Faster to the Fun program announced today

GuitarPlayer

I checked on my upcoming Imagination cruise Carnival is selling 15 F2F. Thats a max of 60 people.

Your calculation is incorrect it would be 15 X 4 for a max of 120. Since cabins can hold upto 4 people

I think a lot of people are missing the real issue.....

All of these changes would not be a big deal IF (please note the IF)

Carnival implemented and managed it properly.

Agree with you there!

Now that everyone, who has any long term experience with Carnival, has gotten themselves up off the floor from laughter....

Show a little sensitivity....

It is bad enough that Carnival knocked these folks to the ground 2 months ago .... now they are kicking them in their teeth with this. NOT as much because of the dilution of perks for the almighty dollar....but because we know that Carnival will make a cluster out of this as well.

How quickly we forget what happened with the Milestone program.

What was Carnival's "intentions".... that you only get the card on the 25. 50 etc.

What ACTUALLY happened....Carnival made a mess of it. Their own staff did not even know how it was suppose to be handled properly.

The first loyalty program has been in place for 6 years and ports can not even find our cards on a consistant basis because they were "different". We have to get on the ship with a sticker and then stand in line at Guest Services to get our card.

Miami probably will not be an issue because of its size....but smaller ports like New Orleans have no room for "extra lines". Charleston does not even have a VIP office.

I think that the F2TF folks get to enter through the VIP door, which is a separate line into the checkin area in NOLA. After that, I guess instead of going to the check in desk queue, there would be a special line for them. It might be tight, but I could see that. The boarding area may be tricky finding them a place to sit that wasn't in with the others. It may take some reworking, but I bet it won't be too hard to do.

And just like the 3 man system only worked in "theory" (and now there are chronic complaints of poor service and cold food) .... how is this going to affect the quality of cleaning and cabin prep?

Once regular passengers (who did not purchase this) see people going to their cabins....guess what is going to happen???

This is precisely the point I brought up in a post that got lost a few pages ago. How on earth can they make sure those doors are open but only certain people enter them? There's not enough staff now, they can't have someone guarding all the entrances.

And what about folks who are now cheating (by bringing multiple cabins with them to VIP by putting them all on their Credit Card)? Carnival can not even control that loophole.

I think that the port employees COULD control this if they WANTED to.

Same thing for VIP debarkation.....it is already chaotic. It is a crap shoot on every cruise to see how it will be handled. You can already get VIP self assist just by booking an early flight....so now they are adding more people to this cluster.

Agree again. Disembarkation is a mess no matter what group you are in. IMHO, this is a major area that Carnival could improve. Once again, I think it goes back to enforcement of rules (and their lack of).

Stupidity is going the exact same thing and expecting different results.

So do not fault folks for not wanting to experience this train wreck on their vacation.

All these changes are making me dizzy. This is a TRIAL period, lest we forget. I expect MORE changes in the future as they roll this out fleetwide.

I'm also going to be interested in how they handle the "express access to the guest services desk." I've read several reviews lately where a Platinum guest is standing in the Platinum line and being ignored. So is there going to be a separate line for the FTTF people? So 3 lines? How many times have you heard that people in the "regular" line start yelling at the Platinum people for cutting the line??? How is it going to be with more people cutting the line?

Maggie

Yes the former Concierge Club Line:rolleyes:

At least we had a different colored card that would differentiate who belonged in the the line and who didnt.

How are they going to know the differnce now????

I bought it this morning for our Liberty cruise in November. We cruise several different lines, so although this will be our 10th cruise, it's not our 10th on Carnival. For me, just being able to enjoy our aft wrap that much sooner is worth every penny! (We board between 8:00 - 9:00 a.m.)

Here's what we get:

CARNIVAL’S FASTER TO THE FUN PACKAGE:

BOOK IT TODAY TO JUMPSTART THE FUN

Here’s what it includes:

Priority Security, Check-in and Express Boarding

Bypass lines & have exclusive security screening lanes. If you arrive after general boarding has begun, you may bypass the General Boarding line & board via the Faster to the Fun lane. The quicker you are on the ship, the quicker you get to hold a frosty drink.

First Access to Stateroom

Your stateroom will be ready for you as soon as you board so you can relax or freshen up for all the fun you are about to have.

Express Luggage

Your luggage will be expedited to your stateroom so you can unpack and don your cruise attire first!

Guest Services

Quickly have any of your questions answered or requests addressed as you will have a dedicated phone & line at Guest Services.

Dining Reservations

Priority Main Dining Room and Specialty Restaurant reservations.

Tender Priority

You will have priority tender from ship to shore (multiple departure times may be possible) so you can explore ashore as quickly as you want to.

Debarkation Choices

We are always sad to see you go. But when your cruise is over, you may choose an early or late disembarkation time upon arrival to your homeport.

I booked it for both my rooms for my November Liberty. Per my PVP, we will not get on the ship between 8am-9am but will get on as soon as the Captain clears the ship for boarding. Depending when its cleared by customs, it still can be late morning. It does sound similar to VIP as to not needing to wait in line or for others to board before you.

I like the idea on getting into my room, putting away my carry ons and walking around the ship hands free to hold my DOD :D.

Also, with non Carnival excursions in Belize and Grand Caymans, the priority tenders are what sold me.

I hope its worth it :)

Sorry they said two per cabin but did the correct calulation...

two what per cabin? its $50 per cabin........regardless of the folks in there......but if there were 4 people in the 15 cabins.......that would total 60 people......not 120

DH and I both work, and only get to do one, maybe two vacations a year. At that rate, it will take forever to get to Diamond status. I would prefer paying for the perks as I use them, so I think I would utilize and pay for this service. Also, I sometimes do pay to sit in the first class lounge, especially when traveling overseas.

I'll give them heroics. I'll give them the most spectacular heroics they've ever seen! And when I'm old and I've had my fun, I'll sell my inventions so everyone can be superheroes! Everyone can be super! And when everyone's super... ... no one will be.

Syndrome - The Incredibles

So the folks that put in the time and loyalty to become Platinum basically get (limited) laundry for free now?

For a rather small fee, you too can be Platinum!

I find this a bit of a slap in the face to the Platinum and above guests.

That will make more people in those early embarkation, etc so it won't be as "quick" as if you only allow those who earn it to use it.

I just emailed my TA about this. Travelling in 2 cabins with three kids and a nanny (as well as DH and I) it is totally worth it. Waiting in line with a toddler is not pleasent for us (or anyone stuck near us). I am already paying to bring a nanny on board with us to make life easier so the extra $100 is a pretty good value for what we will get! ;)

AS far as getting perks by "paying" for them versus earning...to a certain extent other cruiselines, even Carnival, already do this with "suites". You can pay extra for a suite and get early boarding, access to tenders, special line at guest services, etc. So now they are simply extending this model of paying for extras a little further. If they limit the number of passes available, it shouldn't much impact those with earned priority status versus paid for perks.

One thing no one has mentioned, is the late debarkation option.

If I remember from the survey correctly this would allow you to stay on the ship all day until the all ashore call is given before sail away (when they kick the wedding guests off).

Under certain circumstances that may be worth the 50 bucks.

According to JH I was wrong about this.

It just means you can stay to last call which you can do now for free.

To me it will come down to how many purchases Carnival allows per sailing. The theme parks do this and it has now come down to everyone buying the less wait time tickets and waiting in line is like it was previously. We ususally get to the docks early so it has not ever been a big issue in boarding. In fact one time a VIP couple entered the ticket area before us and we made it through security ahead of them. Go figure.

AS far as getting perks by "paying" for them versus earning...to a certain extent other cruiselines, even Carnival, already do this with "suites". You can pay extra for a suite and get early boarding, access to tenders, special line at guest services, etc. So now they are simply extending this model of paying for extras a little further. If they limit the number of passes available, it shouldn't much impact those with earned priority status versus paid for perks.

The only suite perk which Carnival bestows on people is the priority boarding - and priority debarkation on most ships (though that one had not been listed anywhere in the past). The ability to utilize the Platinum/Diamond line at guest services has not been a suite perk, nor anything to do with tenders.

I wonder if the newly installed signs at guest services will now have to be modified!

Diamond-Platinum-Line-at-Guest-M.jpg

Tom

Tom

I found it interesting that Carnival was willing to alienate so many people for what amounts to $749.25 per sailing (based on 15 FtF's sold per sailing).

Yes, I did the math.

Here - I'll give you a bit of math also!!:p:D Just figured out it cost the 4 in my family a total of around $45,000 to be recognized as Platinum under the old system of taking 10 cruises - all ours were 6-9 days long - not one less than 6 days. All taken during school vacations/holidays, as that is the only time I can cruise. That does NOT include incidentals on board, (drinks, bingo, photos, excursions bought thru CCL, etc.) Heck - I would be thrilled to pay less than $50 per cruise to get what they are giving with the new program!! $500 vs $45,000??? It's a no brainer!

DH and I both work, and only get to do one, maybe two vacations a year. At that rate, it will take forever to get to Diamond status. I would prefer paying for the perks as I use them, so I think I would utilize and pay for this service. Also, I sometimes do pay to sit in the first class lounge, especially when traveling overseas.

See above!:)

The only suite perk which Carnival bestows on people is the priority boarding - and priority debarkation on most ships (though that one had not been listed anywhere in the past). The ability to utilize the Platinum/Diamond line at guest services has not been a suite perk, nor anything to do with tenders.

I wonder if the newly installed signs at guest services will now have to be modified!

Diamond-Platinum-Line-at-Guest-M.jpg

Tom

Tom

I had no idea what Carnival offered for suites as it didn't seem worth it. However, NCL has extensive offerings for their "suite" guests which includes priority boarding, tendering, access to a special dining room for breakfast/lunch, reserved area for shows, etc. Many of these perks they also offer to their return guests as perks. So in that sense, being willing to pay for extras is already done on other cruiselines. Carnival isn't doing anything particularly radical in selling some of these benefits to a limited number of people either in the form of a cabin "pass" or in the form of a specialty cabin that comes with additional benefits. If there was a set of 50 cabins that were designated FTIF cabins and the price point to book these cabins was higher then others would it still be such an issue? From a business sense this is what they did - they just didn't designate the exact cabins which could have this. Even Carnival has done this with their "Spa" cabins.

I am sorry for the Platinum and Diamond cruisers. I am sure I would feel the same if I was one, but for me this is awesome. From now on, this will be something I will not consider cruising without as long as it exists. I would pay $50 just for priority embarkation. It is the reason I have purchased the suite in the past.

Late disembarkation sounds like a joke then. That's not a perk. Anyone can wait until the last number.

VIP line on tender ports for RETURN to the ship??? I am pretty sure I read that it was only ship to shore and not the return (shore to ship). Where did you get your info?

I may have been wrong about tender return it was late when I read this story.

http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/feature/Carnival-Faster-to-the-Fun-120807.cfm#axzz22yeXIVjl

It states that there will be priority lines but it reads that they will be when the ship is docked. Granted this story could be wrong.

I had no idea what Carnival offered for suites as it didn't seem worth it. However, NCL has extensive offerings for their "suite" guests which includes priority boarding, tendering, access to a special dining room for breakfast/lunch, reserved area for shows, etc. Many of these perks they also offer to their return guests as perks. So in that sense, being willing to pay for extras is already done on other cruiselines. Carnival isn't doing anything particularly radical in selling some of these benefits to a limited number of people either in the form of a cabin "pass" or in the form of a specialty cabin that comes with additional benefits. If there was a set of 50 cabins that were designated FTIF cabins and the price point to book these cabins was higher then others would it still be such an issue? From a business sense this is what they did - they just didn't designate the exact cabins which could have this. Even Carnival has done this with their "Spa" cabins.

Just wondering why, if you had no idea what they offered for suites, you would post what you did.

I have sailed with NCL a few times and enjoyed their suite perks. I recall on the Epic when they started selling the passes to POSH for a limited amount of (non-suite) people. There were concerns by many that it would spoil the suite experience. I have heard no horror stories as a result, though I have not been looking for any either!

Don - you were one of those who purchased a POSH pass, did you feel it was crowded? The times I was up there I did not note a particularly large crowd (though we were probably up there ourselves less than 15 minutes over two different sailings)!

Tom

I found it interesting that Carnival was willing to alienate so many people for what amounts to $749.25 per sailing (based on 15 FtF's sold per sailing).

Yes, I did the math.

Yes $700 on one sailing. But add that amount on every sailing on every carnival ship. Its not such a small number anymore.

And while people may be mad now how many will actually switch to another line? Very few I would imagine. So they lose a few cruisers but are still making more money with this system.

As I already said, I was taught to be greatful when someone gives me something for free, not to complain that it isn't good enough. The only thing they owe you is a cruise. Not freebies.

Yes $700 on one sailing. But add that amount on every sailing on every carnival ship. Its not such a small number anymore.

And while people may be mad now how many will actually switch to another line? Very few I would imagine. So they lose a few cruisers but are still making more money with this system.

As I already said, I was taught to be greatful when someone gives me something for free, not to complain that it isn't good enough. The only thing they owe you is a cruise. Not freebies.

Perhaps I missed it. It there something in this gimmick that has a retail value to it?

Here - I'll give you a bit of math also!!:p:D Just figured out it cost the 4 in my family a total of around $45,000 to be recognized as Platinum under the old system of taking 10 cruises - all ours were 6-9 days long - not one less than 6 days. All taken during school vacations/holidays, as that is the only time I can cruise. That does NOT include incidentals on board, (drinks, bingo, photos, excursions bought thru CCL, etc.) Heck - I would be thrilled to pay less than $50 per cruise to get what they are giving with the new program!! $500 vs $45,000??? It's a no brainer!

See above!:)

And the only reason you cruised and spent all that money was to become Platinum?

BTW it cost me less for 15 cruises but most of mine were in inside cabins.

Just wondering why, if you had no idea what they offered for suites, you would post what you did.

I have sailed with NCL a few times and enjoyed their suite perks. I recall on the Epic when they started selling the passes to POSH for a limited amount of (non-suite) people. There were concerns by many that it would spoil the suite experience. I have heard no horror stories as a result, though I have not been looking for any either!

Don - you were one of those who purchased a POSH pass, did you feel it was crowded? The times I was up there I did not note a particularly large crowd (though we were probably up there ourselves less than 15 minutes over two different sailings)!

Tom

While NCL sells the Posh pass..... is that only once you board the ship so they know exactly how many suite Pax there are prior?

With CCL these are being presold..... So how do they know how many platinums will be onboard 2 months out??

BTW we are looking forward to exploring the Epic;)

Archived