Kids Menu ?

Antnkel

Hi guys, I'm going on Indy in a couple of weeks and was wondering what sort of food my children can expect in the main dining room ?

Thanks.

Anthony.

Hi Anthony, there is a childrens menu I'm sure, but our grandchildren have always ordered off the main menu on both of their cruises.

We had a fab waiter (not on Indy) who told the children to order different things that perhaps they hadn't tried before, we the proviso that if they didn't like it he would bring them something else.

They tried frogs legs, loved them!!! not so keen on the smails though!!!

Why have chicken nuggets when you can have filet steak???

Would love to take our GC on Indy, but boy is it expensive during school holidays!!!

Hope you enjoy your cruise.

Jean

Our two youngest eat great it's just the two eldest they are very hard work when it comes to eating!

Thanks for your reply.

Anthony.

What do they like?

Finding something to eat on a cruise ship is the least of worries, as they have just about everything except McDonalds.:rolleyes:

pizza (cheese & pepperoni)

chicken nuggets

burgers

mac & cheese or spaghetti

I agree about them (& you) trying new foods. They can always order something "safe" off the kids' menu and then maybe try something else, even if it's off your plate. We had to order more crab legs when DS discovered he LOVED them (several years ago on Princess). I've discovered I love escargot, tartares, lamb chops, etc. RC has a great buffet area too.

This is almost a complete list of what they'll eat-

Chips

Chicken nuggets ( not all types )

Fish fingers

Broccoli, carrot and peas

Plain rice

Plain pasta

Beans on toast

Cheese spread sandwich

That's about it !

My youngest two will eat almost anything.

I think that means Independance of the Seas (Royal Caribbean).

:)

Thank you. I guess if this were posted on the Royal Caribbean boards, I might have figured that out, but here on the First Time Cruisers board, I don't expect all this code language and inside talk. I guess I'm old fashioned, but I still prefer plain English except where it's clear that others understand all the secret handshakes.

Jim

Thank you. I guess if this were posted on the Royal Caribbean boards, I might have figured that out, but here on the First Time Cruisers board, I don't expect all this code language and inside talk. I guess I'm old fashioned, but I still prefer plain English except where it's clear that others understand all the secret handshakes.

Jim

Hi, Jim- I was picked up for writing about Indy once, too....it's because she's been an all year fixture in the UK for some time now, and as this site says "Cruise Critic Co UK" on all our pages, and has a different home page to the one you see, new posters take it for granted that it's a UK site, so every cruiser in the UK will know about Indy! :D It's not to do with a secret code, just not realising that it's an international site. ;)

Jo.

pizza (cheese & pepperoni)

chicken nuggets

burgers

mac & cheese or spaghetti

I agree about them (& you) trying new foods. They can always order something "safe" off the kids' menu and then maybe try something else, even if it's off your plate. We had to order more crab legs when DS discovered he LOVED them (several years ago on Princess). I've discovered I love escargot, tartares, lamb chops, etc. RC has a great buffet area too.

My kid was about 7 or 8 years old.

Went on our first cruise. Yep, he was a chicken nugget, mac and cheese, etc. kid.

He found the MDR menu, and learned about good food.

Big mistake.

Got off the cruise, and since then, when we go out to dinner, he likes something like Caesar salad, shrimp le-jon, and for the main course, either prime rib, lobster tail, or filet.:rolleyes:

Give the kids the kids menu, let them eat cake.:rolleyes:

Hi, Jim- I was picked up for writing about Indy once, too....it's because she's been an all year fixture in the UK for some time now, and as this site says "Cruise Critic Co UK" on all our pages, and has a different home page to the one you see, new posters take it for granted that it's a UK site, so every cruiser in the UK will know about Indy! :D It's not to do with a secret code, just not realising that it's an international site. ;)

Jo.

Hi, Jo.

I truly appreciate the explanation. I can now see that what seemed totally illogical to me here in the U.S. is completely logical to you in the UK.

I wish you peace and love and happy cruising.

Jim

Hi, Jo.

I truly appreciate the explanation. I can now see that what seemed totally illogical to me here in the U.S. is completely logical to you in the UK.

I wish you peace and love and happy cruising.

Jim

Thanks, Jim- I feel the peace and love already....:)

This happens all the time- just today, someone from the UK has asked about "Majesty"- which again, means nothing in the US, but tells people like me that they're going on a Thomson cruise.....

I roam round the site, with others, trying to help such new comers.:D

Jo.

As others already noted, everything on the menu is available and if they don't like it, well beyond the waste no harm done. Gives you the chance to introduce them to snails, lobster, etc. etc.

They have the children staples of nuggest, burgers, fries on every cruise I can remember as well.

Hi guys, I'm going on Indy in a couple of weeks and was wondering what sort of food my children can expect in the main dining room ?

Thanks.

Anthony.

http://media.photobucket.com/image/%2522of%20the%20seas%2522%20%2522kids%20menu%2522/cruisinmama06/Royal%20Caribean%20AO%20Compass/KidsMenuGOS.jpg

Kids can mix and match any way they want from the kid's menu and adult menu. For that matter, adults can order anything from the kid's menu. My wife once got the chicken noodle soup.

The buffet might have more options for picky kids, but I think the MDR is more fun and relaxing. Can your kids sit for at least an hour for dinner? If not, one option is to take the kids to the buffet, then drop them off at the kids club (usually opens at night around 7pm) and you go to the MDR for a relaxing dinner. You would need my-time or late dining for this.

This site (not mine) has some great pictures of the RCI food items. It is a little old. For example, lamb is now only served one evening. But it will give you and the kids an idea of what is on the adult menu. Point to the word "food" at the top to see other days including MDR breakfast and lunch on day 2.

http://www.cruisegoers.com/mariner/food/menu-and-pictures-day-1/

I would also encourage you and your kids to try something new. If you or they don't like it, don't eat it and order something else. While I don't like to waste food, on the ship most of the unordered food will be mostly thrown away anyway. The ship is a great time to try new things. It is already paid for. Also, Cafe Promenade will have pre-made sandwiches and desserts, and you will also have Sorrentos for pizza -- both on deck 5 and no extra charge.

Archived