1st Time Cruiser Oasis of the Seas Review

hbr777

I am glad you had that experience. Nice to know. I did not. And it didn't have anything to do with chairs. I NEVER said anything about chairs and lack of them. I will forgive yousince we both spent some time in Ithaca, apparently :)

As a first time cruiser, I thought Deck 15 was loud and obnoxious, honestly. But I guess I have a different threshold.

Well, not really.

If you had been on any other cruise ship, you would have found that you could not get near the pool, you would not find any chairs available by the pool, or any chairs available anywhere on the decks above. Nothing, nowhere, but masses of people, no chairs to be had anywhere.

So, those of us that have been on other cruise ships, we were kind of amazed that you could go to the pool deck, and actually find lots of chairs everywhere at anytime.

Well, not really.

If you had been on any other cruise ship, you would have found that you could not get near the pool, you would not find any chairs available by the pool, or any chairs available anywhere on the decks above. Nothing, nowhere, but masses of people, no chairs to be had anywhere.

So, those of us that have been on other cruise ships, we were kind of amazed that you could go to the pool deck, and actually find lots of chairs everywhere at anytime.

And you still cruise as a form of vacation?:D

Wouldn't that stress you out?

I took it for granted that there would be chairs.

Why would there not be chairs?

I guess I know very little.

Ignorance is bliss.

And you still cruise as a form of vacation?:D

Wouldn't that stress you out?

I took it for granted that there would be chairs.

Why would there not be chairs?

I guess I know very little.

Ignorance is bliss.

Well, there are chairs.

For example, Explorer, 1,000 pool chairs, maybe 900. I do not know.

But, there are over 3,000 people.

Never really bothered me, as I would just sit at the pool, jump in, have a beer, jump in, have a beer, repeat often.

Well, there are chairs.

For example, Explorer, 1,000 pool chairs, maybe 900. I do not know.

But, there are over 3,000 people.

Never really bothered me, as I would just sit at the pool, jump in, have a beer, jump in, have a beer, repeat often.

Are there chairs are not? You confuse me. Your last post said:

you would have found that you could not get near the pool, you would not find any chairs available by the pool, or any chairs available anywhere on the decks above. Nothing, nowhere, but masses of people, no chairs to be had anywhere.

So which is it?

So we arrived in Cozumel and we were very excited to be on land for the day, so we could get in the ocean we could see but not dive into.

We've traveled all over Mexico, and Coz was one of the few places we had not experienced (my husband is Mexican and we used to live in Mexico City).

You know you are in MX when you can grab some Ritalin and Roast Beef at the same time:

4066993c.jpg

We went to Chankanaab, national park for snorkeling. They have sea lion shows and stuff, but we just wanted to snorkel. From the International Pier where Oasis docked, it was a $10 taxi ride for four people. I had a coupon I had printed off the internet, so it cost $19 per adult for entry. We had our own snorkeling equipment so I don't know if they charge.

There are lots of palapas and wooden chairs.

885cbe76.jpg

There is a really pretty lagoon too - not to swim in, but to look at for a backdrop for photos.

If you plan to snorkel, they give you a flotation vest. No need to pay, but you do need to leave a driver's license.

There is a restaurant on site that was about $12 per person for some tacos. Not bad.

Here's the lagoon.

8be0ec85.jpg

My first cruise was on Carnival Pride 2010. As I said in an earlier post, for about 20 years + I have done all inclusive vacations. Second cruise was Oasis last year. I was astounded at the difference in the [pool situations. Granted , the comparison is between a small, older ship and the maga Oasis. The adult pool on Pride was not much bigger than a bathtub and by the end of the day disgusting with suntan oil and dead skin. There were very few chairs directly around the pool. Most were farther away, closer to the railings. Situation was similar at the "main pool". It was always crowded any time of day.

I found Oasis to be refreshingly different despite the size of the ships. Relatively speaking, I thought the pools on Oasis were less crowded and especially in the solarium.

There is so much that is wonderful about Oasis and this review seems to have turned into a pool chair discussion.

Clearly the OP is not a fan of cruising

Please correct me if I’m wrong but your post #32 regarding sea days is that the pool decks are “insanely crowded” Based on that type of comment, my take on that is that you can barely move around the pool deck areas and having no place to go meaning no where to sit, therefore I do disagree with you as that is not what I experienced on the same cruise.

I know your photo is a fact. I didn’t disagree with you that the pools were not crowded. In fact, I agree with your term this time insanely crowded regarding the pools but again, I have experienced this on every cruise I have been on and I think for the most part many will agree. Sadly that is part of the cruise experience.

Sometimes on CC, some statements can be misleading by the way they are worded and your post #32 is a bit of a stretch….that is my opinion. I am simply offering my view point on the same cruise.:)

Bottom line - it was packed.

4c3b4de6.jpg

But I had Eggs Benedict and it was delicious.

c38468b8.jpg

I will try to redirect the deck chair issue...

I did not see eggs benedict on the menu you posted here.

I wanted it on my Liberty of the Seas cruise last March and did not see it on the menu there either. I have read on the CruiseCritic forums that people have requested it in the MDR and got it. Was it actually on the menu or did you make a special request for it? I am on the Oasis in March and would love it for breakfast.

Are there chairs are not? You confuse me. Your last post said:

you would have found that you could not get near the pool, you would not find any chairs available by the pool, or any chairs available anywhere on the decks above. Nothing, nowhere, but masses of people, no chairs to be had anywhere.

So which is it?

There are chairs. 1,000 chairs, with 1,000 people sitting in the 1,000 chairs. All the chairs are there. All the chairs are occupied by mid morning. Therefore, there are no chairs available.

I will try to redirect the deck chair issue...

I did not see eggs benedict on the menu you posted here.

I wanted it on my Liberty of the Seas cruise last March and did not see it on the menu there either. I have read on the CruiseCritic forums that people have requested it in the MDR and got it. Was it actually on the menu or did you make a special request for it? I am on the Oasis in March and would love it for breakfast.

Yes, it was on the menu - it was "below the fold" of the photo, so to speak. I think they several different types, with asparagus and so forth. It was delicious.

Thank you for sharing your cruise experiences. I think the beauty of CC is that new cruisers and very experienced cruisers can share their perspectives which in turn helps others.

Cruising is not for everyone so your honesty is refreshing.:)

Thank you. I appreciate that.

The only time we eat at the WJ for breakfast is when we are looking to get out super quick on an excursion.

That is probably in the newbie guide (or it should be) but doing the MDR for breakfast is a must for at-sea days and late docking days.

Nope, that is not the bottom line......bottom line is that Oasis pool deck areas are quite spacious and have a totally different feel around it from many other ships.

Can we please move on? Thank you. There is so much more to talk about.

can we please move on? Thank you. There is so much more to talk about.

AGREED!

I get it -- some cruises are packed with pool-side sunbathers, some are not.

Please continue with some more fabulous Oasis facts!

Thanks,

Ann

Can we please move on? Thank you. There is so much more to talk about.

Seriously! Reviews are always a bit subjective, but that is why you have to read more than one to get an overall feel for things. The OP even said she is a 1st timer and has nothing to compare it to. If you want to talk about the pool decks being spacious and not crowded, please start your own review.

Archived