Costa All Inclusive Drinks Package

stevieboy2k

Just returned from a week long cruise on Costa Victoria (which is a terrible ship. Review is pending with CC).

The all-inclusive package was the best thing about the entire experience and worth every cent.

We had pre-purchased it via my travel agent, but many people bought it on board. There are flyers everywhere, advertising it. I believe it was even possible to just swipe your cruise card and credit card at some self-service kiosks that were on the ship. No need to stand in line at the front desk.

Drinks service was swift, drinks decent, selection decent and pours were generous.

We had no trouble at all ordering several drinks at once or using one of our cards to get drinks for myself and my wife at the same time. So no need to show two cards to get drinks for two people.

The coffee that is included with the package seems to be Lavazza. I don't drink coffee, but people that did seemed quite pleased. Alcoholic coffees, such as Irish coffee were NOT included, but waiters brought the coffee drink and a shot (or 3) of spirits without any fuss.

The tea selection is quite random. Well known brands such as Lipton yellow label or sometimes Twinings teas were available "for free". The apparently "better" teas you have to pay for (included in the package) was some weird brand I had never heard of, and was mostly of the "flavoured tea" kind. If you are hooked on any particular brand, I suggest to b.y.o.

Excellent advice! Their tea bags were pretty dreadful.

I have e-mailed to costa who told me i can do this online!!! not if the website will not allow me to do it I can't. i have tried on a laptop, on an ipad and on three different browsers. they suggested that i get in touch with the agents i booked it through and they should be able to do it for me. its so much easier to do this kind of thing online and very annoying when the website is so poor that it is impossible no matter what you try to do. it does make you lose the will to live but it is such a good bargain i have to persist. if anyone has actually managed to do this online, perhaps they would like to make suggestions as to how they achieved it. it also doesn't work for buying shore trips either.

I have e-mailed to costa who told me i can do this online!!! not if the website will not allow me to do it I can't. i have tried on a laptop, on an ipad and on three different browsers. they suggested that i get in touch with the agents i booked it through and they should be able to do it for me. its so much easier to do this kind of thing online and very annoying when the website is so poor that it is impossible no matter what you try to do. it does make you lose the will to live but it is such a good bargain i have to persist. if anyone has actually managed to do this online, perhaps they would like to make suggestions as to how they achieved it. it also doesn't work for buying shore trips either.

Rather than lose your will to live I'd recommend waiting and doing it on the ship, this way you can make sure that the package has everything you want before buying it. There have been discrepancies on this thread about what is or is not included, and you might want a living, breathing human telling you what is covered before you shell out a couple hundred euros.

thats good advice, although the costa website does actually have a nice pdf file giving exactly what is included in this. we have some friends who did a costa cruise last year and their description of what you get fits exactly with what we want and we know we will benefit from buying it. as a further follow up, i have now had success with the website!!! it appears that if pop ups are blocked it will not work - presumably because the purchase pages are classed as pop ups. i did not think my pop up blocker was enabled as i get loads of them on other websites, but it turns out it was. all i needed to do what allow this website pop ups and off we go. i am not sure though, and it does not say, what the cruise line provides you with to allow you to get these drinks. this i am sure we will find out when we check in. i am going to make sure i have a printed copy of the pdf file to show, and all the printed evidence of my purchases (its not that i am not trusting ..... but i do like to have the proof in writing)

Sounds like a good plan… I have had that problem with popup blockers as well with certain websites. For some reason it is easier to turn them off in Firefox than Safari so I have some websites that I only access with Firefox.

i am not sure though, and it does not say, what the cruise line provides you with to allow you to get these drinks. this i am sure we will find out when we check in. i am going to make sure i have a printed copy of the pdf file to show, and all the printed evidence of my purchases (its not that i am not trusting ..... but i do like to have the proof in writing)

When you get to your stateroom, your cruise card(s) should be layed out on your bed (along with a bazillion 'spa offers'... etc.). The word 'EXTRA' should me printed on the back of your cards. If so, you're 'good to go'; if not, take your proof of purchase and visit the guest relations desk where they should issue you new, correct cards.

as a further follow up, i have now had success with the website!!! it appears that if pop ups are blocked it will not work - presumably because the purchase pages are classed as pop ups. i did not think my pop up blocker was enabled

Well, good thing you didn't kill yourself then.

i am going to make sure i have a printed copy of the pdf file to show, and all the printed evidence of my purchases

Ok. Good for you - if it makes you safe.

Philip

Does anyone know what the red wine is you get by the class with the AI package?

Thanks

On Serena in December, there were two. One was a Cabernet Sauvignon, and the other was a Chianti. Both were from Italian vineyards. I much preferred the Chianti, but both were acceptable.

On Serena in December, there were two. One was a Cabernet Sauvignon, and the other was a Chianti. Both were from Italian vineyards. I much preferred the Chianti, but both were acceptable.

Thanks. I like either and good to know there is a choice.

I agree that the drink package is a great deal if you generally indulge in several drinks every day, but that won't be the case for us. Hubby doesn't drink, and I drink just a few wines with dinner. Sometimes another one during the show. I would really have to make a point of drinking more than I usually do in order to take advantage of the package.

It's a shame that Costa, like so many others, doesn't allow you a bottle of wine for each passager. I'm going to try smuggling on a boxed wine. If I get caught, I might buy the package. If not, that will settle our decision.

Somewhere I read that once on board, they have unadvertised packages that might suit me better. Anyone know about that?

Just back before Christmas from Costa Fortuna, Savona to Dubai. Didn't notice any unadvertised packages as such, other than some, if you like, 'Special Purchase' wines which were much cheaper than the normal wine list. Also they have wines by the caraffe, which are better value than the bottles.

The problem with the Costa drinks package, is that if there are 2 people in the cabin, you have to buy 2 packages, which doesn't represent good value if like your husband, the second person doesn't drink.

Just back before Christmas from Costa Fortuna, Savona to Dubai. Didn't notice any unadvertised packages as such, other than some, if you like, 'Special Purchase' wines which were much cheaper than the normal wine list. Also they have wines by the caraffe, which are better value than the bottles.

The problem with the Costa drinks package, is that if there are 2 people in the cabin, you have to buy 2 packages, which doesn't represent good value if like your husband, the second person doesn't drink.

Hi, just wondered how your cruise was? Due to go next week and can find no reviews anywhere, just curious. We have booked the all inclusive package too. Hope you don't mind me asking you? :)

The cruise was great. Fortuna is just a nice size with lots going on. Food was not as good as we've experienced before on Costa, but I think they changed some of the wait staff prior to the cruise, which made things a little slow in the MDR, but it did improve as the cruise went on. Also, they had a new Head Chef for our cruise, so I guess the rest of the kitchen staff had to get used to his ways, but again by the end of the cruise everything was OK. Quality wise it was all good.

Don't know your itinerery, but our was a repositioning cruise so most of the ports of call will be different to yours. Muscat is great, Dubai & Abu Dhabi were OK for what they are. Hope you like the Italian experience, we do & have sailed with Costa many times.

Hope you enjoy.

The cruise was great. Fortuna is just a nice size with lots going on. Food was not as good as we've experienced before on Costa, but I think they changed some of the wait staff prior to the cruise, which made things a little slow in the MDR, but it did improve as the cruise went on. Also, they had a new Head Chef for our cruise, so I guess the rest of the kitchen staff had to get used to his ways, but again by the end of the cruise everything was OK. Quality wise it was all good.

Don't know your itinerery, but our was a repositioning cruise so most of the ports of call will be different to yours. Muscat is great, Dubai & Abu Dhabi were OK for what they are. Hope you like the Italian experience, we do & have sailed with Costa many times.

Hope you enjoy.

That is good to hear. We are doing the return route at the end of March. :D

Hope you enjoy.

Yes that's good to hear, thank you. Yes we have been on Costa before and do like the Italian style. Plus the all inclusive :)

Yes that's good to hear, thank you. Yes we have been on Costa before and do like the Italian style. Plus the all inclusive :)

We are sailing our first Costa cruise in September on the Classica.... we've sailed MSC before which is also Italian style. How would the two compare, if anyone has sailed both?

We are sailing our first Costa cruise in September on the Classica.... we've sailed MSC before which is also Italian style. How would the two compare, if anyone has sailed both?

Sorry I have not sailed on MCS only Costa. We have done several Caribbean, Med, and Greek Isles cruises on Costa. We have been more than pleased with them. The last one in July on the Costa Medditeranea, which was fabulous. Looking forward to Dubai now. I'm sure you will like them.

More similarities than differences I'd say. I personally prefer MDC as I like their entertainment better (particularly the operatic singers and classical trios) and I like the MDC ships layout and decor better, I think it's less closed in and more elegant and classy. Loved the Atlantica though. It's just some of the big new Costa ships with the Joe Farcus designs that just about give me a migraine looking at them.

Someone on either here or might have been the MSC board said the main difference was that Costa was American with an Italian theme whereas MSC was just Italian. It's not a bad distinction.

I think people who like one tend to like the other. Just have a look at MSC and Costa reviews. Folk who hate them tend to moan about the same things. You have the multiple languages on both, English speakers in the minority, similar all inclusive drinks deals, similar menus etc etc

Sorry I have not sailed on MCS only Costa. We have done several Caribbean, Med, and Greek Isles cruises on Costa. We have been more than pleased with them. The last one in July on the Costa Medditeranea, which was fabulous. Looking forward to Dubai now. I'm sure you will like them.

Have you been on the older, smaller ships? I tend to prefer them with most cruise lines.

More similarities than differences I'd say. I personally prefer MDC as I like their entertainment better (particularly the operatic singers and classical trios) and I like the MDC ships layout and decor better, I think it's less closed in and more elegant and classy. Loved the Atlantica though. It's just some of the big new Costa ships with the Joe Farcus designs that just about give me a migraine looking at them.

Someone on either here or might have been the MSC board said the main difference was that Costa was American with an Italian theme whereas MSC was just Italian. It's not a bad distinction.

I think people who like one tend to like the other. Just have a look at MSC and Costa reviews. Folk who hate them tend to moan about the same things. You have the multiple languages on both, English speakers in the minority, similar all inclusive drinks deals, similar menus etc etc

Thanks! Yes it is true there were a lot of moaners, but when we sailed MSC I knew what to expect. That was a Vista-style ship (Poesia) and this will be a smaller Costa ship so still a different experience but I am looking forward to it. This cruise goes to smaller Greek islands that aren't on most itineraries so it is worth trying something new :)