Global Entry

Benita

We had our interview at San Ysidro...hope you have a better experience than we did. Our appointment was for 8 and 8:30am. We were taken at 9:15. The custom agents seemed very disorganized. Lot of coffee and talking, but little else for the first hour. Ended up taking us both at the same time...left about 9:45. Advice is to make an early appointment, would hate to think of what it would be like later in the day if this is the norm.

We had our interview at San Ysidro...hope you have a better experience than we did. Our appointment was for 8 and 8:30am. We were taken at 9:15. The custom agents seemed very disorganized. Lot of coffee and talking, but little else for the first hour. Ended up taking us both at the same time...left about 9:45. Advice is to make an early appointment, would hate to think of what it would be like later in the day if this is the norm.

San Ysidro and not Otay Mesa? Doesn't really matter as it's South no matter what for us! (we're in Mission Hills)...we'll try and schedule early as you suggested! Thanks!! LuAnn

I know that people who are traveling together (husband and wife) are supposed to go through customs together. What if one has Global Entry and the other does not? Do you both have to go through the regular line? I've been trying to find the answer to this question at CBP but haven't had any success.

This was answered during the interview. Even though you both may hold GE passports you should still complete blue immigration cards SEPARATELY as it's possible the GE kiosk might not accept one (or both) of you for whatever reason.

I know that people who are traveling together (husband and wife) are supposed to go through customs together. What if one has Global Entry and the other does not? Do you both have to go through the regular line? I've been trying to find the answer to this question at CBP but haven't had any success.

If one does not have GE then you need to go through the normal line. There is no law that you have to go together. Only if you wish to combine your duty free allowance of $400 x 2 do you go together (and the fear of your partner's wrath :))

San Ysidro and not Otay Mesa? Doesn't really matter as it's South no matter what for us! (we're in Mission Hills)...we'll try and schedule early as you suggested! Thanks!! LuAnn

Was Otay Mesa. Took awhile to get there.

• 2 weeks later...

Wanted to share my experience with the application process: We decided to apply after reading this thread. It only took three days for approval after the fairly simple online application. Dulles airport is the closest center so attempted to get an interview appointment there. I was disheartened when the end of October was the earliest appointment and our next trip is the end of September. After calling a few times and getting an answering machine we decided to go to the airport and try our luck at 4:30 Friday. Knocked on the door and asked the uniformed TSA guy who answered if we could have our interview as we had already been approved. There were no other applicants in the office. He asked for our passports and driver licenses and had us watch a six minute DVD about the Global Entry program. Within minutes we were interviewed, fingerprinted and approved with a sticker on our passports. So, at least at Dulles, there is accommodationr walk-ins. We were told by the officers that the program will keep us off lines at domestic security at airports where it's in effect in addition to international arrivals.-Larry

Wanted to share my experience with the application process: We decided to apply after reading this thread. It only took three days for approval after the fairly simple online application. Dulles airport is the closest center so attempted to get an interview appointment there. I was disheartened when the end of October was the earliest appointment and our next trip is the end of September. After calling a few times and getting an answering machine we decided to go to the airport and try our luck at 4:30 Friday. Knocked on the door and asked the uniformed TSA guy who answered if we could have our interview as we had already been approved. There were no other applicants in the office. He asked for our passports and driver licenses and had us watch a six minute DVD about the Global Entry program. Within minutes we were interviewed, fingerprinted and approved with a sticker on our passports. So, at least at Dulles, there is accommodationr walk-ins. We were told by the officers that the program will keep us off lines at domestic security at airports where it's in effect in addition to international arrivals.-Larry

Same thing happened in San Francisco.

We had made an appointment, got there a little early, nobody was being interviewed so they took us right away....while we were there, someone walked in and said he was between flights and could they please squeeze him in and they did.

We're used our GOES twice and it works great, except both times my DW forgot to look at the camera, and then she had to go to the other line to be approved....but that took no time at all.

Not that any of you will be in Indianapolis, but I was pleasantly surprised last week. I went to the regular line and the TSA person scanned my Delta boarding pass. She said I should go to the priority line. I walked over there and went through without taking anything off or out of my bag. Wonderful! No where on my boarding pass was there any indication that I could go through that line, so I had bypassed it. Maybe I misunderstood what I had read on CC. It was so fast and convenient. Next time I will go to that line first if I am on Delta or United. All they can do is scan my boarding pass and tell me to get in the regular line!

With my NEXUS card, the only thing I now have to take out is the laptop. It is wonderful to be able to avoid the long lineups for screening and coming off the international flights in Vancouver is quick and easy. I think I counted 5 NEXUS machines at Customs. The only problem is that you beat your luggage so you have to wait for your luggage to arrive.:eek:

With my NEXUS card, the only thing I now have to take out is the laptop. It is wonderful to be able to avoid the long lineups for screening and coming off the international flights in Vancouver is quick and easy. I think I counted 5 NEXUS machines at Customs. The only problem is that you beat your luggage so you have to wait for your luggage to arrive.:eek:

Wonderful in Vancouver, too that we can use GE to go through US customs for the crossover instead of the old way. BTW love your city. :)

Wonderful in Vancouver, too that we can use GE to go through US customs for the crossover instead of the old way. BTW love your city. :)

We love it too, but not so much today. It is 90F today and that is unbearably hot for Vancouver. There isn't much of a breeze and we live close to the water.:eek: Thank goodness the air conditioning was working at work today.

Benita, as you knoiw, we live over 100 miles from the nearest interview center. However, we usually fly internationally out of Miami.

Do you know if there is some way to schedule the interview so that it's concurrent with a scheduled flight, so we don't have to make a 240 mile round trip?

Don, If I'm not mistaken, I'm quite sure we went through FT Lauderdale for personal interview. Which ever it is - it sure is worth the trouble. Bob travels quite a bit (me not so much) but they even had a kiosk at one of the cruise terminals in Ft L.

Lynne

PS We're doing the TA on Riveria in November this year.

Ft Lauderdale offers interviews from 10am-2pm on Monday- Friday. The office is on the access road, not in the airport itself. When we tried to make an appointment in late July, the earliest available was in late October. Miami is open from 8am-10pm on Monday-Friday and appointments were available with a couple of days.

Not that any of you will be in Indianapolis, but I was pleasantly surprised last week. I went to the regular line and the TSA person scanned my Delta boarding pass. She said I should go to the priority line. I walked over there and went through without taking anything off or out of my bag. Wonderful! No where on my boarding pass was there any indication that I could go through that line, so I had bypassed it. Maybe I misunderstood what I had read on CC. It was so fast and convenient. Next time I will go to that line first if I am on Delta or United. All they can do is scan my boarding pass and tell me to get in the regular line!

Just to be clear, was this for a domestic flight check in where you did not need your passport? We don't have GE yet, but I asked the TSA desk agent in PHX what difference it would make on check in, and was told that we could use the first class priority line. We're just waiting on our passport renewal first as it's just months away, then plan on applying.

I came back from Chicago on Friday and got to use the TSA Pre Check program, which you automatically become eligible for if you register your GOES number with your airline, in this case United.

When you scan your boarding pass at the TSA check in, they direct you to a special line...you can leave your shoes and jacket on, don't need to take your laptop out of your laptop bag or your liquids out of your suitcase...just put everything on the belt, and walk through one of the metal detectors and you are done. It took me 30 seconds.

I was so excited I had to call my wife and tell her about it.

She will get to use it when we come back from our Rome to Rio cruise in November, as we re-enter the US via Chicago.

Not every airport has it and Southwest doesn't participate yet (my home airport is Sacramento and they aren't in the program yet...and neither was Denver) but the TSA says they are going to continue to roll out the program

gary

I came back from Chicago on Friday and got to use the TSA Pre Check program, which you automatically become eligible for if you register your GOES number with your airline, in this case United.

When you scan your boarding pass at the TSA check in, they direct you to a special line...you can leave your shoes and jacket on, don't need to take your laptop out of your laptop bag or your liquids out of your suitcase...just put everything on the belt, and walk through one of the metal detectors and you are done. It took me 30 seconds.

I was so excited I had to call my wife and tell her about it.

She will get to use it when we come back from our Rome to Rio cruise in November, as we re-enter the US via Chicago.

Not every airport has it and Southwest doesn't participate yet (my home airport is Sacramento and they aren't in the program yet...and neither was Denver) but the TSA says they are going to continue to roll out the program

gary

Great first hand news!! As soon as we get back from our West Coast Coastal cruise we are going to apply...and hoe to have it when we come home as well!! Thanks for your input!!! :) LuAnn

Gary,

As it was eluded to earlier here, the selection is somewhat random - at best.

We have had GE for some time now and I have elite with AA and UA (and I am registered with both airlines) yet I was "per-selected" only once out of many times (it was in Miami).

I don't know how they decide when you qualify and when you don't for this specific clearance by TSA at the airport check in. :confused:

Of course, the GE works each time when entering USA.

Gary,

As it was eluded to earlier here, the selection is somewhat random - at best.

We have had GE for some time now and I have elite with AA and UA (and I am registered with both airlines) yet I was "per-selected" only once out of many times (it was in Miami).

I don't know how they decide when you qualify and when you don't for this specific clearance by TSA at the airport check in. :confused:

Of course, the GE works each time when entering USA.

Question: Did the TSA send you to a "special line" and you were randomly selected there?

Last week in Denver, it seemed like every other person that went through the metal detector was "randomly selected..."

Question: Did the TSA send you to a "special line" and you were randomly selected there?

Last week in Denver, it seemed like every other person that went through the metal detector was "randomly selected..."

It was in Miami and we were sent to the special line from the priority line, IIRC.

It was the only time it happened and I did not have to take out my iPad, take off my shoes, etc - just like in the good old days :D

Just returned home today from the Riviera cruise - flew from Lisbon to Miami and had my first opportunity to try out Global Entry. Walked right past all the lines to the kiosk. Within two minutes, both Michael and I were through passport control. The only problem is that it was so fast, we still had to wait 20 minutes for our luggage.

By the way, while standing in line to get through security in Miami for the flight to Barcelona two weeks ago, there was a separate line for Global Entry members. I went over and spoke to the guard - it is only for domestic flights, but it would have saved about 20 minutes of waiting.

So far my TSA experience with Delta is as follows: you must be Delta "Sky Priority," that is, gold/platinum/diamond or flying in first class, in order to access the priority TSA line. Once in that line, upon showing the Global Entry card to the TSA official at the podium, you are directed to a special line for the security light inspection. This has been my experience 100% of the time with Delta, at various airports where Delta has the policy as to Global Entry in effect. So, without Sky Priority you would not make it to the priority security line. And, without a Global Entry card, even if you make it into the priority security line, you would not then be directed to the light inspection line. It does not appear that the Global Entry card, by itself, allows entry into the priority security line.

Just got back from the same cruise as Benita.

We don't have GE yet (will likely do interview this winter when we visit family in Seattle), but did notice that the US Airways inflight magazine mentioned it 2 times, including that *IF* you go into your US Airways frequent flier profile & enter your GE (or any other entry program) info, that all US Airways boarding passes should then print out with whatever 'label' security wants to see for the easier security process.

At any rate, seems promising.

Archived