RCI come back.....at least for the summer!

The Mariner of the Seas was really cheap in 2009. I went solo on an inside cabin and it cost $500. I did that in September and December.

I went just to go to the beach so i didn't have to go on any excursions.

In Mazatlan i just took a $10 taxi ride to the beach.

In Cabo San Lucas i took a $10 water taxi to lovers beach.

In Puerto Vallarta the beach was right on the dock, conveniant

Going to those ports no excursions were required.

So it's all your fault...:p

So, Ocean Boy, SherriZ366, and all other nay-sayers, that’s it? RCI disembarked from the west coast and is never returning? Case closed? Let’s accept this no matter what?

Well, did those first Americans living in the 13 original colonies settle with being under British rule forever? Did they then remain east of the Appalachians because “manifest destiny” (that is, settling out west) was very dangerous or too costly? Most recently in 1985, did we Americans just shut up and accept New Coke in lieu of Coca-Cola Classic? Of course not!

It is our tradition, nay, it is our American heritage to not accept our lot in life when displeased. So, you nay-sayers, do not silence those of us living in the west. We must shout from the Pacific Northwest to the beautiful shores of So Cal and to the desert Southwest: “RCI, RCI, why have you forsaken us?”

We must be permitted to do this. To advocate otherwise would be, well…downright un-American! salute.gif

*The above paragraphs are read best when humming America The Beautiful*

So, Ocean Boy, SherriZ366, and all other nay-sayers, that’s it? RCI disembarked from the west coast and is never returning? Case closed? Let’s accept this no matter what?

Well, did those first Americans living in the 13 original colonies settle with being under British rule forever? Did they then remain east of the Appalachians because “manifest destiny” (that is, settling out west) was very dangerous or too costly? Most recently in 1985, did we Americans just shut up and accept New Coke in lieu of Coca-Cola Classic? Of course not!

It is our tradition, nay, it is our American heritage to not accept our lot in life when displeased. So, you nay-sayers, do not silence those of us living in the west. We must shout from the Pacific Northwest to the beautiful shores of So Cal and to the desert Southwest: “RCI, RCI, why have you forsaken us?”

We must be permitted to do this. To advocate otherwise would be, well…downright un-American! salute.gif

Because they were not making money.:( And that is what businesses are supposed to do. But.... yours was a very enjoyable post! :)

I never said that they weren't returning. I said that venting in this forum wasn't likely to change their minds. :D

Because they were not making money.:( And that is what businesses are supposed to do. But.... yours was a very enjoyable post! :)
And potential to make money determines ship placement. If RCI sees the potential to make money in So. Cal. in the areas of pricing and on onboard revenue, they will place a ship in that area. No one is shutting down your right to post, contact RCI etc. It's silly to say that we're doing that. But we can express our opinion and continue to vote with our feet and wallets in cruises departing from Florida etc.

The fleets are mobile and gives RCI the nimbleness and fleixibility to be change itineraries and departure ports.

Like!

Like it? No. I love it!

AWESOME!

So, hey...Florida has the Bahamas a short cruise away...to

satisfy the 'foreign country' requirement of the Jones Act.

Why not, in the spirit of your post, get the residents of

Catalina (or some close-by island) to declare themselves

a foreign country, then build a pier to Royals specs.

...they will come.

...reach out.

...going forward.

...just sayin'.

What else? Oh, have a nice day.

:cool:

AWESOME!

So, hey...Florida has the Bahamas a short cruise away...to

satisfy the 'foreign country' requirement of the Jones Act.

Why not, in the spirit of your post, get the residents of

Catalina (or some close-by island) to declare themselves

a foreign country, then build a pier to Royals specs.

...they will come.

...reach out.

...going forward.

...just sayin'.

What else? Oh, have a nice day.

The Jones Act, or more correctly the PVSA, doesn't come into play when you are talking about closed-loop cruises to the Bahamas, and the Bahamas would actually not satisfy the "distant foreign port" requirement on a cruise that began in one US port and ended in another US port. That would require a visit to Aruba, Cartagena or perhaps Curaçao/Bonaire. How your suggestion about Catalina declaring itself a foreign country has anything to do with anything being discussed here is a mystery to me.

Have an equally nice day.:)

The Jones Act, or more correctly the PVSA, doesn't come into play when you are talking about closed-loop cruises to the Bahamas, and the Bahamas would actually not satisfy the "distant foreign port" requirement on a cruise that began in one US port and ended in another US port. That would require a visit to Aruba, Cartagena or perhaps Curaçao/Bonaire. How your suggestion about Catalina declaring itself a foreign country has anything to do with anything being discussed here is a mystery to me.

Have an equally nice day.:)

Hi,

Living here and knowing, in fun, Key West has talked

about seceding...to gain foreign aid and other bennies...

thought it might provoke some laughter here.

Don't take it seriously....have a good one.

Hi,

Living here and knowing, in fun, Key West has talked

about seceding...to gain foreign aid and other bennies...

thought it might provoke some laughter here.

Don't take it seriously....have a good one.

No worries, maxxedout2. I'm sure most us got your tongue-in-cheek comment on wanting to "Free Catalina Now!" And, from what I've heard, Key West is a world unto its own anyway, so you may not be too far off!

I must say it is refreshing to see that a poster like you from the other coast didn't jump on the give-up-your-pipe-dream-west-coast-cuz-RCI-ain't-a-coming bandwagon. I was afraid this thread was turning into a east coast vs. west coast, Biggie vs. Tupac thing.

So, if (when) RCI returns to So Cal and I find you on the same cruise as I am on, your first day's bar tab is on me!

So, thanks for the chuckle and keep 'em laughing. smiley-laughing002.gif

• 3 weeks later...

The Mariner was fab, but it was a BIG ship. Harder to fill and more costly to operate.

How about sending a smaller ship back, like the Radiance??

Less fuel costs, no need to go around the Horn, could alternate itiniaries really easily with CA Coastals and HI, etc...

RCCL could do it, if they had any creativity left in them...

The Princess CA Coastal cruises and constantly sold out for months and months ahead of time with the Sapphire, which is a similarly sized ship as the Radiance.

Katherine

The Mariner was fab, but it was a BIG ship. Harder to fill and more costly to operate.

How about sending a smaller ship back, like the Radiance??

Less fuel costs, no need to go around the Horn, could alternate itiniaries really easily with CA Coastals and HI, etc...

RCCL could do it, if they had any creativity left in them...

The Princess CA Coastal cruises and constantly sold out for months and months ahead of time with the Sapphire, which is a similarly sized ship as the Radiance.

Katherine

Radiance out of California had bad $ earnings numbers too -- possibly the worst in the fleet. The Radiance class ships are at a premium and are so mobile that their deployments can change quickly. too bad RCCL did not have more built.

Radiance out of California had bad $ earnings numbers too -- possibly the worst in the fleet. The Radiance class ships are at a premium and are so mobile that their deployments can change quickly. too bad RCCL did not have more built.

As others have stated - the timing was just very bad for RCI to put two ships on the West Coast - with the flu scare and then the escalation of violence in Mexico dominating the news people were afraid to cruise the area. When they did the alternate Pacific Coastal cruises many people discovered they loved that itinerary. However, for the people who had booked Mexican Riviera and were then told of a completely different itinerary it was not as well received as RCI would have liked. It was a warm weather itinerary vs. cool weather itinerary thing.....I think they just pulled out too early. Combine that with the housing market & economy dump in CA at the same time......:(

Personally, I love the Radiance Class, had a chance to sail once on the Radiance in the short time it was here and would have cruised on her again on the Cabo itinerary given the chance. It would also be a great Pacific Coastal itinerary ship. I agree that it is a marvelous class of ship - my favorite so far.

Archived