Lost camera

gdpups

I lost my camera after my whale watching excursion in Icy Straits last week. I'm just sick as it had pictures of the first 5 days of my Alaska trip on it!

Just want to advise everyone to put an address label on your camera so you might have a chance to get it back. I knew this, but didn't do it and now I'm sick about it! Lesson learned!!

Another option is to take a photo and leave it on your memory card that has you as the owner and some form of communication for the person who finds it to contact you, like your email address. Of course you wouldn't want to put your physical address as they would know where you live as well as knowing you aren't at home.

• Administrators
I lost my camera after my whale watching excursion in Icy Straits last week. I'm just sick as it had pictures of the first 5 days of my Alaska trip on it!

Just want to advise everyone to put an address label on your camera so you might have a chance to get it back. I knew this, but didn't do it and now I'm sick about it! Lesson learned!!

I'm so sorry that happened to you. :( I'd add that whenever you put a memory card in your camera, it's a good idea to take a picture of an index card with your email, phone number, etc. Labels can fall off, but if your lost camera is found by a truly "good" Samaritan, the memory card will give them the info they need to return your pictures/camera.

PS You might want to find the roll call for your cruise and post about your lost camera -- folks might have general ship/scenery photos to share with you so you can recapture some of the memories.

PPS Great minds, Chilkoot!

http://www.ifoundyourcamera.net/

I am sorry you lost your camera, try this web site.

If there is someone out there who has any pull here on CC, is there a way to get the word out about this web site? Both for those of us that find cameras and those that lose cameras.

One other thing to help save photos, is to download them every night, if you can't do that, bring a few different memory cards and use a different one each day or every few days, leave the extras in the cabin. Chances are, some friends of your would have cards you could use, lots of cameras use the same ones.

HAL Amsterdam goes to Icy Strait every other Wed so someone will be there tomorrow and we will be there in two weeks. The departure dates are 27 Jul and 10 Aug. Any more info and if it is the same whale watch I can ask around. Point & shoot and details also.

Hope you find it. Lost photos would be the worst because you can always buy a new camera but that would hurt also. The 10 Aug roll call did have a person there tomorrow add a message yesterday or today.

Sightcrr.

Yes, I did contact the boat operator and they gave me the number to the visitor center at Icy Straits, who I also called. The boat operator, F.I.S.H.E.S has been wonderful and very helpful, but so far it hasn't turned up.

Thanks for all the excellent tips, I've ordered a replacement camera (although it can't replace the pictures lost) and will be much more careful in the future!

So sorry to hear about the camera and your pictures. But thanks for posting your problem, which encouraged other folks to lay out their ideas for backing up. This will probably save a few people in the future. I just added an 8 GB flash drive to my luggage for next week. Really, thanks again.

Pat

Sorry you lost your camera. Memory cards are relatively inexpensive. I bring multiple cards and swap them out every couple of days. That way if something happens to my camera, at least I don't lose all the pictures.

Another idea might be to keep a close watch for the cruise reviews and maybe someone will have photos they will share via email request of your same shore trip. They won't have you in them but they may have the same mountains and whales that you saw. Maybe the tour operator can send the email address or phone of others on same tour. Sorry again for your loss. I just added flash drive to our list of things to take also. Thanks for posting.

Just wanted to post to say I am sorry that you lost your camera.

I do bring my computer with me and each night I move the photos over to the computer.

Again, very sorry.

Keith

I do this too. I bring my netbook laptop and copy the photos over each night. I also bring an 8GB USB stick and copy them there too. It only takes a few minutes to do and then you have the photos stores in three places. I'm paranoid about losing my photos!

Archived