What Hotel does Princess Use Pre-Cruise San Pedro

EatPrayCruise

One thing to keep in mind if you are staying at the airport and not using a Princess transfer, the trip from the airport can take any where from an hour to three hours. On our last cruise we stayed in San Pedro but the trip from the airport took almost three hours because of a traffic problem. I have also had a quick trip on other occassions. Just something to think about.

We enjoyed our stay at the Crowne Plaza for our 12/2011 Hawaii cruise on the Sapphire out of San Pedro. Got a great rate on Priceline. Shuttle ride from LAX to the Crowne Plaza was quick even though we caught a little bit of the going home traffic.

While I agree it's nice to stay near the ship, for those that stay near the airport, there is a shuttle that runs from those hotels to the pier in Manhattan Beach as well as two nearby malls. I think it costs $5. Manhattan Beach is a whole different story than San Pedro. It's a wealthy town with sports stars living there and a lot to do. Because it isn't part of the harbor you can get a real So Cal beach experience. Ride bikes along the strand, watch beach volleyball, etc.

Just to point out that Manhattan Beach is at least 15 miles away from San Pedro. So if someone is just spending one night pre-cruise, they might not be looking for places to go. Also, if a visitor is looking for a "beach experience," they might be disappointed in the weather if planning to be here between October and June.

Just to point out that Manhattan Beach is at least 15 miles away from San Pedro. So if someone is just spending one night pre-cruise' date=' they might not be looking for places to go. Also, if a visitor is looking for a "beach experience," they might be disappointed in the weather if planning to be here between October and June.[/quote']

Having grown up in the LAX area, even during the summer many days were 'late night & early morning fog & low clouds with partial clearing in the afternoon'. :p

Having grown up in the LAX area, even during the summer many days were 'late night & early morning fog & low clouds with partial clearing in the afternoon'. :p

I grew up in Manhattan Beach before it became the "in" place to be in the South Bay. You are right that the weather is often low clouds in the morning clearing to sun. I just know that every visitor we ever had could care less because they enjoyed the atmosphere of being at the beach. Besides, when I made the suggestion of taking the trolley there, it was for people booked at the airport. I said that I'd prefer to be near the ship. But Princess books people into the airport hotels, so it was a suggestion of what to do.

Has anyone had the experience of staying at the Crowne Plaza in San Pedro and parking there for the duration of the cruise (14 days) with an inexpensive rate obtained on Priceline? The hotel seems to offer a "package" that includes extended parking and maybe breakfast, but is that really necessary (and you can't buy it on Priceline anyway)? We've done this at the DoubleTree without a problem, but not sure if the Crowne Plaza is equally loose about the parking.

Has anyone had the experience of staying at the Crowne Plaza in San Pedro and parking there for the duration of the cruise (14 days) with an inexpensive rate obtained on Priceline? The hotel seems to offer a "package" that includes extended parking and maybe breakfast, but is that really necessary (and you can't buy it on Priceline anyway)? We've done this at the DoubleTree without a problem, but not sure if the Crowne Plaza is equally loose about the parking.

I've never read a post from anyone who was able to get a good price on a package deal through Priceline...only for a room. When figuring the cost to park at the pier, either the CP or Doubletree costs only about $50 additional to stay overnight & as already said is well worth the extra cost for those of us driving to the pier for a 14 day cruise. :)

We stayed at the Doubletree one night before our cruise. Rented a car at LAX and we were able to turn it in at the hotel. Enterprise I think. While it was not a cheap rental, it was less expensive than the ship's transfer. We had the use of the car to shop for wine, tour the area, go out to dinner, etc. The next morning we took the hotel shuttle to the pier. It worked out great for us because we had so much flexibility.

We stayed at the Doubletree one night before our cruise. Rented a car at LAX and we were able to turn it in at the hotel. Enterprise I think.

I thought Enterprise was located next door to the Crowne Plaza. I was going to use them but I better check where they are located.

I thought Enterprise was located next door to the Crowne Plaza. I was going to use them but I better check where they are located.

I seem to recall that there wasn't a desk of the rental car agency in the hotel lobby. The check-in desk was very familiar with the procedure for dropping off the car. Pretty sure it was Enterprise the more I think about it.

Maybe calling the hotel direct would answer the question.

We like the hotel very much. The water view room had beautiful views of the sailboat harbor and mountains in the district.

Enterprise is attached to the Crowne Plaza but you enter through the lower level. I have dropped off there and will be doing it again in October. Not sure how they handle new rentals, but be advised that they close on noon on Saturday and not open at all on Sunday.

• 2 months later...

I know this thread is a couple of months old, but I thought it was better to add to it rather than start a new one. I looked at the Crowne Plaza website, and can't tell if it is okay to leave a car there for the week. Do I just assume it is, or do I have to book a special way, or what? TIA, o'-knowledgeable-people :D

I couldn't find it on their web site either so gave them a call. You have to buy the package to park & cruise. It's $189 for the room, parking for the duration of you cruise, shuttle, drinks and breakfast. I don't know why it's not on the web site. Dh and I are staying there (again) in 2 weeks.

Archived