John Frieda Hot Air Brush

magandab

I don't understand why people are using round hot air brushes and flat irons? Round brush is going to smooth but add body - and potentially curls. A flat iron basically does the opposite (at least with my hair, which is why I never use a flat iron).

What end result are you going for by using both appliances?

I don't understand why people are using round hot air brushes and flat irons? Round brush is going to smooth but add body - and potentially curls. A flat iron basically does the opposite (at least with my hair, which is why I never use a flat iron).

What end result are you going for by using both appliances?

I have to blow my hair out and then use a flat iron, anyway, so using the hot air brush makes the drying part easier. Drying it with a round brush (or the hot air brush) helps in the straightening process, as my hair is naturally very curly.

Received the JF hot air brush yesterday. I dried my hair with the blow dryer first about 80%, then used the hot air brush. It did dry my hair with less frizz but I couldn't get the body I wanted. I followed the directions.

I will try it again with some volumizing spray next time, which usually helps my straight hair which is thinning on the top. All in all, I like the large barrel and the bristle brush. It is easy to use.

I could see using this as a quick touch up, dampen the hair then use the brush to style.

Has anyone used it on really wet hair?

Drying it with a round brush (or the hot air brush) helps in the straightening process, as my hair is naturally very curly.

Ah, I understand. For flat (me) it adds curl. For curly (you) it helps straighten with less frizz.

Received the JF hot air brush yesterday. I dried my hair with the blow dryer first about 80%, then used the hot air brush. It did dry my hair with less frizz but I couldn't get the body I wanted. I followed the directions.

I will try it again with some volumizing spray next time, which usually helps my straight hair which is thinning on the top. All in all, I like the large barrel and the bristle brush. It is easy to use.

I could see using this as a quick touch up, dampen the hair then use the brush to style.

Has anyone used it on really wet hair?

I wash my hair and then put it up in a microfiber towel for 20-30 minutes (my hair falls just above my shoulders), which helps to absorb a lot of excess moisture. That really cuts back on the amount of time it takes to dry it with the hot air brush. I think, from soaking wet, it would take an eternity to completely dry!

Ah, I understand. For flat (me) it adds curl. For curly (you) it helps straighten with less frizz.

Exactly!

My Frieda airbrush arrived. I used it for the first time yesterday and love it. I dried my hair about half way with the regular dryer and used the hot air brush to style. I amazed at the how soft and shiny my hair was afterwards. I am going to use a root volumizer to achieve a little more lift on top.

Even with the hot air brush, that I've been using for years, I still have some hairs that stick out. All strands of hair do not grow at the same time so there will always be strands of varying lengths. Yes, flat irons do flatten hair, thus no volume but my hairdresser said to use the flat iron on JUST the top layer of hair...as little as possible.

While being on tons of medications for the last 16 months, at one point some of my hair was falling out.:( Now that it is growing back in, the hot air brush made the short hairs really stand up but the flat iron calms them down.:)

After reading all the posts, I ordered one from Amazon that arrived yesterday. I like it, not sure if I love it (I'm in the thick curly hair camp). There's no way it will dry my hair from towel-dried in under 20 minutes, and I don't spend that kind of time on it. So I blew it mostly dry, then put in some conditioner and used the hot brush to finish the job. It came out nicely, I thought.

I think that I will leave my hairdryer behind and use this along with the ship's hair dryer. The RCI dryers have enough power to get the job done. If I were sailing on Princess, I'd bring my own - those squarish things don't stand a chance against my hair!

After reading all the posts, I ordered one from Amazon that arrived yesterday. I like it, not sure if I love it (I'm in the thick curly hair camp). There's no way it will dry my hair from towel-dried in under 20 minutes, and I don't spend that kind of time on it. So I blew it mostly dry, then put in some conditioner and used the hot brush to finish the job. It came out nicely, I thought.

I think that I will leave my hairdryer behind and use this along with the ship's hair dryer. The RCI dryers have enough power to get the job done. If I were sailing on Princess, I'd bring my own - those squarish things don't stand a chance against my hair!

That's what I plan to do too, although my hair is neither thick or curly. I'll take a brush and comb and hot air brush and use the ships' dryer. Partially drying it and then using my hot air brush gives it the shape I want and makes it softer than just blow drying it.

• 3 weeks later...
Not unless you're also drying your hair at night. The hot air brush is designed to work on wet hair.

Interesting topic as I have owned one for over 10 years and can't live without my hot air brush and I always have a back up. I find it works best on damp not wet hair and I use it daily as a touch up to my dry hair. Use a traditional hair dryer to dry your hair and roots until damp and then start using the hotair brush. My hair is long thick and wavy and can get frizzy with humidity. The hot air brush smooths the frizzies away and I can give it a little or a whole lot of body. If I want super straight then I will flat iron after smoothing as it would take me forever to flat iron alone! I also find that if you use alot of product on your hair that it gets built up on the bristles and it needs a good soaking and scrub. Just be careful with long hair that a strand of hair doesn't get sucked up in the fan, as I've burned them out that way. :(

Hmm, I have always heard that using a hot drying brush on dry hair is quite bad for your hair. I've never done it (but never wanted to try it, either - I use it for body, not smoothing, so if I want a touchup on my dry hair, I'll use a curling iron or hot curlers, etc)

• 2 months later...

Archived