1 Lap = How Far?

PeaceLoveCruise

If I recall correctly, Vista ships, three times around is approximately 1 mile. I wore a pedometer and it measured close but not exact.

On "S" Class ships, four times around is approximately 1 mile. :)

On all ships, it is posted on a bulkhead along Promenade Deck.

If I recall correctly, three times around is approximately 1 mile. I wore a pedometer and it measured close but not exact.

Nothing wrong with your memory - The Oosterdam does have a sign stating 3 laps = 1 mile. I didn't check it against my pedometer, but it seemed about right.

Does anyone know how far one lap around the lower promenade or upper deck of the Westerdam is?
If by "upper deck" you mean the Observation Deck, that's much shorter than the Promenade - about 4.5 laps per mile.

Does anyone know how far one lap around the lower promenade or upper deck of the Westerdam is? (I know... Very grammatically poor sentence. Forgive me. :)

PeaceLoveCruise

On the Lower Promenade it usually works out to 3.5 laps equal a mile.

When we do the "On Deck for the Cure" on any of the ships they always tell us 3 times around equals a mile.
On the S & R class ships it's actually about 1400 feet around, or 3.77 laps to the mile.

On the Lower Promenade it usually works out to 3.5 laps equal a mile.
On the Vistas it's about 1700 feet, or 3.1 laps per mile.

On the S & R class ships it's actually about 1400 feet around, or 3.77 laps to the mile.

"S" ships are shorter than "R" Class ships.

("S" Class) - Maasdam is 719' long; Same for her sisters.

Given that statistic, it is actually a bit closer to 4 times around = 1 mile, isn't it?

("R" Class) - Zaandam is 781 feet long; Same for Amsterdam

(Signature Class) - Eurodam is 936 feet long; same for Nieuw Amsterdam

(Vista Class) - Noordam is 936 feet long; same for her sisters.

"S" ships are shorter than "R" Class ships.
Okay, I recalculated. The S class are roughly 1400 ft around, or 3.77 laps to the mile, and the R class are closer to 1500 ft around, or 3.52 laps per mile. The Vistas are about 1800 ft around the promenade, or 2.93 laps per mile. (The Vistas are 150 ft longer than the R, but they've got a longer bow area.)

This is presuming that the deck plans are all true to scale. :D

Okay, I recalculated. The S class are roughly 1400 ft around, or 3.77 laps to the mile, and the R class are closer to 1500 ft around, or 3.52 laps per mile. The Vistas are about 1800 ft around the promenade, or 2.93 laps per mile. (The Vistas are 150 ft longer than the R, but they've got a longer bow area.)

This is presuming that the deck plans are all true to scale. :D

Sounds good to me and actually is pretty close to what my pedometer showed when we walked laps on all those ships. :)

Thanks for doing the numbers. ;)

But is that around the rail, or around the bulkhead? :rolleyes:

If I recall correctly, Vista ships, three times around is approximately 1 mile. I wore a pedometer and it measured close but not exact.

This is correct. Confirmed by a HAL officer. The two Signatures are similar in length. So, I would suspect it is the same.

What about the sports deck on The Statendam, does anyone know how many laps it takes on this deck to equal a mile?

Sorry. No, I don't know.

Please, wear a pedometer and let us know when you return. I know it is shorter distance by meaningful difference than Lower Promenade but do not know the exact amount.

What about the sports deck on The Statendam, does anyone know how many laps it takes on this deck to equal a mile?
If you mean just around the pool dome, I'd say that's 450 feet, or 11.7 laps per mile. If you mean all the way aft as far as you can go (passing through the tennis and basketball courts) I estimate that at 700 feet, or 7.5 laps per mile.

I thought there were signs put up on the promenade deck that tells you how many time around for a mile? It seems to me that on the Vista 3 times around is a mile. So I guess the signs are right according to jtl figures.

Yes, there are signs and yes, the sign says three times around on a Vista ship is approximately one mile. :)

I know this has been answered and discussed in depth here lol but I happened to see this tonight on Joanie's website for the Westerdam.

http://abqreunion2008.com/Westerdam/Westerdam-Promenade-Deck_Infi-7.jpg

That link comes up as Forbidden to me.

If it does for you too, use http://abqreunion2008.com/Westerdam/Ship-Views.html and scroll down.

Archived