What if singers get sick?

improvman

I am sure each show has a plan B because over the course of a 6 to 8 month contract a brief illness is bound to happen from time to time. Maybe one of the dancers is also the backup singer or possibly they change the routine such to eliminate the ill singer all together, who knows.

To the best of my knowledge I have not seen a show affected by a missing, ill singer although I have had a show cancelled due to rough seas.

http://luv2cruise.blogspot.com

I was on a HAL cruise a few years ago and one of the lead singers got sick and had to be sent back to the US. A replacement was flown in for our cruise and he was excellent... but the costumes were about three sizes too small. He was a trooper.

We were on a 20 day crusie last fall on the Ocean Princess and the female lead singer (the only real female singer on the small ships) and they changed around the shows without a problem. We have also been on cruises where a guest entertainer missed the connecton and satisfactory changes were made.

The entire performance is on tape. If a singer can't sing, but can perform, he'll lip sync to the recorded performance (just his part). If he can't perform at all, they usually re-schedule. We went from the first instance (on the Sun Princess) to the second in the course of a cruise. The lead male singer was spending time sleeping on deck in the sun trying to shake influenza. We were sitting in the front and DH spotted it right away, but we didn't say anything, and then the next performance was cancelled due to his illness.

On the Coral Princess last year, several of the performers were sick at various times. One show was rescheduled until one of the main singers recovered--moved ahead one night, I think, with another entertainment taking it's place.

A couple of other shows it was easy to spot missing singers/dancers, but it didn't affect the show too much.

This happened to us on the Coral a few months ago. Just before the show began there was an announcement that Ms. XXX was unable to perform tonight and will be replaced by Ms. YYY. When the show began there was one less female dancer.

Archived