Bringing Wine on Board?

BayCalif-Ariz R Us

My main issue with the policy is the "one size fits all" approach. One bottle of wine per passenger for a one night, a 3 day coastal, a 7 day, a 15 day, etc. It's pretty hard to just "pick up another bottle of wine at the next port" as suggested by some folks when you have multiple sea days.

I sent an email to Princess over the weekend and received a call at home today (which was answered by my answering machine). She basically said that yes, Princess updated the contract and it is up to the individual ship to decide if they enforce the contract and confiscate the alcohol.

This is actually very interesting (and likely, carefully worded). If it is up to the individual ship, then the third-party security team used at the port will probably not be doing anything different than they are now. It is hard to imagine the Ruby telling the security company to search all bags and confiscate alcohol, and then, the very next day, have the Caribbean tell the security team not to bother. The more likely scenario is that enforcement would take place, if at all, at ports of call where all security is handled by ship personnel, and people do not re-board with bags and bags of luggage. It is a pretty easy task to run shore-side purchases through a scanner and pull out glass bottles. But performing searches at the port of embarkation on an ad hoc basis seems unwieldy. Time will tell.

I was on a Princess cruise 2 years ago, and I think I remember that the contract said you could only bring on 1 bottle of wine per person at embarkation. Isn't this is what people are saying is in the new contract? How is it different from before? (I'll be on the Island in November).

This is actually very interesting (and likely, carefully worded). If it is up to the individual ship, then the third-party security team used at the port will probably not be doing anything different than they are now. It is hard to imagine the Ruby telling the security company to search all bags and confiscate alcohol, and then, the very next day, have the Caribbean tell the security team not to bother. The more likely scenario is that enforcement would take place, if at all, at ports of call where all security is handled by ship personnel, and people do not re-board with bags and bags of luggage. It is a pretty easy task to run shore-side purchases through a scanner and pull out glass bottles. But performing searches at the port of embarkation on an ad hoc basis seems unwieldy. Time will tell.

Though other lines do confiscate liquor. The third party security team is used to doing this for other lines..... We will wait and see.

I was on a Princess cruise 2 years ago, and I think I remember that the contract said you could only bring on 1 bottle of wine per person at embarkation. Isn't this is what people are saying is in the new contract? How is it different from before? (I'll be on the Island in November).

The Cruise Answer Book had the limit of one in it. The old contract did not mention any limit.

If they do change or better enforce the policy, I'm sure it will have nothing to do with the multitude of threads about "sneaking wine onboard", "how I beat the system", etc. I'm sure that Princes never reads these threads.....:rolleyes:

Bob

If they do change or better enforce the policy, I'm sure it will have nothing to do with the multitude of threads about "sneaking wine onboard", "how I beat the system", etc. I'm sure that Princes never reads these threads.....:rolleyes:

Bob

Well if they do decide to enforce a strict policy people will defitnely begin to smuggle alcohol (not so much wine) on board where in the past it wasn't necessary to hide. I've got a few good ideas on how to go about beating the system but I don't think I'd post them here for Princess to read. Let them go to the trouble of catching me (if they can) before I'd throw in the towel.

You dont need to discuss smuggling on this forum, go over to the rccl boards, there is always a heated debate going on over there

Pp

It's not a discussion on how to smuggle or if it's proper to do so but just a statement to say that people will smuggle if forced into it. I'm sure Princess is well aware of that fact and probably willing to have to devote the extra manpower for checking bags, purses, etc.

It's not a discussion on how to smuggle or if it's proper to do so but just a statement to say that people will smuggle if forced into it. I'm sure Princess is well aware of that fact and probably willing to have to devote the extra manpower for checking bags, purses, etc.

i know, my point was all the tips for smuggling are over on the RCCL boards, if the rule is enforced, smuggling will start

My main issue with the policy is the "one size fits all" approach. One bottle of wine per passenger for a one night, a 3 day coastal, a 7 day, a 15 day, etc. It's pretty hard to just "pick up another bottle of wine at the next port" as suggested by some folks when you have multiple sea days.

I agree with your statement of “one size fits all”. As I am solo cruiser, one bottle of wine for less than 7 days is doable for me. I think people are talking about Med cruises. But only having one bottle of wine for an 18 transatlantic cruise from Europe would be a problem. I usually purchase wine for dining room and then have one in my cabin. I purchase and replenish as needed going into a port for excursion. As for a lot of sea days I usually purchase an extra. If it is unopened the wine comes home with me.

Off subject I feel the same way about the coffee card. Why would you buy a coffee card for short cruise at $31? Princess needs to think these changes through. No I am not about to play hide and seek at my age. I chose Princess as my cruise line. Now because of their Policy changes, I am going to have to rethink this decision. Gees, one more cruise I am Elite.

i've always brought a couple bottles of wine in my checked luggage no matter the cruise line, and I've never had a problem. I've also restocked at some ports and brought it back in the bag that the particular store provided. I've always put the bag on the conveyor belt, along with my camera stuff, and the crew manning the x-ray machine have never stopped me.

Me neither.

There have been several threads recently concerning Princess’ new wine policies. Some of the discussion concerns hard liquor and how to smuggle it on board. Other posters state that since they don’t drink wine it doesn’t bother them. As a wine lover (wine geek, wine nut, whatever) it does concern me. My question is how many wine lovers are there out there and how will the new policy affect your future bookings on Princess. If we can make enough of an impact maybe Princess will change or modify their new policy.

The wine available onboard runs from fair to good. However, most all of these wines are readily available in our local stores. We have been going to Napa and Sonoma since 1969. In the last several years we have also visited wineries in Paso Robles and the Sierra Foothills. Our cellar runs from 800 to 1000 bottle, mostly from small wineries and the wines from lots of 100 to 400 cases. We feel that they are special wines and like to enjoy them in special places. On board cruise ships is one of these special places. On past cruises we were able to bring wine onboard to have with our dinners. On a Med. Cruise last year we purchased wine at many of the Greek and Italian ports and were allowed to bring them onboard.

This new policy will affect which cruise line we book in the future. How many other cruisers will it affect?

It's a change in the contract language with no reports of it being enforced yet so no changes in my future cruise plans. RCCL doesn't allow any sort of drinks to be brought onboard so Princess still is better. Their wine policy is just one of the things I consider & Princess still provides the best cruise for the price.

Booze has always been banned & that enforcement has not been consistent having experienced veteran cruisers with a duffel bag of large bottles bragging about it while waiting for embarkation & he had no problems.

I hope the contract about the wine isn't enforced & they give security discretion to decide if it's excessive. It's good to let Princess know our thoughts & hope they listen to us.

I'm a wine lover. I usually take on a couple of bottles upon embarkation and then resupply along the way. We usually look for excursions that include a visit to a local winery, and if not we just find a store. When we've ported in Gibralter, for example, there's a nice supermarket near the port and we stock up there as we head back to the ship.

I'm not too worried about the new policy unless they get anal about enforcing it like Royal Caribbean (which is about the only policy Royal is rigid about enforcing)

We pick Princess over Royal Caribbean nowadays because of Princess' more restrictive smoking policy (we can actually use our balcony without being downwind from a heavy smoker) and the liberal wine policy.

The funny thing is, with Princess' wine policy, my bar tab is higher on Pricess when compared to Royal Caribbean. On Princess, I take some wine on-board with me and then I order some with dinner some evenings. With Royal, they are so restrictive that it pi$$ed me off and I rebelled by going dry when I cruised with them.:mad: Go figure.

Why would you buy a coffee card for short cruise at $31? Princess needs to think these changes through.

The $31 is to cover 15 specialty coffees. If you do not use all the punches on a cruise, you can use them on a future cruise.

The unlimited fresh-brewed coffee, which only applies to the voyage you purchased the card on, is a bonus.

We are also wine lovers. In fact, not to brag, but we live in the Napa Valley so it's hard not to love wine when you live here. When we cruise we always bring Napa Valley wine that is not on the ship wine list. Usually they come from one of many small wineries that we have here. In fact today we rode our bikes to our favorite winery and bought a bottle for an up-comming cruise.

Bob

My understanding, from someone who knows a Maitre D very well, that Princess reads the threads and everyday, they have meetings regarding things that are said

If they start enforcing the policy, it will effect us. Not sure it will drive us to another line (although I did just cancel Princess to book Oceania this week) but we will probably take more land trips rather than cruises to wine regions as all the main stream lines seem to have this childish policy.

Should they start enforcing the rules, I'm curious what will happen with the Princess excursions on the west coast and in other parts of the world that include visits to wineries. We did the "Wine Country" (Los Angeles to Vancouver) cruise this past May and there were trips to wineries in Santa Barbara, San Francisco, and Seattle - folks came back with multiple bottles at each stop.

Should they start enforcing the rules, I'm curious what will happen with the Princess excursions on the west coast and in other parts of the world that include visits to wineries. We did the "Wine Country" (Los Angeles to Vancouver) cruise this past May and there were trips to wineries in Santa Barbara, San Francisco, and Seattle - folks came back with multiple bottles at each stop.

We were on the verge of booking that for next September and then they changed the wording of the contract. We're holding out to see what happens and will likely just end up in Napa for 4 or 5 days instead.

They could start storing them to return at the end of the cruise.

Archived