Must have culinary purchases by port

Mel&Ken

Hello fellow cruisers....

I posted this on the Cruise Foodies board and while it seems to be a topic people are interested in...there are not a lot of responses so far.

We have just booked an Eastern Med cruise for Sept.2013 on the new Reflection. We'll be in Athens, Mykonos, Santorini, Istanbul, Ephesus and Naples.

In Europe last year I was excited to bring home items from each country that I could use for cooking - I loaded up with saffron and paprika in Spain, olive oil, meats, cheeses and chestnut honey in Italy, mustards and spices in France.

Thinking ahead to this trip I am wondering what local treasures I should be on the hunt for. Immediately I think of oregano and honey in Greece, pistashios and spices in Turkey...lemoncello and maybe preserved lemons in Naples.

What am I missing?

Thanks in advance....Melissa

Not sure about Canada, but there are some serious limits on what kind of food you can bring into the USA (like meats).

I don't think there is a problem bringing dry spices into the country as long as they are packaged properly. Meats, plants, fruits, vegetables are a totally different story.

I got turkish saffron from believe it or not, Turkey :D (Istanbul to be exact), honey, olive oils and balsamic vinegars from Naples, Italy. My favorite was a lemon olive oil. Sundrie tomatoes from Greece. Once I found a cute spice grinder/mill in southern France with a spice-mix that was great. I run out of the spices but I found a very close mix at the local Wholefoods store, so I keep refilling the grinder with that mix.

In Mykonos we bought the local liquor "ouzo" sold in every store, gift shop... Was a great hit with our adult kids, they've never tasted, never even heard of it!

Can you not buy it where you live??

We bought a liqueur made from fruit in Rhodes you cannot not buy it in Canada it was called Vicky

There was another one with sugar crystals in it but cannot recall the name

Most other things can be bought here so did not waste my luggage space ;)

I would check the Customs site on food items before you bring it home

I have seen the sniffer dogs in the customs lines just looking for that nice salami ;)

In Istanbul, try to get to the spice market where you will see a world of wonder in spices. Tell the vendor that you are taking your purchases back to the US and they will vacuum pack them for you. While you're there, also pick up some Turkish delight candy (skip the pre-packaged stuff available everywhere).

Not sure about Canada, but there are some serious limits on what kind of food you can bring into the USA (like meats).

When we brought meat and cheese back from Italy last year we understood that as long as it was vacuum packed we were ok. And living on the USA border we fly into the US, go through customs there and then drive across the river and clear our own CDN customs - no issues so far....:eek:

When we were on our Med cruise one of our guides in Italy told us that the best olive oil to be found was to purchased in...... Greece! Mmmmm , she was right.

The olive oil from Greece that I've been using for a few years is almost the best quality we've had, especially for the price. I'd buy a good Greek olive oil over many popular (and sometimes more expensive) oils from Italy.

beachchick

I bought a jar of anchovies packed in oil in Sicily, but I was disappointed to find that they tasted just like the canned anchovies I get in the grocery store at home. If you like candy, there's Turkish Delight in Turkey (known as Greek Delight in Greece).

While cruising we usually sample local wines along the way.

Long ago, I have found I can shop for good foreign products at home, so I don't need to carrying them all the way back home. I always shop for items before I go to give to folks after I return home. My little secret. Now days with luggage weight limits, this helps a lot.

Did buy some spices once, found the dogs sniffers at the airport - were very interested in my luggage as a result and we had to have luggage searched further.

Just be careful about the Turkish Delight that you find in the Spice Market. Turkish Delight is made from honey and the flies love it. The nice vendors in the Bazaar will vaccum pack it for you, but the flies have already done their thing. Your may come home to find more than Turkish Delight in your package. You may be better off to find a good store where the Turkish Delight has been pre-packed, not laying around all day.

In Istanbul, try to get to the spice market where you will see a world of wonder in spices. Tell the vendor that you are taking your purchases back to the US and they will vacuum pack them for you. While you're there, also pick up some Turkish delight candy (skip the pre-packaged stuff available everywhere).

Just be careful about the Turkish Delight that you find in the Spice Market. Turkish Delight is made from honey and the flies love it. The nice vendors in the Bazaar will vaccum pack it for you, but the flies have already done their thing. Your may come home to find more than Turkish Delight in your package. You may be better off to find a good store where the Turkish Delight has been pre-packed, not laying around all day.

Turkish Delight...... :)

I smiled this morning when I was in TJ MAXX and saw packages of Turkish Delight for sale at an area near their register. No need to lug it back from abroad. :)

we are cruising to Canada and New England on the Norwegian Dawn in October. Are there things we need to see and do...:D

If you like lobster, this is the itinerary to 'eat your fill'. The lobster in Halifax and Charlottetown, Bar Harbor....... wonderful!!!! Get it boiled/steamed and enjoy. :)

we are cruising to Canada and New England on the Norwegian Dawn in October. Are there things we need to see and do...:D

We ate at West Street Cafe in Bar Harbor, just a short walk up from the pier, away from Main Street. It is across the street from Lulu's Lobster Boat - the best tour we did on our cruise, but you need to make your reservation now as they book up. It is an independent cruise and absolutely the most informative time we spent anywhere.

Hello fellow cruisers....

I posted this on the Cruise Foodies board and while it seems to be a topic people are interested in...there are not a lot of responses so far.

We have just booked an Eastern Med cruise for Sept.2013 on the new Reflection. We'll be in Athens, Mykonos, Santorini, Istanbul, Ephesus and Naples.

In Europe last year I was excited to bring home items from each country that I could use for cooking - I loaded up with saffron and paprika in Spain, olive oil, meats, cheeses and chestnut honey in Italy, mustards and spices in France.

Thinking ahead to this trip I am wondering what local treasures I should be on the hunt for. Immediately I think of oregano and honey in Greece, pistashios and spices in Turkey...lemoncello and maybe preserved lemons in Naples.

What am I missing?

Thanks in advance....Melissa

In Olympia Greece we went to a family olive oil store just off the main street. That is the best oil I have ever ever tasted. Do ask how to open the tin container though. Somehow I ended up using a canopener and pick!!:o Dried apricots/cherries etc in the market in Istanbul also makes my mouth water. I bought a fancy package for a gift and it survived only 24 hours in my room before being "enjoyed":p as a gift to myself.

It's my understanding that vacuum-packed cheeses are fine, but I'm not so sure about meats.

In the spice market in Istanbul they sell caviar at a very good price; however, it has to be kept cold. You could purchase some (they will pack it in ice to last a day or so) for consumption on board ship....

I like to look for different types of honeys -- acacia honey from Italy is very dark and rich.

The Turkish Delight available in the US tastes nothing like the fresh stuff from Istanbul. I didn't think I liked Turkish Delight until I tried it there. (Same holds true for borscht in Russia; never liked it before visiting St. Petersburg and still don't like the US version.)

Other pastries in Turkey made with honey and pistachios are yummy; some are quite similar to baklava. In fact, Turkish and Greek cuisines have a lot of similarities, at least the cuisine on the western coast of Turkey.

Archived