Bringing Wine on Board?

BayCalif-Ariz R Us

Under Alcohol Policy.

It is not a wonder they do not enforce it, if even they can not keep it straight

They do enforce it. If they find what you've hidden. Nothing about what you quoted is inaccurate. Wine and champagne are not considered alcohol and they are allowed.

Princess hardly enforces their wine & liquor policy with any great enthusiasm. They don't really care how much wine anyone carries on board with them and unless you actually surrender any alcohol (other than wine) to them voluntarily you can walk right past the scanners to your room with as much as you can discreetly carry in you bags. If you bring wine to the DR table in the bottle you'll be charged the $15 corkage fee many times but if you take it in by the glass there is no charge. The same applies to taking a glass of anything from your room to any of the lounges.

Sigh. Here we go again.

Section 12(b) I believe it is requires all passengers to conform to the policies of the cruise line. The policy of the cruise line (as printed in the booklet) is one bottle per person at this time. Therefore unless the contract specifically uses the word unlimited (it does not) they can restrict quantity but not ban wine or champagne under the current terms.

They are generally not choosing to do so and I see no evidence that they will. But should they choose to start enforcement tomorrow, they are well within the terms of the current contract and can limit wine brought on board without recourse to the passenger.

I believe you are quoting from the Q&A Booklet. The reference it makes to the Passage Contract is made up. The Passage Contract does not specify any limit.

Sigh. Here we go again.

Section 12(b) I believe it is requires all passengers to conform to the policies of the cruise line. The policy of the cruise line (as printed in the booklet) is one bottle per person at this time. Therefore unless the contract specifically uses the word unlimited (it does not) they can restrict quantity but not ban wine or champagne under the current terms.

They are generally not choosing to do so and I see no evidence that they will. But should they choose to start enforcement tomorrow, they are well within the terms of the current contract and can limit wine brought on board without recourse to the passenger.

With all the actions the cruise line is now beginning, to maximize profits (food cutbacks, losing Elite/Platinum internet service, entertainment, etc.) it wouldn't surprise me to see limitations on wine as well as enforcement of banning alcohol as another way of increasing their bottom line.

With all the actions the cruise line is now beginning, to maximize profits (food cutbacks, losing Elite/Platinum internet service, entertainment, etc.) it wouldn't surprise me to see limitations on wine as well as enforcement of banning alcohol as another way of increasing their bottom line.

Where do you get this from? The rumor about Elite and Platinum losing internet has been repeatedly denied.

Princess had admitted on shareholder calls they are looking at cost reductions. What the form of those is, who knows until they are announced for sure.

Where do you get this from? The rumor about Elite and Platinum losing internet has been repeatedly denied.

Princess hardly enforces their wine & liquor policy with any great enthusiasm. They don't really care how much wine anyone carries on board with them and unless you actually surrender any alcohol (other than wine) to them voluntarily you can walk right past the scanners to your room with as much as you can discreetly carry in you bags. If you bring wine to the DR table in the bottle you'll be charged the $15 corkage fee many times but if you take it in by the glass there is no charge. The same applies to taking a glass of anything from your room to any of the lounges.

Not always true about hard liquor. At our Grenada stop during our last cruise on the Emerald we had two bottles or local rum involuntarily taken for safekeeping until the end of the voyage (which was fine with us as it was purchased for home use anyway). It was discretely carried on in a bag but detected in the scanner.

Princess had admitted on shareholder calls they are looking at cost reductions. What the form of those is, who knows until they are announced for sure.

Generally, when speaking on shareholder calls, firms are very careful to select their words and use "accountant-speak". If they truly said "cost reductions", that doesn't mean a revenue increase. It generally means reductions in operational expenses such as food, staff, maintenance :eek:, service, fuel, etc.

In the very competitive market where Princess sails, stock analysts would rather see cost reductions as they tend to affect the incoming revenue stream less than price increases which are much more visible to customers who would be driven to other cruise lines.

Not always true about hard liquor. At our Grenada stop during our last cruise on the Emerald we had two bottles or local rum involuntarily taken for safekeeping until the end of the voyage (which was fine with us as it was purchased for home use anyway). It was discretely carried on in a bag but detected in the scanner.

While it may be true that when entering the ship when it's less crowded that they are a little more vigilant about collecting liquor but if you come back in the afternoon when it's very crowded they just don't have the time to bother with each individual. Liquor collection is basically left up to voluntary surrendering and not much more. In all our years of returning to any of the ships, we've never had them hold ours- even if it wasn't busy at the time. I was told by the guy at the collection desk, "what I don't see I don't care about".

The last I read this morning about losing Internet service for Elite/Platinum was confirmation that they were considering elimination it.

"Told myself I wasn't going to get involved in this one, but here I am! Spoke with Princess rep 10 minutes ago, asking her if she could validate or refute this rumor. She said "Oh yes, I am well aware of this one and we are all upset because we didn't think it was true..." She proceeded to read from a bulletin they had received from headquarters regarding the change effective 2013. And YES, it is true! .(according to this bulletin she said she had)I asked if there was someone who would listen to those of us who are upset about the negative impact it will have on us. She said yes, and gave me this: Customer Relations, FAX# 661-284-4747; include your Captain's Circle # and how the loss of that specific amenity will impact future cruiseline choices for you(ie: if itineraries, etc were same, you would seriously consider another line for price, value over Princess?.if that is the case). Anyway, it hasn't happened yet, so maybe our numbers will have a little bit of impact before it does? Being the only cruiseline offering that amenity, it had alot of sway in decision-making. Thanx for listening to one more..."

The last I read this morning about losing Internet service for Elite/Platinum was confirmation that they were considering elimination it.

"Told myself I wasn't going to get involved in this one, but here I am! Spoke with Princess rep 10 minutes ago, asking her if she could validate or refute this rumor. She said "Oh yes, I am well aware of this one and we are all upset because we didn't think it was true..." She proceeded to read from a bulletin they had received from headquarters regarding the change effective 2013. And YES, it is true! .(according to this bulletin she said she had)I asked if there was someone who would listen to those of us who are upset about the negative impact it will have on us. She said yes, and gave me this: Customer Relations, FAX# 661-284-4747; include your Captain's Circle # and how the loss of that specific amenity will impact future cruiseline choices for you(ie: if itineraries, etc were same, you would seriously consider another line for price, value over Princess?.if that is the case). Anyway, it hasn't happened yet, so maybe our numbers will have a little bit of impact before it does? Being the only cruiseline offering that amenity, it had alot of sway in decision-making. Thanx for listening to one more..."

If this in fact is true, now would be the time for Princess to institute a higher level of amenity for the more traveled passengers. Is this self serving? You bet it is! Right now most of my free internet minutes goes directly back to Princess within the LIVE that I do from all my cruises. They know they need at least another level above Elite; one more or even two more. Princess passengers still need something to strive for. Loyalty $$$ was a nice thing to do, even though it's a little bit. But it's good because it's something extra.

Until rumor becomes fact, it will stay the way it is. Rumor.

Cugina, the thread about eliminating this benefit has posts from others who have called Princess today & been told it's only the suite internet benefit that has been eliminated & not our Captain's Circle benefit.

Cugina, the thread about eliminating this thread has posts from others who have called Princess today & been told it's only the suite internet benefit that has been eliminated & not our Captain's Circle benefit.

Gotcha Frank. Then again, what I said is still good. We do need another level, they know we need another level, they talk about discussion of another level and still..................same old level. OK. Off my soapbox and back to packing.

Gotcha Frank. Then again, what I said is still good. We do need another level, they know we need another level, they talk about discussion of another level and still..................same old level. OK. Off my soapbox and back to packing.

I've always thought the same thing even though I'll never attain the days or cruises of others to reach such a level. :p

If this in fact is true, now would be the time for Princess to institute a higher level of amenity for the more traveled passengers. Is this self serving? You bet it is! Right now most of my free internet minutes goes directly back to Princess within the LIVE that I do from all my cruises. They know they need at least another level above Elite; one more or even two more. Princess passengers still need something to strive for. Loyalty $$$ was a nice thing to do, even though it's a little bit. But it's good because it's something extra.

I realize that most of the talk is just passing unsubstantiated rumors about but the one post does seem to indicate that something is brewing. Remember the talk about the smoking ban in Jan. There were lots of rumors being passed from the crew about the ban although it was instated for the crew first before the passengers. As far as another level with tiered level for internet. That would a way to assign internet to their most loyal pass. It should have been that way from the start when they did away with unlimited minutes and not the the same for both Platinum & Elite.

As per the internet issue, put in a call to my contacts, spoke to one of them today.

Best as they can tell (not really their department) reducing or eliminating elite minutes IS on the table, but no decision has been made.

This person's personal theory (and I stress the word THEORY) is they will eventually move to a tiered discounts for elite (Gold gets 10 percent off prevailing rates, 30 for next level, 50 for next...) Again, to be clear this is this single person's THEORY and not to be considered any suggestion of potential policy. This person is working on shop talk and water cooler gossip, their department does not handle this..

As per the internet issue, put in a call to my contacts, spoke to one of them today.

Best as they can tell (not really their department) reducing or eliminating elite minutes IS on the table, but no decision has been made.

This person's personal theory (and I stress the word THEORY) is they will eventually move to a tiered discounts for elite (Gold gets 10 percent off prevailing rates, 30 for next level, 50 for next...) Again, to be clear this is this single person's THEORY and not to be considered any suggestion of potential policy. This person is working on shop talk and water cooler gossip, their department does not handle this..

That is the way it should have been from the introduction of internet service. I suppose they were just being very generous but I do hope it still remains the way it is for the Elite instead of only 50% discount.

Maybe someone wants to start a petition on line here regarding this and everyone can sign it and get the thread sent over to them. Are there any lawyers here on the thread or someone really good at writing-who can start a new thread re: internet minutes

Maybe someone wants to start a petition on line here regarding this and everyone can sign it and get the thread sent over to them. Are there any lawyers here on the thread or someone really good at writing-who can start a new thread re: internet minutes

Just read the last poster. Guess we have to wait until there is a firm decision

Is this the new passenger contract, if so when was it added, because its not the same as the one i agreed to in my cruise personalizer.

Passengers agree not to bring alcoholic beverages of any kind on board for consumption except one bottle of wine or champagne per person of drinking age (no larger than 750 ml) per voyage only in his/her carry-on luggage. A corkage fee of $15.00 U.S.D. per bottle (which is subject to change without notice) will be applied to wine and champagne brought aboard by You and consumed in the ship’s public areas. Any wine(s) or champagne(s) supplied by the Carrier to You as a gift are not subject to a corkage fee. At embarkation, all luggage will be scanned for suspected alcohol in excess of the one bottle policy as provided herein. Your luggage will undergo a secondary inspection by a security team operating under CCTV (closed circuit surveillance) or in the event Your luggage is locked, You will be notified and are required to attend the secondary inspection where any alcohol found in violation of the one bottle policy will be removed and discarded. Carrier shall not be responsible for any loss, cost, disappointment or damage of any kind as a result of any alcoholic beverages removed in violation of the one bottle policy. You agree to surrender alcoholic beverages that are purchased duty free from the ship’s gift shop, or at ports of call, to Carrier, which will be delivered to Your stateroom on the last night of the voyage.

Archived