1st Time Cruiser Oasis of the Seas Review

hbr777

The only instance of mob mentality I experienced on Oasis was during a "sale" of RCL stuff in the Promenade that I ran into while going for a cupcake. People went nuts (think: Best Buy opening its doors on Black Friday, you've seen the footage, well not that bad but...) people went crazy for t-shirts. Hint: after the "sale" is over, the merchandise is still at its sale price. No need to join the mob!

7b98eefb.jpg

We had a midship Central Park cabin, deck 11, 11617. I think we made the right choice with this cabin, and we chose it because we were afraid of being seasick looking at the ocean while moving. Good move on our part: looking at the ocean was a bit disorienting, and looking at Central Park helped us tremendously. Plus at night, the Park is the prettiest venue on the ship.

Our cabin was small, but cozy, clean, and very well appointed (and a mess in this photo). Our bed was near the closet: my sister's cabin 11615 had the bed near the balcony. She liked our cabin better; I liked hers better :)

Hmmm, I hope you can see the photo. Some photos are appearing and reappearing here.

9de05979.jpg

One downfall of our location is the noise during the day. If you are seeking peace and quiet on your balcony, forget it. The pool deck is 4 decks above you and it is noisy. Very noisy. Announcements, a calypso band, kids yelling, games. This was the thing I disliked the most about the cruise: the pool deck (more on that later).

I loved the balcony in the early AM and at night. This was the view from 11617:

f329fb06.jpg

Also, we had a cabin next to the plant wall. Ever wonder what is behind the plant wall? A service space:

4cc35c3c.jpg

My least favorite part of the cruise were the sea days. I know some people love them, but on Oasis, the pool deck was insane. The flow riders were packed. The pools were packed. The one area of the pool deck that wasn't insanely crowded was the smoking area. I used to be a smoker so I am really not all that bothered by smoke. But it smelled not so great because it was not totally open air, but partially enclosed by windows. For me, it was the sheer number of people and noise level for which I was unprepared. I was no able to spend any length of time on the pool deck without my iPod. And because of feeling motion sick, I wasn't able to spend a lot of time up on the highest decks. And the adult only area was hot, because it is mostly enclosed.

A shot of the pool deck, early morning:

74784b66.jpg

Lots of people thrive on the energy, action, and noise of the pool deck. Not me. And as I said, this was the least favorite part of the cruise for me. I felt like there was no where to go outside to find some peace, and have a comfortable chair. I could have one or the other, but not both.

There are many Jacuzzis on the ship. And four main pools. This is one of the pools. A couple of minutes later they closed it due to biohazard:

8d214f55.jpg

There is a nice, quiet area aft, off the running track. There are some wooden deck chairs. You can get to the area easily from the Boardwalk area, over near the Aqua Theater. There are stairs. Follow them down to the aft area. Peace and quiet, if you seek it.

c2d7187a.jpg

91f30837.jpg

20/20 Hindsight is wonderful. If you had left your cabin and walked to the very aft of the ship, there is a door leading to a public balcony overlooking the Aqua theater , that is very quiet and peaceful, and rarely used.

I wondered about that - I had heard about the Deck 11 aft area. Was it shaded do you know? It would have been nice.

THere is another one on the next deck, so you could get sun or shade. Also there are areas where it is not windy when the ship is underway, and if you want , you can watch the the activities in the theater.

We were in 11702 on our cruise and used this area frequently.

20/20 Hindsight is wonderful. If you had left your cabin and walked to the very aft of the ship, there is a door leading to a public balcony overlooking the Aqua theater , that is very quiet and peaceful, and rarely used.

Could you tell me how to get there? My husband and I will be on our very first cruise this October, on Oasis. Thanks!

First port: Labadee

Labadee was the port I looked forward to the most, and ended up liking the least! Funny how that happened!

We got off the ship and I snapped this photo, although I almost didn't get the photo because a ship's photographer literally put his hand in front of my camera lens and said, "No! Not allowed." I was shocked. Did I breach some sort of etiquette?

44731834.jpg

She is a beautiful ship!

5dc84963.jpg

Here's what I felt about Labadee:

I did not like Labadee. I know some people love it, and I was so disappointed. It felt trapped on a giant money-making Royal Caribbean island. Columbus Cove beach was insanely crowded and the other beaches (the ones under the zip line, Adrenalin Beach?) were so rocky you needed water shoes to get in the water. The water was murky, and replete with straws, cups, and other debris. If you wanted to walk between the two beaches you could walk a gauntlet of vendors shouting at you to buy! buy! buy! Royal Caribbean brings food from the ship, and it was fine. The whole thing had a cheesy summer camp-like feel to it. I would never return - there are too many other better ports.

Tip: bring water shoes, and small bills to tip the guy who sets up the chairs for you.

We sat on Adrenalin Beach and it was less crowded. There is shade under trees. Photo taken in late afternoon, right before heading back to the ship:

08751cbf.jpg

Columbus Cove is a very narrow, and very crowded beach. It was a lot like the pool deck in terms of sheer numbers of people. 2f85442c.jpg

The water is clear here, but there are tons of people. No water shoes needed for this beach.

Here's what I felt about Labadee:

I did not like Labadee. I know some people love it, and I was so disappointed. It felt trapped on a giant money-making Royal Caribbean island. Columbus Cove beach was insanely crowded and the other beaches (the ones under the zip line, Adrenalin Beach?) were so rocky you needed water shoes to get in the water. The water was murky, and replete with straws, cups, and other debris. If you wanted to walk between the two beaches you could walk a gauntlet of vendors shouting at you to buy! buy! buy! Royal Caribbean brings food from the ship, and it was fine. The whole thing had a cheesy summer camp-like feel to it. I would never return - there are too many other better ports.

We have been to Labadee twice and if you get there right when it opens, and leave a couple hours later, it's not as bad. It gets really packed and that's a good time to leave.

I probably should say at this point that we had a good time on the cruise. But not enough to cruise again. It just wasn't my idea of a relaxing vacation. That does not mean that I hated it, or hated RCL or anything. I think RCL does an excellent job in the mass market cruise market. I say, well done RCL. It just wasn't my cup of tea. Why? Too many people, mostly. And I like the freedom and space that land travel affords.

What I thought RCL does very well:

• Crowd control (although people who say that you don't feel like you are on a ship with 8,000 cannot be sailing at capacity)
  • Embarcation and disembarcation
  • Shows! They were all amazing, Broadway quality
  • Drinks - well priced and tasty
  • Cabins - cozy, cute and comfy
  • Dinner at Chops was Excellent

What I didn't like:

• A lot of the included food I thought was not especially well prepared, although the ethnic foods were excellent
  • Crowds
  • Elevators, all of the time, crowded
  • Did I say crowds?
  • Feeling like one of the crowd, especially in port
  • Falmouth - there is nothing there and you must pay to leave it if you plan to go ashore for anything resembling a beach
  • Feeling like at times the staff was making fun of the passengers (more on that -but I have to go to work!

We have been to Labadee twice and if you get there right when it opens, and leave a couple hours later, it's not as bad. It gets really packed and that's a good time to leave.

Yes, I agree - get there early, go for a swim, and head back to the ship. I felt almost hemmed in in Labadee, it was so crowded.

I was on this cruise also so I like checking out your pictures. Thanks for taking the time to share them.

I'm afraid to tell you but if you felt motion or sick after you got home on this ship that week, you may have a problem on other smaller ships. The seas were so calm that week and this is one ship that I NEVER really experienced movement, it was actually a little annoying to me cause I love that motion.

On sea days you will always find crowds in the pools and the nearby seating on any line or ship. Many times you move up to the next deck and usually will find seats for your party. On Oasis, I could not believe how many open seats there actually were. First time I have ever experienced a choice of where I want to sit near.

We love Labadee but I do agree with you about the vendors. We arrived at Columbus Cove very early and went back by 2:00. Wish I was there right now.

Could you tell me how to get there? My husband and I will be on our very first cruise this October, on Oasis. Thanks!
On deck 11, 12 and 14, walk in the hallways going aft. There is a glass door on the side that takes you out to those balconies. Enjoy your cruise!

I really think going on Allure or Oasis for one's very first cruise is quite daring. We started on Monarch, then worked our way up. Falmouth is not exceptional in having to pay to go somewhere,that;s true of every port, unless you just want to walk around. I found it very interesting that you chose an interior balcony cabin because of not wanting to look at the ocean. Many people's complaint about the Oasis class is the lack of feeling at sea. Well, that is what choice is all about, and I am glad you seemed to have a decent time over all. No one thing is going to be wonderful for everyone. I am also glad it wasn't spoiled by seasickness....nothing could possibly make up for that !

I am another one who does not enjoy the pool deck. It is always crowded, plus I heartily dislike baking in the sun. My idea of a perfect sea day? Order room service for breakfast and eat on the ov balcony with my DH. Lay on my shaded balcony with a good book. Walk around the ship taking pictures, and perhaps meeting up with some Cruise Critic friends for awhile. Back to the seclusion of my own balcony with that good book. Walk to get a snack and grab a few pictures. Lie on the balcony with a good book. Meet my now good friends for dinner. Go to a show. Enjoy a cocktail while listening to a piano player. If I'm not too tired after that I will lie on my bed with a good book!:D Of course you know that it would not be a cruise for me at all without an ocean view balcony (or a good book).:cool:

The problem your sister experienced with the motion sickness pills and her eyes is totally harmless. My son's eyes do that in a certain type of light. The first time we noticed the eyes we were at the medical on our first cruise (for an ear infection). The doctor asked us "does your son's eyes normally have one large pupil and one small pupil?"', boy did we freak....we came home and called my sister-in-law (she has a doctorate in pediatric medicine), the first thing she asked us "did he take motion pills"'...she explained in some medical jargon that this can happen and it is harmless....the scary part was that he did not take any motion pills and he had to see a ophthalmologist and have C-scan and thank goodness he was alright..it is now 9 years later and it still happens in at dusk like light...

My husband feels the same way about cruises that you mentioned. Most of our vacations have been to resorts, and mainly all inclusive ones. He would much rather have that freedom and be removed from the crowds of the ship. The pools are so much bigger and he is on his own schedule, not the schedule of the ship when it comes to the ports.

However, that being said, we're going on our 3rd and 4th cruises next June.

Me on the other hand, I love to travel and while I love my land based vacations I love the variety that the cruises allow. I love to do the research on the different ports and be able to see so many different areas, using the ship as our mobile hotel. I'm not a huge fan of the sea days because the ships are so crowded in the areas we do enjoy - the pools and deck areas. But I do enjoy the peacefulness of the ocean, so for us a balcony is a must.

I'm looking forward to the rest of your review! I haven't been on the Oasis yet, so I'm really enjoying the pictures and all of your details!

Archived