Do you make special requests in the MDR?

Yes we have and nine times out of ten they will meet your request. It's always good to let your servers know up ASAP that you would like XYZ every evening. Remember be realistic! They cannot serve you lobster every night!!

Earl & Kathy

Once on Adventure I mentioned to a friend traveling with me, how much I liked the fried plantains they used to serve in the WJ. On the first night of the cruise during dinner service a platter of plantains arrived with a platter of jerk chicken (enough for the whole table) and every night after that (accompanied with a different Caribbean dish). That just blew me out the water. Other than that I've never made any other special request (though I didn't make that one) That's kind of what sealed the deal with me on Royal....:)

We do MTD, so we don't always have the same staff (usually, though) and on our last Med cruise I mentioned the first night about how I really loved the cheese/fruit appetizer, our asst. waiter brought me one out automatically for the rest of the cruise.

He even did this on the couple of nights when we had someone else. He was only a few tables away and he brought it to our alternate asst. waiter and had them bring it to me. He waved and tipped his imaginary hat at me.

My wife doesn't care for sweets or dessert. On one of our cruises, the waiters were trying to convince her to eat one. They kept saying things like "But you are skinny! Just eat some dessert!" They finally got it out of her that she liked strawberries. They said they would bring her strawberry shortcake. She told them she didn't care for the strawberries in the glaze sauce or the cake or the whipped cream.

That night and every night after, they brought her out a large bowl of fresh strawberries for dessert without asking. She enjoyed it.

I keep reading where people ask for things in the MDR like shrimp cocktail or an extra XYA or other items not printed on that night's menu. Do you do this???

In one sense there are no "special requests" , just requests... On a cruise we are all special...

Me? I use the menu as a guide and do whatever the heck I want... very often I have trouble deciding on which appetizer, so.. I order them all... or maybe there are two entree's that I like so I ask for a side on an entree main item... and how can one decide upon only one dessert when presented with so many...

..the only time I would consider it "special" is if the kitchen didn't already have it in the pipeline.... Shrimp cocktail every night is in the pipeline.. I have read of people asking in advance for something knowing that with a day to prepare the kitchen can accommodate....

Several years ago when they first started having the chicken drummies I fell in luv with them. Our table kept telling the waiter that we wanted those for dinner one night before the end of the cruise.

The last night when we went into the dining room our waiter didn't show up. We all started laughing and said we bet we were getting our wings. Sure enough here he comes with a huge plate of the drummies. Needless to say all the tables around us wanted our dinner. We were very happy and the waiter was as well when we left. Even my son who was 10 at the time left him a tip.

One night hubby requested key-lime pie. They did not have any that night, but they did the next and it appeared every night after that. This time when we go we will have to let them know we can only eat small portions as we have both had lap-band surgery. They seem to keep bringing food if you do not eat much. I suffer from sea sickness and any time I did not eat they would make a plate of cut up apples and crackers for our cabin. They have always gone out of the way to please.

This is Mrs Col70 - signed in on hubby's account!

As someone who's going on their first cruise in 10 days time (Independence out of Southampton on Med Treasures) this thread amazes me.

I hope this level of service is still the case when it's in Europe (where customer service isn't as reliable as it is America).

It seems like there is a menu for the MDR, but on the other hand you can just order what takes your fancy - this will be great as my youngest (aged 13) has quite a limited diet (due to a medical condition) and he likes the things he likes, good to know that when they know what it is they'll serve it every night if he wants.

On the worrying side, I've lost nearly 5 stone over the last two years (only a stone away from goal weight) and I have a feeling I may be putting quite a bit of that weight back on again!

Which brings me to a question - portion sizes. Hubby and I went to New York in APril 2011 (loved it) but we got to the point where I used to have a starter (appetiser?) as my whole meal, or we'd share a main course (entree?) as the American portion sizes were HUGE compared to what we were used to eating. Do the Cruise liners serve big amercian sized portions too?

So what's everyone's favourite main course that you would recommend I "ask for as a special request"

This is Mrs Col70 - signed in on hubby's account!

As someone who's going on their first cruise in 10 days time (Independence out of Southampton on Med Treasures) this thread amazes me.

I hope this level of service is still the case when it's in Europe (where customer service isn't as reliable as it is America).

It seems like there is a menu for the MDR, but on the other hand you can just order what takes your fancy - this will be great as my youngest (aged 13) has quite a limited diet (due to a medical condition) and he likes the things he likes, good to know that when they know what it is they'll serve it every night if he wants.

So what's everyone's favourite main course that you would recommend I "ask for as a special request"

You may have gotten the wrong impression from this thread. There IS a set menu that changes every night and there are a few items that are on an alternate menu and available each night ( like chicken or a steak). You generally cannot ask for any item you want ( not on the evening menu) and expect it be served.

Please be aware that there is no guarantee that they will serve a specific item that was offered on a previous night, or because you simply asked.

The menus are varied with lots of options. The staff will try to accommodate your needs as best they can. If you have a special need for your son, you may want to contact the cruise line.

enjoy

It's been awhile ago...but we were talking with our tablemates about how sad we were that the Grand Marnier souffle was no longer on the dessert menu. We all agreed it had been our favorite dessert. The waiter overheard the conversation. The next night he told us that he had arranged for a special dessert for us - the Grand Marnier souffles!! What a great surprise!! :)We loved it, we all enjoyed them, and he enjoyed a bonus for his efforts.

Judy

No, I would never order anything that was not on the menu for that day. Just seems rude and demanding to me.

Like your message, it depends on the delivery. This comes off as judgmental and condescending. We have never asked for anything special, sometimes the waiters suggest it. We tend to go out of our way to be nice to the wait staff (not just financially) and we always seem to get waiters wanting to do something for us.

Us too:D We were on the Freedom sailing last October when we ran in to the storm when we tilted.:eek: We were in the WJ at the time & what the crew went through with everything flying around like it was being shot out of a slingshot. When we got back to our cabin we went right to sleep. Woke up the next morning our aft balcony partition was gone, had extra chairs on the balcony & the floor was covered in plexiglass. Well things happen. I needed to get out a bag for pressing so went looking for the steward. When I found him he stiffened up thinking I was going to pitch a fit. He said he knew about the mess & would be there shortly. Told him we didn't care about it, already went out with shoes on & not to worry, we were good. Not much flooding either, only in front of the slider. He was so relieved I got a hug & he took the pressing down right then:p On that note there were many people injured and the ship was a disaster, all clean by morning, so I am not saying everything was good, we were very lucky.

One person from our table asked for shrimp cocktail......they brought it out for everyone, every night of the cruise. On one cruise on the Explorer, I was talking to the Indian waiter about Indian food and about what the crew/staff ate......and every night there was a small Indian dish on our table from the staff kitchen for everyone to taste!:)

I keep reading where people ask for things in the MDR like shrimp cocktail or an extra XYA or other items not printed on that night's menu. Do you do this???

On my first-ever cruise, I couldn't decide between two entrees. In a restaurant, I generally solve this dilemma by asking the waiter for his/her opinion. My dining-room waiter responded, "Which one do you want me to bring first?" I was flabbergasted. "You're going to bring me BOTH??" (Yeah...experienced cruisers within ear shot were undoubtedly laughing at me!!) I let him decide which to "bring first" and was clearly not interested in a ANOTHER meal afterward, so I didn't let him bring the second. (I can't eat THAT much!!!)

Since then, I've made only the occasional special request. I once requested a side dish offered on a previous night that was NOT on the menu that night. Yup...they got it for me. I've requested MORE shrimp and NO lobster on lobster night. No problem. My son always requests a second Escargot.

Yes, I agree with the other poster. You read this wrong. It isn't likely that you can just sit down and say "Nope, don't want any of this. Bring me tuna fish on rye with a side of crisps, please."

It's usually one item or one side or something small. This often involves the asst. waiter doing something that takes time out of their day or shift.

Shrimp cocktail is probably the single most requested appetizer substitution. I think they've figured this out over the years and just plan for it.

Sometimes the wait staff will know they serve ITEM X in another location. They will run from one location, through the bowels of the ship, to another and get that item. However, every time you do that... that poor guy at the next table is wondering "why is my refill taking so long???" Point being, each time you make a special request you might want to weigh it with how much time you'll take from everyone around you.

You certainly deserve the best service, but at some point the scale tips and you just become a pain to everyone around you. Obviously, some of your post comes from a dietary stance and probably wouldn't go as far as I mentioned, but that's how I think before I ask for something special.

I asked for a bowl of fresh berries for dessert on the Liberty. They didn't have them available the first night, but the following evening they brought me a bowl, as well as some for the other two ladies with me.

Last week on the Freedom they were not as flexable as previous cruises.

Sure you could have 5 lobster tails if you wanted or seafood platter with prime rib.

But, lets say you wanted something off the menu, like a different appetizer or vegetable, they were not as accomadating.

We survived though,

We did see one table ask for and get a plate of lobster tails that were passed around.

Safe travels

When I put in a special request, it's not usually something "on the spot" that I want. Instead, it's something that I arrange ahead of time for the following night(s).

I love the olive tapenade that's served with the bread in the MDR at lunchtime, so I ask the head waiter if it is possible to serve it to our table at dinnertime too (not that first night, but on the subsequent nights.)

We also love tiramisu, so we've also asked the head waiter if it was possible to have it on a second or even a third night during the cruise.

I don't usually make special requests but most waiters will pick up on what you like and bring extra. We said we liked Indian food on our last Allure cruise and the waiter always brought me the Indian choice of the day with extra poppadoms and on the last night he brought us a big bowl of some kind of chicken. It was very good but too much food!

Whoa! I don't recall ever seeing that on a RCCL ship.

I am going to have to give that a try!

Steve.. i don't know the official RCCL name.. but it's the warm choc cake that comes on one of the formal nights.. it usually has a piece of almond brittle on top and much better if you get a scoop of vanilla ice cream on the side.

Archived