TA vs. Discount TA

rhsjr

Note: Some of the best Princess TAs do not have a huge online presence nor are they big agencies. I've found that the really big online TAs often get caught up in their own corporate policies. They also work 9-5. I used a huge discount agency a few years ago and got great pricing, but it was a bear to get hold of my TA (it would take days to get a phone or email response.) One time, (this was when docs were mailed), my TA had her mail department send me my docs overnight. I was doing a pre-cruise and the docs included my tour flights. They sent it snail mail over Christmas and I wound up not getting them until the day before I few out. It wasn't worth saving the money for that kind of aggravation.

So, if you talk to friends for TA, don't be put off if it's a small agency or perhaps one person working 24/7. They can be the ones with the best pricing and service (response) because they don't have the overhead or office politics.

I agree with others that if you shop around you can get the best of both worlds - a responsive helpful TA who offers good prices. Look for agents who are high volume sellers of the lines you want - this info is in their 'about us' section.

People on Trip Advisor cruise section can tell you the names of TA's.

I have checked a few of the bigger online agencies.

And only one seems to be offering any discount on the Princess cruise I am looking at, and just a $100.00 onboard credit. This is one of the bigger online Cruise and Travel Agency web-sites.

If there are any tips on how to do a little better than that, I would love to hear them.

They dont all give discounts a long way out from sailing. You get price drops closer to the final payment date or after that if you are prepared not to get the exact cabin you want and maybe miss out if the cruise gets booked out.

I started this thread and boy so much information. I called 6 online "discount" companies this morning and only 1 offered a discount on a specific cruise I was asking about (About $400), the rest named the Princess price. Yes as time gets closer, prices may drop, but my local TA sees them and if possible I get that reduction. Unless I get a super duper discounter from a meet and greet, not sure I would switch.We normally only cruise once a year and may do resort travel once or twice, A $100 savings may not be worth the changing.

I started this thread and boy so much information. I called 6 online "discount" companies this morning and only 1 offered a discount on a specific cruise I was asking about (About $400), the rest named the Princess price. Yes as time gets closer, prices may drop, but my local TA sees them and if possible I get that reduction. Unless I get a super duper discounter from a meet and greet, not sure I would switch.We normally only cruise once a year and may do resort travel once or twice, A $100 savings may not be worth the changing.

Other differences are free onboard credit and reduced fully refundable deposits. Check a cruise that is about 4 months out to compare prices. You can't look at online prices - do a dummy booking all the way thru to get real prices on offer. E en the , if you call or email you can get a better price. Use high volume princess TA's they get bigger discounts. I found b&m TAs with Internet sites had better prices than the famous online discounters.

I called 6 online "discount" companies this morning and only 1 offered a discount on a specific cruise I was asking about (About $400), the rest named the Princess price... A $100 savings may not be worth the changing.

Not sure I am reading this correctly. A $400 discount is nothing to sneeze at. How much are you expecting to save? And how does a $400 discount calculate out to be a $100 savings??

Not sure I am reading this correctly. A $400 discount is nothing to sneeze at. How much are you expecting to save? And how does a $400 discount calculate out to be a $100 savings??

I'm with you. Just reread it for the third time and not comprehending why $400 isn't enough.

I'm with you. Just reread it for the third time and not comprehending why $400 isn't enough.

Pia, the way I read it, he's looking to book a $400 cruise, might explain the lack of discounting.

Pia, the way I read it, he's looking to book a $400 cruise, might explain the lack of discounting.

You are probably right. I just looked at his sig line and he's looking for a Sapphire coastal. Heck, $100 off something like that would be a lot!

Just like brick & mortor TAs, there are good discount TAs and bad discount TAs.

If you want a good one, you may need to do some searching. On your next cruise, as the people at the Meet and Greet and also others you meet who they use for a TA, are they happy, and why.

If you do switch TAs, be sure:

o Do not pick one that has their own cancellation fees on top of any Princess ones

o That they will be accessible if you have a problem while traveling

o That when the person you are dealing with is not in the office, someone else will be able to help you.

Great points.

I'm very happy with my TA. Not only did I get $900 off my next cruise from Princess pricing my TA has even answered emails from me while she was on vacation out of the country.

Just curious - have you looked at Princess Cruises travel agent locator? I looked up the state for my TA and found her high on the list - and noted as a level4_sm_h_pcl.gif Commodore Certified Travel Agent

While this may not guarantee a discount TA, it might be a good sanity check for individual TA experience with Princess.

From what you wrote earlier, I'm guessing that we are using the same TA. Fair pricing and she responds quickly to any requests for quotes or repricing, even on weekends. It is definitely worthwhile to shop around to find the right TA.

If you do not think that a 25% ($100) discount off a list price of a $400 cruise is not worth changing then you might want to stop looking because in my experience a 25% "discount" is really an excellent discount.

If we misunderstand your numbers and you want to consider a high volume low overhead TA then from my experience you need to find a TA that does a high volume of business with your required cruise line.

Good luck and have a great cruise.

Nope. You have to be wrong because the OP is booking a coastal.

Are coastals less expensive or are they shorter and therefore less expensive? I'm not familiar with all of Princess' cruises. I hope to be an expert though by next year ;)

Just went to Princess' website. The OP lists waiting Calif coastal 10/12. There are two 7 day cruises on the Sapphire this October. One is sold out. The other has several categories sold out but balconies are from $1339 and suites are from $2549. Looks like a nice cruise and a popular one too! Maybe one day I'll be on it!

However, looks like one has to book early!

I checked September and see what you mean Pia about very short cruises. The October ones though are 7 days.

Archived