantages (except for the obvious one of not having a sea view :D)?

Thank you so much for your comments and sorry for all the questions :).

Ocean Boy,

Have looked at the dates etc. for next year, we are considering Oasis on 17/08 followed by Enchantment to the Bahamas. Realise we'll notice the difference in sizes....ha ha..but figure we'll be able to enjoy totally different experiences. If we flew to Orlando, hired a car, and then spent a few days in Disney before boarding, would you suggest the best idea would be to drive down to FL early on the morning of sailing and off hire the car for the week? Do you know if there are car hire facilities near the port? We'd need to hire again after the cruise to travel up to PC (I take it this is also 3.5hrs from FL?). Is it worth stopping along the way or just heading straight up to PC? Just trying to work through the logistics of sailing from different ports.

The itinerary is different for both ships and it would give us 2 days between sailings. I'm sure I read on another thread that RCI offer a free night in a hotel if doing B2Bs. Do you know if this is the case, or do they have to be sailing from the same port on the following day?

Finally, we can book 2 interconnecting central park balconies for virtually the same cost as one balcony cabin for the 4 of us. I don't mind being able to see other passengers across the way, but are there any other major disadvantages (except for the obvious one of not having a sea view :D)?

Thank you so much for your comments and sorry for all the questions :).

Ther are car rental companies near Port Everglades and it is my understanding that many of them offer shuttle transportation between their location and the port. IF you are going to go to Disney first then I would probably agree with driving down to FLL early on the morning of the cruise. That would save the hassel of packing up the day before the cruise, moving to another hotel for one night, and then moving out the next morning to go to the port.

I have heard about RCI covering hotel costs for B2B cruises but have no experience with it so I really can't answer.

As for your cabin question, I guess it depends on the ages of the people in the cabin and how much privacy each requires. I like views of the ocean. However, Central Park is absolutely beautiful and that is especially so at night when it is all lit up. I can tell you that the cabins on Oasis are smaller than what we have experienced on other RCI ships. So if 4 of you can manage together well for a week in a smaller space I think an ocean view is great. If you would all like a bit more room AND the convenience of having two bathrooms I think two Central Park cabins would be very nice.

If you go with Central Park you might want to not book the highest deck. I have read comments on these boards about people hearing noise from the pool deck up above. Central Park itself, however, is a very quiet and relaxing area. Don't have any expectations of being able to see the ocean from a CP cabin. It is not like Boardwalk where you can see the ocean off of the stern of the ship from many cabins.

One other comment. I hope you like Enchantment after sailing on Oasis. You are correct that it will be a very different experience. Hopefully, you will find it to be a good one.

We are not big beach people neither, so what we do in port is take tours and see the scenery and learn the history of the islands. After the tour we usually walk around the shopping areas to see if there is any good deals on things and pick up a soveneir or two. We did spend 2 hours time on Orient Beach in St. Maarten which we enjoyed as it was part of the tour we were on and I will usually do some jet skiing on at least one port stop. So if you like to get out and enjoy the scenery and history of the Islands and get some good photo ops, then you will enjoy the Caribbean!

I like to learn about the areas I'm visiting. I also live next to the beach and look for more than a beach vacation when I cruise.

Why not try researching a number of the Caribbean ports and then choose the cruise that will stop in the more interesting ports.

We have been to Nassau many times and there are many tours - either planned or individual walking tours that covers the history of the country. The forts, Queens Stair Case, the old Jail, Parliament, are just a few of the features many never experience as they purchase their all-inclusive day pass.

Cozumel also has a number of tours that will introduce you to the area and history.

So do some reasearch now to find the cruise that will be more than a beach break. Good luck and report back.

Archived