Bringing Wine on Board?

BayCalif-Ariz R Us

They do cover it in their Passage contract, stating that you may bring on board wine, not liquor, but pay a $15 corkage fee.

I do not recall if the original question was a "May I" or a "Can I".

Joe

With Princess, the corkage is only paid if you bring the bottle to a restaurant. No corkage fee if you consume it in your cabin.

Might be true if you do indeed get it on board, and then take it to the dining room, but the Passage contract states otherwise. And on previous trips, I have declared my wine, and paid the corkage fee at a table set up and manned by Princess personnel directly after going through the baggage scanners and metal detector.

I am sure if I did not voluntarily declare the wine to them, that it may have been able to just be carried to my room.

However, there were people in the line ahead of me, who were sent to the table after the "champagne" was found during the x-ray.... The couple refused to pay the corkage fee, and were told they could pick up their bottle at the end of the cruise when they disembarked.

It is apparently the luck of the draw....and if it was completely OK, there would be no need for hiding or wine bladders. My most recent experience, to which I speak, was on an Alaskan cruise or the Grand Princess.

I am not judging anyone, as I believe a good game of "find it if you can" is enjoyable to both play and to watch.

Might be true if you do indeed get it on board, and then take it to the dining room, but the Passage contract states otherwise. And on previous trips, I have declared my wine, and paid the corkage fee at a table set up and manned by Princess personnel directly after going through the baggage scanners and metal detector.

I am sure if I did not voluntarily declare the wine to them, that it may have been able to just be carried to my room.

However, there were people in the line ahead of me, who were sent to the table after the "champagne" was found during the x-ray.... The couple refused to pay the corkage fee, and were told they could pick up their bottle at the end of the cruise when they disembarked.

It is apparently the luck of the draw....and if it was completely OK, there would be no need for hiding or wine bladders. My most recent experience, to which I speak, was on an Alaskan cruise or the Grand Princess.

I am not judging anyone, as I believe a good game of "find it if you can" is enjoyable to both play and to watch.

The above information is NOT correct for Princess. You do not pay corkage if you consume your wine in your cabin. We brought on three bottles in Seattle in our carry on with no problem. I have never seen a table as described above and we have completed thirteen Princess cruises.

Where is this so-called table? We are on a Princess ship 1/3 of a year and I've yet to see a "table." Nobody ever asks you to declare anything, nor does anybody ever collect a corkage fee. The OP is not talking about Princess.

Hey Pia,

Let's put up a table on the Ruby New Year's and SEE if we can pay for our cruises, maybe throw in some gambling money! :D:D:D

Are you sure this was on Princess? There are many of us who frequently sail Princess and NEVER have had anyone asking for a corkage fee at the gangway.

That I mixed up the cruises, but My wife validated my memory of it and also said the Grand on a Alaskan cruise. Was the only time I saw it, and saw it with my own eyes. That is probably why the elderly couple in front of us raised a stir, because they had never had a problem before either, and only had a single bottle of champagne with them..they were indeed told to pick it up at the end of the cruise. Heard it with my own ears.

That I mixed up the cruises, but My wife validated my memory of it and also said the Grand on a Alaskan cruise. Was the only time I saw it, and saw it with my own eyes. That is probably why the elderly couple in front of us raised a stir, because they had never had a problem before either, and only had a single bottle of champagne with them..they were indeed told to pick it up at the end of the cruise. Heard it with my own ears.

OK. Then you got caught up in some kind of snafu that nobody else knows exits. I have boarded the Grand lots of times. I have boarded ships in Alaska lots of times. And I carry on wine all the time. I've been stopped and or questioned; never. :confused:

OK. Then you got caught up in some kind of snafu that nobody else knows exits. I have boarded the Grand lots of times. I have boarded ships in Alaska lots of times. And I carry on wine all the time. I've been stopped and or questioned; never. :confused:
When was the Grand last in Alaska? They must be remembering incorrectly. We have not sailed as much as you but we have sailed the Grand and we have sailed to Alaska from Vancouver and Seattle and brought on wine with no problem. Also in Ft. Lauderdale, San Pedro, Buenos Aires and Santiago with no "Wine Cops"

i've always brought a couple bottles of wine in my checked luggage no matter the cruise line, and I've never had a problem. I've also restocked at some ports and brought it back in the bag that the particular store provided. I've always put the bag on the conveyor belt, along with my camera stuff, and the crew manning the x-ray machine have never stopped me.

i've always brought a couple bottles of wine in my checked luggage no matter the cruise line, and I've never had a problem. I've also restocked at some ports and brought it back in the bag that the particular store provided. I've always put the bag on the conveyor belt, along with my camera stuff, and the crew manning the x-ray machine have never stopped me.

They've never stopped you re: wine, simply because they don't.

IECal: I didn't even know the Grand went to Alaska. :confused: At least I don't think they did before this year.

IECal: I didn't even know the Grand went to Alaska. :confused: At least I don't think they did before this year.

Could this have been RCCL Grandeur of the Seas??? just a thought that they are not correct on the line or correct name of ship they were on??? I have never seen a table or been questioned when bringing wine on Princess. They are the most liberal, as far as i know, line with their alcohol policy.

Could this have been RCCL Grandeur of the Seas??? just a thought that they are not correct on the line or correct name of ship they were on??? I have never seen a table or been questioned when bringing wine on Princess. They are the most liberal, as far as i know, line with their alcohol policy.

No clue. But it's definitely not Princess.

The only half hearted enforcement I've ever seen is when returning from the ports where they only ask people to check their liquor purchases and even then it's not fully enforced. The signs are there only to encourage people to do so and I'm sure many people like myself just walk right past the check-in table.

I only started sailing on Princess in 2004 and the Grand hasn't been in Alaska during that time as she has Summered in Europe.- I think that the first time she will sail in the Pacific, much less Alaska, is when she rounds Cape Horn next February.

Obviously I was mistaken about the ship, however here is the "official" policy from Princess on the matter:

As provided in the Passage Contract, passengers agree not to bring alcoholic beverages of any kind onboard for consumption, except one bottle of wine or champagne per adult of drinking age (no larger than 750 ml), per voyage.* Princess Cruises reserves the right to remove any alcoholic beverage in excess of the above stated policy thresholds from both passenger suitcases and hand-luggage. Alcohol will be stored for safe-keeping during the course of the voyage and will be delivered to the passenger's stateroom on the final day of the cruise.

Consumption of personal wine or champagne is limited to your stateroom. A $15.00 per bottle corkage fee (which is subject to change without notice) will be applied to your shipboard account for any personal wine or champagne consumed in any public area of the ship. Any wines or champagnes supplied from the ship's stock to passengers would not be subject to a corkage fee.

Alcoholic beverages that are purchased duty free from the ship's gift shop, or at ports of call, will be collected for safekeeping and delivered to the passenger's stateroom on the last day of the cruise. A member of the ship's staff will be at the gangway to assist passengers with the storage of their shoreside alcoholic purchases while our Boutiques staff will assist passengers with shipboard alcoholic purchases.

*Princess Cruises is not responsible for any alcoholic beverages confiscated by shoreside security staff. Such items are not eligible for monetary refund or replacement.

Obviously I was mistaken about the ship, however here is the "official" policy from Princess on the matter:

As provided in the Passage Contract, passengers agree not to bring alcoholic beverages of any kind onboard for consumption, except one bottle of wine or champagne per adult of drinking age (no larger than 750 ml), per voyage.* Princess Cruises reserves the right to remove any alcoholic beverage in excess of the above stated policy thresholds from both passenger suitcases and hand-luggage. Alcohol will be stored for safe-keeping during the course of the voyage and will be delivered to the passenger's stateroom on the final day of the cruise.

Consumption of personal wine or champagne is limited to your stateroom. A $15.00 per bottle corkage fee (which is subject to change without notice) will be applied to your shipboard account for any personal wine or champagne consumed in any public area of the ship. Any wines or champagnes supplied from the ship's stock to passengers would not be subject to a corkage fee.

Alcoholic beverages that are purchased duty free from the ship's gift shop, or at ports of call, will be collected for safekeeping and delivered to the passenger's stateroom on the last day of the cruise. A member of the ship's staff will be at the gangway to assist passengers with the storage of their shoreside alcoholic purchases while our Boutiques staff will assist passengers with shipboard alcoholic purchases.

*Princess Cruises is not responsible for any alcoholic beverages confiscated by shoreside security staff. Such items are not eligible for monetary refund or replacement.

I believe you are quoting from the Q&A Booklet. The reference it makes to the Passage Contract is made up. The Passage Contract does not specify any limit.

No alcohol may be purchased or consumed by any Passengers under the age of 21. No Passenger under the age of 21 shall be permitted to engage in any gaming activities on board the ship. No Passenger under the age of 18 shall be permitted to purchase cigarettes or tobacco products. Passengers agree not to bring alcoholic beverages of any kind (except wine and champagne) on board for consumption. You must surrender alcoholic beverages that are purchased duty free from the ship’s gift shop, or at ports of call, to Carrier, which will be delivered to Your stateroom on the last day of the voyage. A corkage fee of $15.00 U.S.D. per bottle (which is subject to change without notice) will be applied to wine and champagne brought aboard by You and consumed in the ship’s restaurants.

Archived