The Crew Remembers You? Not Really.

ducklite

I agree with the comments about Facebook "friends" being kind of ridiculous when they number in the hundreds, or even anything over about 20. However, I believe that you become friends with someone when, by some unspoken mutual agreement, you get beneath that surface level of conversation and start discussing things that truly matter to you and to them. It can happen after just a few days or it may take a long time - or it may never happen, then the person remains an acquaintance. You may remain friends with someone forever, or you could drift apart due to distance or lifestyle or philosophy changes in either of you.

The captain, officers and cruise directors get a manifest with list of passengers and number of cruises on that line and what catagory you're in. That doesn't mean they look at them though. The Housekeeping Director tells our room steward, when we are back on the same ship, that we will be in cabin xx. I always wonder why they remember us?

I would think the stewards, bartenders etc have access to the manifest as well. They don't get any private information that may show on Captain or Hotel Manager's listing but the stewards may scan it to see if they recognize any names etc

Even if it is true, it would still be quite an accomplishment for a crew member to recognize someone just from seeing a picturefor a few seconds that might be several years old. I think some of the crew just really do connect with some of the passengers.

Exactly. Just like I remember some of the crew, the crew remembers some of the passengers.

I'm sure we have sailed with many crew members on multiple ships that I would not remember ~ it's like anywhere you go. Some people talk/interact enough to remember one another.

This will be my last comment on this fun topic. We think that repeat cruisers fall into two basic categories. The most common type is the folks that take 1 (or possibly) 2 shorter cruises (no more then 10 days) a year. Given that crew members work contracts (usually 6-0 months) and then can be gone or on a differeent ship, it is likely that these folks seldom have a lot of interaction with the same crew members and thus are not rememberd. But there is another segment of the cruise market (including many retirees) that spend a lot of time on cruise ships. These folks will routinely cruise for several months a year (we fall into that category)...often on longer cruises (at least 14 days). This 2nd group does often form lasting friendships with various crew members and these friendships can last for years if not forever. For those of us who do a lot of cruising...coming onboard a ship often feels like coming back home. This is especially true for those that cruise specific ships many times. You will actually see passengers inviting officers to join their tables at dinner (we have done this several times) or vice versa. You see passengers coming on board on embarkation day and hugging various crew members who have become good friends, exchanging family pictures, gifts, etc. In some cases passengers will even spent some port days off the ship with certain crew members (this is much easier with senior staff since most junior crew members do not get much time off at ports). I only post this so that folks who are younger and currently enjoy taking their 1 or 2 cruises a year know that there is something different to look forward to as they get older and have more time (and hopefully money) to spend on ships.

Hank

But there is another segment of the cruise market (including many retirees) that spend a lot of time on cruise ships. These folks will routinely cruise for several months a year (we fall into that category)...often on longer cruises (at least 14 days).

Hank

I wanna be you...........................

Archived