Took the plunge - First Cruise - Zuiderdam Y2T June 2013

NoDakinMN

First post and I'd like to say thanks to everyone for such great information on the CC Board. The advice has helped us make an informed decision about what ship, which month, which itinerary, etc prior to booking.

My wife and I (43 & 40yrs young) are taking our first cruise ever and Alaska has been on our bucket list for years! Another couple is joining us which will be their first Alaskan cruise as well.

We chose Y2T itinerary (14 day Dawson and Denali Cruisetour) on the Zuiderdam. We begin in Anchorage on June 16, 2013 and start the tour phase of our trip. Then 2 days in Denali (Thanks everyone for suggesting a minimum of 2 days!!)

My biggest dilemma so far was which cabin to book. We definitely wanted a verandah. Since we are essentially only on the Zuiderdam for 3 days and 4 night, was it worth booking a deluxe verandah suite? Would we truly get our money's worth over the other veradah rooms? We looked at different start dates on the Zuiderdam, and saw they had deluxe verandah suite at the same price as a superior verandah suite by starting our trip a week later.

So.... We are booked in 6166, a deluxe verandah suite with an wrap around deck on the aft of the Zuiderdam! We are excited and reading CC over the past couple days helped decrease some of our worries. It seems the majority want a verandah and the aft area is popular!

Be ready CC for lots of questions as we plan our first cruise!:D

Congratualtions on your first cruise! Since you've been a member of CC for a few years, I'm sure you're aware that it's an addiction. And you're starting with such a good cabin. Those aft wraps are wonderful.

Are your friends also in a deluxe? If not, remember that they can't use the Neptune with you, but you may order afternoon tea or hors d'ouerves for four delivered to your cabin for all of you to enjoy--on your balcony if the weather cooperates.

If you like to take pictures, however many memory cards you usually travel with, double it! Alaska is gorgeous.

And welcome to posting!

I think you will love cruising and I think Zuiderdam is a perfect 1st ship to take its not too big and not to small , the only problem with the suite you picked is you will be spoiled and not want anything smaller in the future.

Welcome to posting and congratulations on your

cruise selection for your first cruise. Same as our first, in 2010.:)

Can't help but agree with your aft-wrap cabin choice.

Our first cruise was spent in 6177 (the other side of the Zuiderdam ...

also deck six). :)

The hard part now is waiting until next June.:eek:

Here is what your view will be like:

GBBALCONY_0292.jpg

P1000269_0583.jpg

Congratualtions on your first cruise! Since you've been a member of CC for a few years, I'm sure you're aware that it's an addiction.I joined in 2010 thinking we'd get this Alaskan Cruise in, but so busy with our kids that just never happened. And you're starting with such a good cabin. Those aft wraps are wonderful. Live by the motto... Life is short, so Enjoy it!

Are your friends also in a deluxe? If not, remember that they can't use the Neptune with you, but you may order afternoon tea or hors d'ouerves for four delivered to your cabin for all of you to enjoy--on your balcony if the weather cooperates.No, they are in an oceanview. I had to twist their arm a bit to get them to go oceanview over an interior.The wife is a bit scared of being on a ship. The plan is to hang out on our balcony together for some pre-dinner drinks and maybe later in the evening.

If you like to take pictures, however many memory cards you usually travel with, double it! Alaska is gorgeous. I'll definitely take that advice. Sounds like my wife might get an upgraded camera for x-mas this year!

And welcome to posting!

Looking forwards to learning from the experts!

Archived