Internet in harbour -Mediterranean ports

dons_shopper

Hi! I have read so many bad storries about phone expenses-although they were switched off. But in every port I see people sitting in the harbour building being online with their laptops. Is it free there? Is it dangerous still being so close to the ship? I guess it is possible to see in which system you are there.

The question: If my son turns on his smartphone in the harbour going online - will that cost a fortune, just the "normal" fee out of Germany (where we come from and have a flat) or will it be totally free ( don't mean phone calls, asking about the INTERNET)?

The provider is not easy to contact, will try but hoping for help here!

Thank you for help!

The policy on most cruise lines is that the ship's cell tower/system shuts down when a land based signal is detected, and no later than docking. So if accessing the Internet via cell phone service, it would be OK after docking.

However, the on board wifi is usually on at all times. However, in my experience, the wifi signal is relatively weak outside of the ship, so if you were a 100 feet away, there is almost no possibility of hitting ship's wifi. So, if accessing the Internet via wifi, you must leave the ship to get any other signal.

Whether or not a port offers free, or for fee wifi, in the terminal area varies by port.

We used our smartphones every day while in port. We connected to the Internet through WiFi at a cafe. You just have to order a coffee or glass of wine and they'll provide their WiFi name and password. You can leave the phone on airplane mode and still connect to WiFi. I do it on cross country airplane rides through GoGo all the time. It has nothing at all to do with your (or the ships) cell service provider.

The policy on most cruise lines is that the ship's cell tower/system shuts down when a land based signal is detected, and no later than docking. So if accessing the Internet via cell phone service, it would be OK after docking.

However, the on board wifi is usually on at all times. However, in my experience, the wifi signal is relatively weak outside of the ship, so if you were a 100 feet away, there is almost no possibility of hitting ship's wifi. So, if accessing the Internet via wifi, you must leave the ship to get any other signal.

Whether or not a port offers free, or for fee wifi, in the terminal area varies by port.

Even if you picked up the ships WiFi, you can't log on to it without a password, which you won't get without an account. It's impossible to log onto WiFi (not to be confused by a mobile data plan) that has a cost associated with it without being well aware that you were doing so.

In the harbour building they are likely picking up free wi fi. Sometimes to get the wifi you have to buy a cup off coffee or something at a nearby cafe and then you can sit there or outside to get the wifi.

They are not using the ship.

Keith

I wonder if the mods would consider a sticky on net access? For instance, there are 2 Internet cafes in Cittivechia, one immediately to the right on the main road, and the other across the road and to the left. There is also a pleasant open air kiosk cafe on a park type island a couple of hundred metres from the port entrance and to the right that offers free wi fi. Piraeus cruise terminal also has free wifi. Barcelona Sants station McDonalds also has free wifi offered along with their disgusting burgers.

I wonder if the mods would consider a sticky on net access? For instance, there are 2 Internet cafes in Cittivechia, one immediately to the right on the main road, and the other across the road and to the left. There is also a pleasant open air kiosk cafe on a park type island a couple of hundred metres from the port entrance and to the right that offers free wi fi. Piraeus cruise terminal also has free wifi. Barcelona Sants station McDonalds also has free wifi offered along with their disgusting burgers.

If they did consider a sticky on this, I imagine the individual port boards would be the place for it...

Yes, a good idea. In fact there is a great deal of port information that might be useful as a sticky for the various ports, i.e. airport transit times, ship berthing information, rail options etc.

You don't need a special Internet cafe. In three weeks we found exactly one cafe/bar/pub/restaurant/coffee shop that didn't have WiFi. They're happy to give you the password. Half the time it's "password."

@ducklite:

I spent three weeks in Europe with a 20" roll aboard and a tote bag and never missed all the "stuff" I didn't bring. Traveling light is liberating!

I admire you!!!! I know -again- I packed too much stuff. Already took some stuff out, but still; I guess 1/3 I'll bring home without having needed /worn it.

Archived