1st Time Cruiser Oasis of the Seas Review

hbr777

Your pictures are wonderful! Thank you!

This is an example about different strokes. Every vacation I have been on in the past 20 years has been all inclusive resorts with the exception of Los Cabos. We tired of being in the same resort for a week, even though we ventured out , except for DR where it wasn;t safe. Decided on trying a cruise in 2010 and first one was carnival Pride. Loved it. Nothing to compare it to.

After watching Mighty Ships, we decided to go big with oasis last Sept, eastern itinerary. We were blown away! Did not find the ship crowded at all but that was because we traveled in a different direction than many others. We totally enjoyed the Solarium during sea days because we did not want to be around screaming children. We are both gran dmothers and I was a teacher so we don't dislike kids, just prefer a break from them. The heat did not bother us. Hey, it is the Caribbean and there is water to cool off in. Enjoyed the tranquil atmosphere, quiet music, and solarium bistro. If I had to sit at the other pools I would have been very unhappy especially around the smoking areas. I am an ex smoker so I do get it.

Liked the idea of visiting different ports as we looked at them as a sampler. places we liked we may return to on a land vacation. Places we didn;t like, thank heavens it would be a brief visit and liked the option of returning to the ship. Been to nassau way too many times, been to St martin at an all inclusive and would return in a heartbeat and never been to St ThomS. would return in a minute and may well investigate a land vacation there.

We liked Oasis so much that we are booked in the same cabin for Sept 15, western itinerary and am more excited than the first time. Been to jamaica and Haiti so the ports are not of real interest to me. It is all about the ship this time because we missed a lot of the activities because there is so much going on

Like i said, different strokes!

We liked Oasis so much that we are booked in the same cabin for Sept 15, western itinerary and am more excited than the first time. Been to jamaica and Haiti so the ports are not of real interest to me.

We did Western itinerary on Oasis in June, and Cozumel was great.

Of all the islands, I found that Cozumel has the most things to do, just about something for everyone.

Was at Labadee just last Tuesday and had a great time. It is one of my favorite stops. The vendors don't bother me in the least as I just ignore them and keep walking.

Just tell the vendors you're Jamaican... that REALLY confuses them! :D

On Oasis, I could not believe how many open seats there actually were. First time I have ever experienced a choice of where I want to sit near.

Thanks for your comments! I agree - but shade - shade was really on on the pool deck. On the upper decks, I did feel a bit seasick at times. Even int he solarium.

I am another one who does not enjoy the pool deck. It is always crowded, plus I heartily dislike baking in the sun. My idea of a perfect sea day? Order room service for breakfast and eat on the ov balcony with my DH. Lay on my shaded balcony with a good book. Walk around the ship taking pictures, and perhaps meeting up with some Cruise Critic friends for awhile. Back to the seclusion of my own balcony with that good book. Walk to get a snack and grab a few pictures. Lie on the balcony with a good book. Meet my now good friends for dinner. Go to a show. Enjoy a cocktail while listening to a piano player. If I'm not too tired after that I will lie on my bed with a good book!:D Of course you know that it would not be a cruise for me at all without an ocean view balcony (or a good book).:cool:

I am so glad to know I am not a freak in my dislike of the pool deck. And a good book? I hear you! I am a librarian :)

My husband feels the same way about cruises that you mentioned. Most of our vacations have been to resorts, and mainly all inclusive ones. He would much rather have that freedom and be removed from the crowds of the ship. The pools are so much bigger and he is on his own schedule, not the schedule of the ship when it comes to the ports.

However, that being said, we're going on our 3rd and 4th cruises next June.

Me on the other hand, I love to travel and while I love my land based vacations I love the variety that the cruises allow. I love to do the research on the different ports and be able to see so many different areas, using the ship as our mobile hotel. I'm not a huge fan of the sea days because the ships are so crowded in the areas we do enjoy - the pools and deck areas. But I do enjoy the peacefulness of the ocean, so for us a balcony is a must.

I'm looking forward to the rest of your review! I haven't been on the Oasis yet, so I'm really enjoying the pictures and all of your details!

I agree with you - I love waking up in a new place and using the ship as transport. So did my husband until he took the cruise :(

Your pictures are wonderful! Thank you!

This is an example about different strokes. Every vacation I have been on in the past 20 years has been all inclusive resorts with the exception of Los Cabos. We tired of being in the same resort for a week, even though we ventured out , except for DR where it wasn;t safe. Decided on trying a cruise in 2010 and first one was carnival Pride. Loved it. Nothing to compare it to.

After watching Mighty Ships, we decided to go big with oasis last Sept, eastern itinerary. We were blown away! Did not find the ship crowded at all but that was because we traveled in a different direction than many others. We totally enjoyed the Solarium during sea days because we did not want to be around screaming children. We are both gran dmothers and I was a teacher so we don't dislike kids, just prefer a break from them. The heat did not bother us. Hey, it is the Caribbean and there is water to cool off in. Enjoyed the tranquil atmosphere, quiet music, and solarium bistro. If I had to sit at the other pools I would have been very unhappy especially around the smoking areas. I am an ex smoker so I do get it.

Liked the idea of visiting different ports as we looked at them as a sampler. places we liked we may return to on a land vacation. Places we didn;t like, thank heavens it would be a brief visit and liked the option of returning to the ship. Been to nassau way too many times, been to St martin at an all inclusive and would return in a heartbeat and never been to St ThomS. would return in a minute and may well investigate a land vacation there.

We liked Oasis so much that we are booked in the same cabin for Sept 15, western itinerary and am more excited than the first time. Been to jamaica and Haiti so the ports are not of real interest to me. It is all about the ship this time because we missed a lot of the activities because there is so much going on

Like i said, different strokes!

I watched Mighty Ships too - and that is what got me hooked on taking the Oasis. I was very interested in the ports, and the ship. I ended up happy with Jamaica and Coz, but not Labadee. Thanks for your comments!

We did Western itinerary on Oasis in June, and Cozumel was great.

Of all the islands, I found that Cozumel has the most things to do, just about something for everyone.

I agree 100%. Coz is amazing!

I had been to Jamaica a couple of times - like 30 years ago. We were clueless about what to do but I knew I didn't 1) want to spend a fortune on an RCL excursion; 2) stay on the ship. So, we ended up booking transport for $20 per person through Jaital round trip from Falmouth to Montego Bay. 30 minutes after we docked, we found the Jaital driver. The four of us along with another couple from Oasis (who had booked separately) went to Mo Bay. It is around a 20 minute ride, very easy. We were dropped at Doctor's Cave Beach and agreed upon a pick up time and place (4 pm, in front of Margaritaville). Remember: stay on ship time and not Jamaica time!

It is $6 per person entrance to Doctor's Cave Beach, and $6 for an umbrella and $6 for a chair (a wooden/canvas deck chair). In hindsight, we didn't really need the umbrellas because there are shaded areas in the back portion of the beach. Clean bathrooms, showers, a deck area for food/drink, and beach service.

I am a jaded, nit picky beach person. This was one of the most beautiful beaches in terms of the water - that I have EVER seen.

a99613f3.jpg

0abb762e.jpg

We hung out in the crystal clear water for about 3 hours until we got hungry. I wasn't feeling great - the land was rocking a rolling so we walked down the street for a Burger King snack. Doctor's Cave Beach will give you a stamp for entry. We decided we had had enough beach, so we headed down to Margaritaville - about a 5 minutes walk from Doctor's Cave.

e8853077.jpg

Margaritaville is a bit pricey, but it was a fun way to spend a couple of hours eating and swimming. They have a water slide on the top deck and it shoots you out to the bay below.

631173bf.jpg

bcb9d1eb.jpg

The slide is FAST. A little scary. And I think that is whey they do enforce the minimum height rule:

f3489220.jpg

Falmouth port is very clean and very RCL World - the same jewelry stores, etc.. that you find in their ports. They are building a Margaritaville - right now there is just a t-shirt shop.

I think our "Jamaica Day" was well worth it, and was easy to plan. We were back in port by 5:00 pm.

aa9b5ed7.jpg

Back on the ship: it is really cool, how these video screens help you navigate this behemoth of a boat.

3f3c7a23.jpg

See how it is all in the green? That means that occupancy is low. Unfortunately, every morning for breakfast in the Windjammer, it was jammed. They play an announcement over and over advising you to enjoy the Windjammer and then LEAVE. See this photo?

f3c48647.jpg

The people standing (except for the waiter) are hovering over people's tables to snag them. So, breakfast was a series of announcements to hurry up and GO, and people waiting for your table. Three mornings we asked strangers to share a table. We met a nice family from Colombia that way.

I'd suggest going elsewhere for breakfast.

I am so glad to know I am not a freak in my dislike of the pool deck. And a good book? I hear you! I am a librarian :)
You are in a great profession. A good book is the way I can escape the world. I just wish I had more escape time!:cool:

Frankly I love to cruise. I also find cruising a great way to see many more places than if I were to do only land vacations. The key to enjoying a cruise is to find how you prefer to spend your time and don't let what other people like to do be your guide. Frankly, I don't see the big draw of the pool deck. I would prefer to sit on a (shaded) beach any day, but I know that many people love the pool deck. I occasionally find a shady spot there to spend a few minutes and people watch, but can never tolerate being there long.

We have never cruised the mega ships that are out today. We are excited to join good friends on the Allure in April. But we know what to expect as experienced cruisers. However, my favorite ships so far are the Radiance Class - beautiful and much more intimate. Perhaps the Allure will change my mind. But with your motion sickness issues it just may not be the best vacation choice for you.:( For me the motion is part of what I love about cruising, but I was raised with boats and was born with sea legs.

I can't wait to see if the teen survived (the wrath of Mom). I would have cheerfully strangled my teen if she had done that! I went looking for my 26 yo DD once on the Carnival Spirit at 3 AM. Boy, was I ticked!

Oh, it wasn't MY teen! Its was a 15 year old who went "missing" and they had to wake up the entire ship at 4 am - twice - to locate him. Can you say "House Arrest?"

You are in a great profession. A good book is the way I can escape the world. I just wish I had more escape time!:cool:

Frankly I love to cruise. I also find cruising a great way to see many more places than if I were to do only land vacations. The key to enjoying a cruise is to find how you prefer to spend your time and don't let what other people like to do be your guide. Frankly, I don't see the big draw of the pool deck. I would prefer to sit on a (shaded) beach any day, but I know that many people love the pool deck. I occasionally find a shady spot there to spend a few minutes and people watch, but can never tolerate being there long.

We have never cruised the mega ships that are out today. We are excited to join good friends on the Allure in April. But we know what to expect as experienced cruisers. However, my favorite ships so far are the Radiance Class - beautiful and much more intimate. Perhaps the Allure will change my mind. But with your motion sickness issues it just may not be the best vacation choice for you.:( For me the motion is part of what I love about cruising, but I was raised with boats and was born with sea legs.

I think a smaller ship would suit me better, except for the vertigo and seasickness aspect. Maybe I need to go on a Seabourne cruise where the median age is 95. I bet those are quiet and peaceful :)

Oh, it wasn't MY teen! Its was a 15 year old who went "missing" and they had to wake up the entire ship at 4 am - twice - to locate him. Can you say "House Arrest?"

Oooh... we read about this. Someone else posted that story. Love to hear your experience.

Archived