Bringing Wine on Board?

BayCalif-Ariz R Us

Today (Oct. 19th) I received a voice mail from a Princess' representative concerning bring wine on board. He stated that the policy has been one bottle per passanger for the 9 years he has worked for Princess. I had mentioned that we had brought wine onboard on our Med. cruise last year. He said that was an error by ther immigration people.

Has anyone brought wine onboard lately?

Last month in the Med--on Ocean Princess, we brought as many as 4 bottles on at the various ports.

I would really like to get this settled before we depart on Nov. 26th. I don't want to show up at the pier with a case of wine and not be allowed to take it onboard.

Not one post has been made indicating any stricker enforcement than in the past.

So I am not sure what it would take for you to see this settled.

So I am not sure what it would take for you to see this settled.

When they changed the smoking policy they let everyone know about it in advance and on what date it was going to be inforced. There are still notices about the change. The new Passage Contract was posted on their web site with no notification about the changes. Why would they make changes and not inform anyone about them?

I would really like to get this settled before we depart on Nov. 26th. I don't want to show up at the pier with a case of wine and not be allowed to take it onboard. One of my (adult) sons will be driving us there. If he has to take it back home he may drink it before we return!! :D

Just scroll up a bit. On October 14 spingal posted that she just took a full case onboard without any problems.

Reporting in... Just boarded the Coral with a case of wine that was given to porters at pier. It arrived safely!

From what I've read, it appears there won't be a change until 2013, if at all. I don't think anyone cruising in 2012 needs to be too concerned about it. It would probably be to our benefit to stop discussing it though. ;)

So you're saying that it should be keep a dark secret from the newbies so they don't have the opertunity to enjoy the benefit as well? :rolleyes:

All the discussions on CC about how much wine people take aboard won't have any effect on Princess's decision one way or the other. They'll do what is best for business like it or not.

I made some calls. In short, the reason the contract was amended was because too many people (say on cruise critic) thought the prior language was a license to bring unlimited amounts on board despite other elements of the contract. Basically, they were tired of hearing 'but the contract doesn't SAY a limit'. So they adapted the contract to the policy that has been in effect for years (enforcement is a different matter).

Princess' stated policy in the cruise answer book (which is a policy document) since at least 2007 is that wine or champagne is limited to one bottle per passenger. They have chosen not to enforce it at this point, and there are no indications they will do so in the short term.

Nothing has changed as far as quantity on board for now. Princess has always had the option of limiting wine, now its just more clear.

One thing I did note, and I cannot recall prior language. The corkage fee now lists as applicable in all public areas. Did it say public areas before or just dining areas?

BTW, as far as contract changes go, legally, the contract in effect at the date you make final payment is binding. HOWEVER, there's that lovely language now in section 11 about obeying all orders of the ship, Carrier and Captain which lets them pretty much do anything anyway.

Commercial contracts are NOT written with the customer in mind.

We did the Ruby Med cruise in August and brought two bottles on at at almost every port, one time we were asked "what is in the bag" and we showed them the wine and they said OK enjoy. The scanners are looking for weapons, not wine.

I made some calls. In short, the reason the contract was amended was because too many people (say on cruise critic) thought the prior language was a license to bring unlimited amounts on board despite other elements of the contract. Basically, they were tired of hearing 'but the contract doesn't SAY a limit'. So they adapted the contract to the policy that has been in effect for years (enforcement is a different matter).

Princess' stated policy in the cruise answer book (which is a policy document) since at least 2007 is that wine or champagne is limited to one bottle per passenger. They have chosen not to enforce it at this point, and there are no indications they will do so in the short term. I can only go back to 2009 but the one bottle per person was there then.

Nothing has changed as far as quantity on board for now. Princess has always had the option of limiting wine, now its just more clear.

One thing I did note, and I cannot recall prior language. The corkage fee now lists as applicable in all public areas. Did it say public areas before or just dining areas? That was added in the latest update and the Passage Contract now agrees with other documentation.

BTW, as far as contract changes go, legally, the contract in effect at the date you make final payment is binding. HOWEVER, there's that lovely language now in section 11 about obeying all orders of the ship, Carrier and Captain which lets them pretty much do anything anyway.

Commercial contracts are NOT written with the customer in mind.

From the Cruise Answer Book downloaded on 7/24/2009:

“You may bring wine or champagne onboard to celebrate special occasions (limit: one bottle per person). If consumed in the dining rooms or alternative restaurants, each bottle will be subject to a $15 corkage fee.”

From the Cruise Answer Book downloaded on 1/20/2011:

“You are permitted to bring onboard one bottle of wine or champagne per person. Consumption of your wine or champagne is limited to your stateroom, traditional dining rooms and alternative restaurants, but not permitted in any public lounge. A $15.00 per bottle corkage fee will be applied to your shipboard account for any personal wine or champagne consumed in a dining room or restaurant. We prefer that you bring bottles no larger than 750ml, however, magnum are acceptable. Wine in a box is discouraged.”

From the Cruise Answer Book downloaded on 7/16/2012:

“As provided in the Passenger Contract, passengers agree not to bring alcoholic beverages of any kind on board for consumption, except one bottle of wine or champagne per person (no larger than 750ml), per voyage.”

"Consumption of personal wine or champagne is limited to your stateroom. A $15.00 per bottle corkage fee (which is subject to change without notice) will be applied to your shipboard account for any personal wine or champagne consumed in any public area of the ship."

From the Passage Contract date 09/2012:

“Passengers agree not to bring alcoholic beverages of any kind on board for consumption except one bottle of wine or champagne per person of drinking age (no larger than 750ml) per voyage only in his/her carry-on luggage. A corkage fee of $15.00 U.S.D. per bottle (which is subject to change without notice) will be applied to wine or champagne brought aboard by You and consumed in the ship’s public areas."

“You may bring wine or champagne onboard to celebrate special occasions (limit: one bottle per person). If consumed in the dining rooms or alternative restaurants, each bottle will be subject to a $15 corkage fee.”

“You are permitted to bring onboard one bottle of wine or champagne per person. Consumption of your wine or champagne is limited to your stateroom, traditional dining rooms and alternative restaurants, but not permitted in any public lounge. A $15.00 per bottle corkage fee will be applied to your shipboard account for any personal wine or champagne consumed in a dining room or restaurant. We prefer that you bring bottles no larger than 750ml, however, magnum are acceptable. Wine in a box is discouraged.”

“As provided in the Passenger Contract, passengers agree not to bring alcoholic beverages of any kind on board for consumption, except one bottle of wine or champagne per person (no larger than 750ml), per voyage.”

"Consumption of personal wine or champagne is limited to your stateroom. A $15.00 per bottle corkage fee (which is subject to change without notice) will be applied to your shipboard account for any personal wine or champagne consumed in any public area of the ship."

“Passengers agree not to bring alcoholic beverages of any kind on board for consumption except one bottle of wine or champagne per person of drinking age (no larger than 750ml) per voyage only in his/her carry-on luggage. A corkage fee of $15.00 U.S.D. per bottle (which is subject to change without notice) will be applied to wine or champagne brought aboard by You and consumed in the ship’s public areas."

you put it in a nice neat package, makinhg it easier to figure out

Thanks. I had been looking for my 2007/2008 answer book, but I think what you posted is sufficient to confirm the written policy has been in place for some time..

This makes a great deal of sense to me.

It seems that the one bottle of wine or champagne per person on embarkation only is only enforced on the Princess ships based in Australia. i.e. Dawn Princess and Sun Princess. (and maybe Sea Princess now she is down there for good)

It was definitely strictly enforced on Dawn for the Circumnavigation of Australia September 2011! We were on that cruise.

It seems that the one bottle of wine or champagne per person on embarkation only is only enforced on the Princess ships based in Australia. i.e. Dawn Princess and Sun Princess. (and maybe Sea Princess now she is down there for good)

It was definitely strictly enforced on Dawn for the Circumnavigation of Australia September 2011! We were on that cruise.

As others from down under have recently posted, that was only on the Dawn and lasted for only a few cruises.

Well the contract says in your "carry on Luggage" ..Doesn't mention your checked luggage now does it? Guess if you check it in at the porter area it is not limited???

Do i need a lawyer to read this..

Since we did a 33 day Med/TA cruise we bought wine in every port and were never question .. We are doing a 50 day next year on Ocean.. and was hoping i could get some wines in each port to sample them.. HMM anyone been in Australia.. What are the local Princess people doing with this issue lately?

Mar 2013 is our cruise from Syndey to Rome..was hoping to buy a case or two of Aussie wines to start us off???

Irrelevant. No specified limit never means unlimited. They can and have always been able to limit amounts under the clause that obligates you to follow all carrier policies.

In short, if they ever choose to limit it, they can without recourse. Period.

Well the contract says in your "carry on Luggage" ..Doesn't mention your checked luggage now does it? Guess if you check it in at the porter area it is not limited???

Since we did a 33 day Med/TA cruise we bought wine in every port and were never question .. We are doing a 50 day next year on Ocean.. and was hoping i could get some wines in each port to sample them.. HMM anyone been in Australia.. What are the local Princess people doing with this issue lately?

Mar 2013 is our cruise from Syndey to Rome..was hoping to buy a case or two of Aussie wines to start us off???

I agree with Loonbeam. Let's just hush-up and be reasonable with what we do. In San Pedro 3 weeks ago we brought two 1.5L bottles of wine on at embarkation with a 12pk of beer in our carry on without question. Plus 1 bottle of wine and a 6pk of beer at each port except Honolulu because last year they took tried to take it away.

From what I've read on CC the folks in Oz have been very strict about bringing wine on board.

From what I've read on CC the folks in Oz have been very strict about bringing wine on board.

With due respect, your information is totally out of date and you must not have read the many posts saying this situation was temporary, and on one ship only:).

As IECalCruiser posted, it was only on the Dawn Princess and only for a few months that the 'one bottle per pax only at embarkation' was enforced.

I was on the Dawn Princess from April last year and no limits were enforced. I have also cruised on the Sun, Dawn and Sea on other occasions in the last couple of years (the last cruise ending yesterday) and when I asked I was told "one bottle per passenger at each port", but this was not enforced.:)

With due respect, your information is totally out of date and you must not have read the many posts saying this situation was temporary, and on one ship only:).

As IECalCruiser posted, it was only on the Dawn Princess and only for a few months that the 'one bottle per pax only at embarkation' was enforced.

I was on the Dawn Princess from April last year and no limits were enforced. I have also cruised on the Sun, Dawn and Sea on other occasions in the last couple of years (the last cruise ending yesterday) and when I asked I was told "one bottle per passenger at each port", but this was not enforced.:)

D'Oh! My bad. Thanks for setting me straight.

and put 2 bota boxes and one white zif big box in it.

We carried on two smaller bottles and two larger bottles.

No issues....

There were 8 of us, but no issues with the carry on going to one cabin out of Brooklyn.

Bernadette

Archived