1st Time Cruiser Oasis of the Seas Review

hbr777

Back on the ship: it is really cool, how these video screens help you navigate this behemoth of a boat.

3f3c7a23.jpg

See how it is all in the green? That means that occupancy is low. Unfortunately, every morning for breakfast in the Windjammer, it was jammed. They play an announcement over and over advising you to enjoy the Windjammer and then LEAVE. See this photo?

f3c48647.jpg

The people standing (except for the waiter) are hovering over people's tables to snag them. So, breakfast was a series of announcements to hurry up and GO, and people waiting for your table. Three mornings we asked strangers to share a table. We met a nice family from Colombia that way.

I'd suggest going elsewhere for breakfast.

The WJ can be a nightmare on all the ships,,we are definitely going to avoid this one on the Oasis in Jan.2013,,,specially since they don't have the omelette or made to order eggs:mad:...

The WJ can be a nightmare on all the ships,,we are definitely going to avoid this one on the Oasis in Jan.2013,,,specially since they don't have the omelette or made to order eggs:mad:...

I always got there at 7:00 AM. It was very good.

I looked at the time stamp on my photo: it was the first sea day, 9 am. The other days (when we weren't as tired as we were from the first day) we ate earlier, usually around 8 am if no gym or 8:30 if we had gone to the gym. Everyday was very crowded in the Windjammer.

I guess early is the way to do it. But I don't want to stress over my breakfast being stressful. I thought the WJ was small for the number of people it served, And that announcement? Stressed me out, too.

My least favorite part of the cruise were the sea days. I know some people love them, but on Oasis, the pool deck was insane. The flow riders were packed. The pools were packed. The one area of the pool deck that wasn't insanely crowded was the smoking area. I used to be a smoker so I am really not all that bothered by smoke. But it smelled not so great because it was not totally open air, but partially enclosed by windows. For me, it was the sheer number of people and noise level for which I was unprepared. I was no able to spend any length of time on the pool deck without my iPod. And because of feeling motion sick, I wasn't able to spend a lot of time up on the highest decks. And the adult only area was hot, because it is mostly enclosed.

A shot of the pool deck, early morning:

74784b66.jpg

Lots of people thrive on the energy, action, and noise of the pool deck. Not me. And as I said, this was the least favorite part of the cruise for me. I felt like there was no where to go outside to find some peace, and have a comfortable chair. I could have one or the other, but not both.

There are many Jacuzzis on the ship. And four main pools. This is one of the pools. A couple of minutes later they closed it due to biohazard:

8d214f55.jpg

Oh me, oh my...does anyone find that inviting? (well, I guess the throngs in the pics do...but this would not motivate me to cruise this size of ship).

We avoided the Windjammer except for the day we got to St Thomas and debarkation. We usually ordered room service or we ate in the Solarium Bistro that was not at all crowded and we liked the "more healthy" choices. We ate lunch there most sea days. As for pools, NEVER went to the overly crowded pools. Instead we went to the Solarium. Beautiful, peaceful, and if it got hot, you went in the pool. Would rather tolerate a bit of heat (tip get a seat on the edge in front of one of the windows that opens) than the crowds, screaming kids, and smell of cigarettes from the smoking area.

I could get there at 7AM, it's the rest of family and friends who can't:eek:..I am always up on deck early,,walking and enjoying the peace,,then I go into WJ and get some j uice and coffee (maybe a roll:))...

Oh me, oh my...does anyone find that inviting? (well, I guess the throngs in the pics do...but this would not motivate me to cruise this size of ship).

From my experience, there was always a pool that attracted lots of people, groups, young crowd. Packed.

Then there was an old fogies pool, the "uncool pool".

The Oasis, of all the ships we have been on, had the best pool deck as far as being "relatively uncrowded". Just about any time you could find good seats.

Here is an old fogey pool:

_DSC0084.jpg?t=1341254826

From my experience, there was always a pool that attracted lots of people, groups, young crowd. Packed.

The Oasis, of all the ships we have been on, had the best pool deck as far as being "relatively uncrowded". Just about any time you could find good seats.

Nice, but not the scene at all on sea days on my Oasis cruise. All the pools were packed. It was really bad. It was the height of summer and I pretty much expected it to be crowded.

What time and what time of the year was this picture taken?

What time and what time of the year was this picture taken?

I can definately tell you it was a sea day, probably morning.

Our cruise was June 23, 2012 to July 1.

We spent the majority of our time in the Solarium, every sea day, and it was never more than 50% full.

No offense, but your photo is not representative of the Oasis at capacity as I experienced it during the normal pool deck hours of say, 10-4. I only say this so readers will not have false expectations and be disappointed on what to expect on a summer time, sold out Oasis cruise, on the pool deck, at the pools.

I can definately tell you it was a sea day, probably morning.

Our cruise was June 23, 2012 to July 1.

We spent the majority of our time in the Solarium, every sea day, and it was never more than 50% full.

No offense, but your photo is not representative of the Oasis at capacity as I experienced it during the normal pool deck hours of say, 10-4. I only say this so readers will not have false expectations and be disappointed on what to expect on a summer time, sold out Oasis cruise, on the pool deck, at the pools.

No offense, but I agree with hbr777. The metadata on the photo says it was taken at 12:23 PM on June 23rd, departure day for you. My experience on Oasis says that this is not all indicative of the beach pool (or any family pool) at mid day.

On the Allure in June, my very first cruise also. No, you are not alone. I despised the pool deck. (I really hate the pool at any resort or hotel or going to the beach.) Obviously, I don't need a tan, I simply cannot tolerate lying or sitting for long periods in the sun and way too many people in the pool for me to do the type of swimming that I want to do. When we did find shade, there were so many people constantly passing that I just could not relax. The only reason that we went to the pool deck was because of our son (4 at the time). We let him get his fix and we were out of there.

Now the solarium was a different story. Loved, loved, loved this place.

Our (well, my) favorite port was Jamaica. We booked a day at an all-inclusive (Hilton Rose Hall) in Montego Bay. Very relaxing, yet enough fun for our son. Labadee was fine, couldn't really take advantage of the activities because the kiddo was not big enough.

On the Allure in June, my very first cruise also. No, you are not alone. I despised the pool deck. (I really hate the pool at any resort or hotel or going to the beach.) Obviously, I don't need a tan, I simply cannot tolerate lying or sitting for long periods in the sun and way too many people in the pool for me to do the type of swimming that I want to do. When we did find shade, there were so many people constantly passing that I just could not relax. The only reason that we went to the pool deck was because of our son (4 at the time). We let him get his fix and we were out of there.

Now the solarium was a different story. Loved, loved, loved this place.

Our (well, my) favorite port was Jamaica. We booked a day at an all-inclusive (Hilton Rose Hall) in Montego Bay. Very relaxing, yet enough fun for our son. Labadee was fine, couldn't really take advantage of the activities because the kiddo was not big enough.

I agree. It was the people walking by, bumping, shouting, kids running. It was overwhelming. My husband doesn't hang out in the sun either.

What did you do in Coz?

I agree. It was the people walking by, bumping, shouting, kids running. It was overwhelming. My husband doesn't hang out in the sun either.

What did you do in Coz?

I really wanted to schedule some type of activity for Cozumel, but my husband said that he wanted to ENJOY the vacation and that I had too many "scheduled activites". So I left Coz alone...... Well, we attempted to walk downtown, not knowing that it was several miles away, in the hot sun. He had to carry our son part of the way. When we finally reached downtown (all wet and sticky) we shopped for about 15 minutes and took a taxi back to the ship. He finally admitted that we should have booked an activity.

I can't wait to see if the teen survived (the wrath of Mom). I would have cheerfully strangled my teen if she had done that! I went looking for my 26 yo DD once on the Carnival Spirit at 3 AM. Boy, was I ticked!

Am I missing something? You went out searching for your adult 26yo daughter at 3AM?

We avoided the Windjammer except for the day we got to St Thomas and debarkation. We usually ordered room service or we ate in the Solarium Bistro that was not at all crowded and we liked the "more healthy" choices. We ate lunch there most sea days.

I agree, the Park Cafe and the Solarium Bistro were our favorite breakfast spots.

I really wanted to schedule some type of activity for Cozumel, but my husband said that he wanted to ENJOY the vacation and that I had too many "scheduled activites". So I left Coz alone...... Well, we attempted to walk downtown, not knowing that it was several miles away, in the hot sun. He had to carry our son part of the way. When we finally reached downtown (all wet and sticky) we shopped for about 15 minutes and took a taxi back to the ship. He finally admitted that we should have booked an activity.

Oh, does this sound familiar. My husband didn't want scheduled activities either. This cruise was the opposite of everything he likes. But I think he did appreciate the activities I had planned.

We went to Chankanaab park in Coz. It was nice. It would have been perfect for a 4 year old.

No offense, but I agree with hbr777. The metadata on the photo says it was taken at 12:23 PM on June 23rd, departure day for you. My experience on Oasis says that this is not all indicative of the beach pool (or any family pool) at mid day.

That makes sense - departure day. Although that would be a late departure.

Sea day, taken at 3:23 in the afternoon, Wednesday, June 27.

Can't really get a good idea of what is in the pool, but poolside chairs, many available.

_DSC0019.jpg?t=1341314271

So, this might be too much information, but I hope it will help someone who hasn't cruised but it worried about being seasick.

Four of us cruised. Three of us get motion sick. Badly. My sister and I have positional vertigo. My husband just gets motion sick, even in a car as passenger; he can't sit in the back seat. Yup, seriously.

My niece is 17 and never gets motion sick.

My sister and I went back to the doctor for the "head shaking" treatment for vertigo prior to the cruise. I only needed one treatment. My sister needed four.

We had in our arsenal: Dramamine, Bonine, ginger pills, sea bands, Scoplomine patch, and some chemotherapy anti-nausea meds.

When the ship started moving my sister was terrified. Anyone who has vertigo or has been badly seasick will understand the terror. I was fine, as were my husband and niece.

The first night at dinner, I could feel that I was sitting backwards and the ship was moving forwards. I could feel the motion but it didn't bother me.

My niece who never gets motion sick felt it, and took a Bonine. It took care of the nausea.

Two days in my sister was not feeling great so she put on a patch. Which she kept on until we were in Cozumel and I looked at her and one had almost no pupil and the other was ALL pupil. She freaked out a bit and I made her take the patch off immediately.

Anyway, the whole week I felt the motion. Sometimes I be walking down a hallway and I'd sway side to side.

I took ginger pills I bought on Amazon - so did my husband. They worked like a charm.

I never felt sick until I got off the ship in Haiti. Then I felt somewhat nauseated.

In Jamaica, I felt downright gross, but that was right before I was getting back on the ship. I drank a full-sugared Coke and took a Bonine and felt fine.

When we disembarked in Fort Lauderdale, I was dizzy, rocking and nauseated. Badly. Which was made worse then the taxi driver accidentally closed the taxi trunk door on my head:(

I remained dizzy and rocking for about 5 days. I popped a lot of Bonine.

Seriously. I was not sick ON the ship, only OFF.

Seas were calm the entire trip, by the way. The captain said he never needed to use the stabilizers.

I think the rocking was excellent for sleep - I slept like a baby on the ship.

When we disembarked in Fort Lauderdale, I was dizzy, rocking and nauseated. Badly. Which was made worse then the taxi driver accidentally closed the taxi trunk door on my head

I remained dizzy and rocking for about 5 days. I popped a lot of Bonine.

Seriously. I was not sick ON the ship, only OFF.

Seas were calm the entire trip, by the way. The captain said he never needed to use the stabilizers.

I think the rocking was excellent for sleep - I slept like a baby on the ship.

This happens most all the time, but usually wears off in a day or so, sorry it lasted longer for you. Most people are worried about being on the ship and getting sick, but no one every tells what happens after you get off and are on solid ground. Your body is still used to the movements of the ship even if the seas are calm and has to re-adjust to not moving. Going 11/24/2012 on the ship, hope the Cupcakes are worth it!

Archived