Did anything happen on the Jewel yesterday?

auntierobin

I noticed that the Jewel left Victoria almost 3 hours late, and at 3:09am made a stop in Port Townsend according to Marine Traffic Alerts (AIS).

Anyone hear anything? I hope nothing happened.

I do not know but She tied up in Seattle at about the correct time.

I looked at the AIS track and she did not stop at Port Townsed - it looks like she made her regular tranist - they usually go over close to Port Angeles to pickup/drop off pilots - they do this on the way out as well.

As for being late leaving Victoria - that could have been almost anything - as others have said - the distance between Victoria and Seattle is so short it would be easy to make up time - and considering she was doing 17+ kts at times.

They could have been waiting for some late pax or something. Not a big deal since it's only about 100 miles or so between Victoria and Seattle. They DO, go quite a ways before rendezvousing with the pilot. This was at least a couple of hours after we left Victoria

IMG_3917-vi.jpg

Thanks! I had great fun on this trip taking pictures of absolutely everything with my new camera. lol. Things like this...dark, moving..were challenging for a guy just learning how to use a DSLR

Those pilot boats have a heck of an engine. I was in my room and HEARD it come up. VROOOOOOM :)

Thanks! I had great fun on this trip taking pictures of absolutely everything with my new camera. lol. Things like this...dark, moving..were challenging for a guy just learning how to use a DSLR

Those pilot boats have a heck of an engine. I was in my room and HEARD it come up. VROOOOOOM :)

Great photo, im impressed with how sharp it is considering how dark it is outside and with the search light on the pilot boat pointing towards you, must have caused confusion with the sensors on your camera. What camera were you using ?

Great photo, im impressed with how sharp it is considering how dark it is outside and with the search light on the pilot boat pointing towards you, must have caused confusion with the sensors on your camera. What camera were you using ?

At the risk of hijacking the thread.. ;) A Canon T2i with their 18-135 IS lens. I shot it at F5.6 at 1/25 shutter (hand held) with no flash.

I was trying hard to not drop the camera into the ocean. haha

Taking handheld pictures at night is very challenging and can be very rewarding

IMG_3547-vi.jpg

They could have been waiting for some late pax or something. Not a big deal since it's only about 100 miles or so between Victoria and Seattle. They DO, go quite a ways before rendezvousing with the pilot. This was at least a couple of hours after we left Victoria

IMG_3917-vi.jpg

That is one of my 'must do' activities on my cruises....not actually photographing the pilot boarding, but just watching....:cool:

Do you use the auto or program mode or are you f-stop, ISO and shutter speed savvy?

At the risk of hijacking the thread.. ;) A Canon T2i with their 18-135 IS lens. I shot it at F5.6 at 1/25 shutter (hand held) with no flash.

I was trying hard to not drop the camera into the ocean. haha

Taking handheld pictures at night is very challenging and can be very rewarding

IMG_3547-vi.jpg

Not to further attempt to hijack the thread, however I LOVE this picture.:D

The AIS info I had showed about a 2 or 3 minute gap between arrival and departure of Port Townsend so not sure what that was about - it was 8:08 arrival and 8:10 departure UTC time IIRC.

The only thing they could have done during that short amount of time is switch out the pilot. Because of the delay leaving Victoria they probably had to make some concessions to the pilot schedule and get closer to port than normal. Those guys work on some pretty strict schedules.

Do you use the auto or program mode or are you f-stop, ISO and shutter speed savvy?

This one was shot in full manual mode. I had been shooting a bright moon over the deck for about 30 minutes, so I had a feel for what it would take. Then you just shoot, look at the result, adjust, shoot again. The key is doing it quickly :) I'd post a few more interesting pictures, but I'd likely get banned.

Back to the original topic....

This one was shot in full manual mode. I had been shooting a bright moon over the deck for about 30 minutes, so I had a feel for what it would take. Then you just shoot, look at the result, adjust, shoot again. The key is doing it quickly :) I'd post a few more interesting pictures, but I'd likely get banned.

Back to the original topic....

Have you ever thought about submitting your pictures to a travel magazine?? They are that good. Porthole Cruise Magazine has a link on Facebook this morning looking for submissions. I love the Pilot Boat one. May I have your permission to print it and put it in my Norwegian photo album??

Mandy

Archived