HAL Passengers Records

Sbilko

We all know that you can track a lot data on computers. I would like to ask how many people believe that HAL tracks passenger’s records, behavior, and loyalty.:confused: For example:

1. Have the passengers, cancelled their cruise often?

2. How much money did the passengers spend on the ship?

3. Total amount spent with HAL for a cruise?

4. Have the passengers increased/ decreased the service charge?

5. The passengers rate the crew, but do the crew rate the passengers?

6. Passengers offered upsell, did they accept or counter with a lower other offer?

7. Did the passengers complain about the service or the ship?

8. Are the passengers loyal to HAL, or have they sailed with another line?

9. Are the passengers loyal to the Carnival Group, or not?

I have no inside information, but was wondering what CC members think?

I think it reasonable to think all of your list well could be accurate.

So what?

There is no privacy left in the world and every company gathers as much info on us as they can.

I just left Sears..... where I never shop. (My friend told me she saw something there she knew I have been looking for.) They wanted my telephone and e-mail address. They said they wanted to send my receipt to my e-mail. I paid cash and told them they didn't need to know anything about me when I am paying in cash. Cashier did not like that which led me to think (perhaps erroneously) there is pressure on them to gather as much info as they can.

It wouldn't disturb me to know HAL gathered that info. None of what you listed is 'out of bounds'. IMO

[This thread sounds very familiar to me as does your list. I wonder if we haven't done an identical thread within the last six months or so?]

They certainly could collect some if not all of that data. Having designed a number of systems I can say the easiest are basically yes/no and quantitative systems. Mining data from other systems is preferred so collecting amount spent on a cruise, cabin category, etc., would be relatively easy. Systems that rely on narrative answers are possible but more difficult to develop and manage. When asked to develop systems like this I kind of separated the data elements into categories like "easy", "hard", and "you've got to be out of your mind!". :D

I think it reasonable to think all of your list well could be accurate.

So what?

There is no privacy left in the world and every company gathers as much info on us as they can.

I just left Sears..... where I never shop. (My friend told me she saw something there she knew I have been looking for.) They wanted my telephone and e-mail address. They said they wanted to send my receipt to my e-mail. I paid cash and told them they didn't need to know anything about me when I am paying in cash. Cashier did not like that which led me to think (perhaps erroneously) there is pressure on them to gather as much info as they can.

It wouldn't disturb me to know HAL gathered that info. None of what you listed is 'out of bounds'. IMO

[This thread sounds very familiar to me as does your list. I wonder if we haven't done an identical thread within the last six months or so?]

It seems like everywhere you go, stores & businesses ask for your phone & email. I very rarely give it out. I have no doubt there is pressure on the clerks to get that info ... it's really Big-Brother-y, and that's scary!!

I feel certain that HAL is tracking at least the first three items on your list. They probably do some sort of notation if a passenger is especially problematic (not certain what criteria would be used). I just don't know WHEN they started to track it. Best Buy, in this area, used to be Best Company. All members of my family shopped at Best Company. Several years ago, my Father and I went to buy a TV at Best Buy. They had my Father in their database but didn't have me.

It seems like everywhere you go, stores & businesses ask for your phone & email. I very rarely give it out. I have no doubt there is pressure on the clerks to get that info ... it's really Big-Brother-y, and that's scary!!

I have created a free email account just for this purpose. They send ads to it and every now and again it comes in handy. You can create as many as you want at Yahoo, Hotmail or Gmail.

Recently Nordstrom asked for my email address to send an electronic receipt. I really like it since sometimes I lose receipts and it could come in handy incase you need to return an item. I think more and more stores will use this practice. That's how we get our cruise docs from HAL.

I'm sure they do. They got ours mixed up. My inlaws sailed on HAL once in the early 90s. MIL was sea sick the entire trip so they have never cruised again. DH and I are getting ready to take our 1st HAL cruise. DH and FIL have the same name and neither use Sr or Jr. Last week, I called to cancel one shore excursion and book a different one. The person I was talking to wanted to verify our mailing address and they had my FILs address. I have never given them that address. It wasn't justthe wrong address. It was my FILs address. That could only come from tracking data.

If I had to guess, which I don't, but I'll guess anyway, it would be as follows:

I can't see that 1, 4, 6, 8, and 9 are more than minimally useful to the cruise line, if at all, so not worth keeping

2 and 3 are obviously crucial to managing the cruise line

I know that they do 7 because I receive not very informative letters at the beginning of each cruise suggesting that they have been warned that I am a "commenter" either or both complementary and critical; I've never figured out whether I should consider them positive or negative, so I don't

5 I hope not. It's not the same as college students ranking professors, but it's too close for comfort.

I have created a free email account just for this purpose. They send ads to it and every now and again it comes in handy. You can create as many as you want at Yahoo, Hotmail or Gmail.

Recently Nordstrom asked for my email address to send an electronic receipt. I really like it since sometimes I lose receipts and it could come in handy incase you need to return an item. I think more and more stores will use this practice. That's how we get our cruise docs from HAL.

Most of us have a hotmail or yahoo address but I want the receipt in my hand when I leave the store. What do you do if the e-mail never arrives and you wish to return a pricey item or even a not so pricey item?

Most of us have a hotmail or yahoo address but I want the receipt in my hand when I leave the store. What do you do if the e-mail never arrives and you wish to return a pricey item or even a not so pricey item?

At Nordstrom gave me a paper receipt at the time of purchase and then also emailed me one. Seemed like great customer service - sure wish Lord & Taylor would do the same.

We all know that you can track a lot data on computers. I would like to ask how many people believe that HAL tracks passenger’s records, behavior, and loyalty.:confused: For example:

6. Passengers offered upsell, did they accept or counter with a lower other offer?

I am sure they track most of it they reward you with double points for booking suites and also for how much you spend. They also responded to our complaint on one cruise.

At Nordstrom gave me a paper receipt at the time of purchase and then also emailed me one. Seemed like great customer service - sure wish Lord & Taylor would do the same.

So interesting how we react differently.

I bought a gift last week in Nordstrom's and they were eager to e-mail my receipt. I requested a paper one at point of sale and they were happy to provide it. They try hard to garner as much info as they can.

Choices...... good when we have the choice to ask for traditional paper receipt or prefer e-mail one.

A note about these two --

A short while back someone posted that you can get a copy of your final statement from recent cruises by emailing the Mariner Society. Actually, if you go to the contact page I believe that was one of the "built in" questions. So HAL does have it available, whether or not it is incorporated into a profile.

We've done almost 80 cruises with HAL.

Do you think they could provide us with the total amount we have spent with them through the years? :eek:

I am positive they can but WE DO NOT WANT TO know. :D

Not really off topic -- when they asked for my phone number when I paid cash I said no, they already had it. The clerk replied that if I wanted to return the item and lost the receipt they could trace it and give me back the cash, not a Lowe's credit. Interesting tracking method.

We've done almost 80 cruises with HAL.

Do you think they could provide us with the total amount we have spent with them through the years? :eek:

I am positive they can but WE DO NOT WANT TO know. :D

We have now taken that many, but I know if I didn't take our 55 cruises, I could be retired. Not that I regret taking any of them.

Yes -- with today's computer systems -- HAL can certainly keep track of many of the above list.

As for the crew rating the passengers -- probably only when they have had problems with certain passengers for whatever reason. But you can be certain that the crew do talk among themselves about various passengers.

I am confused -- first you agreed with sail7seas that you had taken 80 HAL cruises and in the same sentence you said that you had taken 55 cruises??

I suspect GeorgeC made a typo.

I think he meant to say 'not' in place of now.

Archived