Aboard the Cloud

duct tape

Left London with the Tower all lit up, under the Bridge with the Olympic Rings shining. Thrilling If I must say so myself! Good crowd aboard, 170 Venetians, only 43 first timers. St Malo yesterday for oysters and French pastry. Rockin' and rollin' on our way to Bordeaux. It is 63 degrees today and the Captain (Rutigliano) just announced that it will be 99 in Bordeaux tomorrow! Hope my wine isn't too warm!

Hi Duct Tape, would like you to do a fun experiment for us if you have a chance pls. On the "wines on board" thread below, one poster experienced no wine list availability when he was on board the Whisper recently (either comp list or Connisseur list). I wrote the SS reservation concierge, Fran Harris, who wrote back saying SS wine lists are available on board SS ships. Would you please ask to see

them when you are in The Restaurant next time you have a chance. Thanks in advance.

Hi Duct Tape, would like you to do a fun experiment for us if you have a chance pls. On the "wines on board" thread below, one poster experienced no wine list availability when he was on board the Whisper recently (either comp list or Connisseur list). I wrote the SS reservation concierge, Fran Harris, who wrote back saying SS wine lists are available on board SS ships. Would you please ask to see

them when you are in The Restaurant next time you have a chance. Thanks in advance.

Col. Wes, great suggestion!

I will try as well on the Whisper in a few weeks. I have seen the list; on one of our recent cruises a passenger had it and shared it with us. I didn't have the gumption to ask for it myself (I know, hard to believe).

Left London with the Tower all lit up, under the Bridge with the Olympic Rings shining. Thrilling If I must say so myself! Good crowd aboard, 170 Venetians, only 43 first timers. St Malo yesterday for oysters and French pastry. Rockin' and rollin' on our way to Bordeaux. It is 63 degrees today and the Captain (Rutigliano) just announced that it will be 99 in Bordeaux tomorrow! Hope my wine isn't too warm!

Super great report!! Loved seeing that lighted, historic bridge during the Olympics TV coverage from London. Appreciate the hard work and reporting by duct tape. Glad you're taking good care of the Silver Cloud. Are people still lucky to be teamed with you for the trivia contests? That was my secret when sailing in Norway two years ago.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 78,591 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Bon, bon voyage, Duct Tape! Sailing down the Thames under Tower Bridge has to be one of the great memories of being on the Cloud and Wind. And quite unique, too, since larger ships have to dock farther away at Dover or Southampton. Have a great trip. I look forward to hearing all about it.

Wes, my hubby has already been ordering from the special list. We have not asked to see a list of house wines since they know what we like anyway. Willl inquire. patlncc, Let's give it a chance to unfold! There may be people with prior committments. I must say we are not cleaning up with our current team! 2 days in Bordeaux, lunch yesterday at Chateau Lynch-Bages. WOW! Lots of tours and wine tastings on offer. It is very hot (99 degrees) so we just went up past the park to a lovely Brasserie for lunch today...foie gras, duck breast, and kidney salad. Some very nice white Bordeaux. It doesn't get much better. Have no idea how we are going to eat this evening! Bilbao tomorrow.

Wes, my hubby has already been ordering from the special list. We have not asked to see a list of house wines since they know what we like anyway. Willl inquire. patlncc, Let's give it a chance to unfold! There may be people with prior committments. I must say we are not cleaning up with our current team! 2 days in Bordeaux, lunch yesterday at Chateau Lynch-Bages. WOW! Lots of tours and wine tastings on offer. It is very hot (99 degrees) so we just went up past the park to a lovely Brasserie for lunch today...foie gras, duck breast, and kidney salad. Some very nice white Bordeaux. It doesn't get much better. Have no idea how we are going to eat this evening! Bilbao tomorrow.

Live from ...euh Bilbao. What a wonderfull place this is, great weather, great people, great food...

We will see the Cloud arrive tomorrow live from our balcony, just a few yards in front of us!!!

Bording tomorrow, Looking foreward to see everyone again....

Greetings

Met Tonyballoons and his lovely wife in the pool today. Introduced them to brimary. Very short stay in Bilbao, about 5 hours. SS ran excursions to the the Guggenheim and/or Guernica. The weather is much improved since Bordeaux. I spent the day in the pool. @sea tomorrow. Pool Grill for us tonight. Should be nice weather.

Duct Tape,

We appreciate your update on the Cloud. Even though we will be on in September before the much anticpated refit, we are still very much looking forward to being back on her again.

We are looking forward to more info as your voyage unfolds.

Thanks, Daddyo

Very calm seas in the Bay of Biscay last night. Overcast today @sea as we go down the west coast of Spain and into Portuguese waters. Mexican buffet on deck, so-so, Very pleased with the Terrazza food but I am waiting for the DR to impress me. The Chef is French and new to me. Yes, Col Wes, we are reading the wine list but there is not one available for table wines. The menus now do not include the "wines of the day". I think it is a better idea. Some folks thought that that was all that was available to them and missed the opportunity to try other wines, more to their preference. The sommeliers now tell you what they suggest but state that they would be happy to get something else if you prefer. Venetian Night tonight, lots of those, about 170some. Opera for dessert!

Appreciate the continued fun updates from duct tape. Looking forward to lots of details for what you do and see in Lisbon. That's one of the few major Europe places where we have not visited, yet. Look forward to doing that historic town and the country in the future.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 78,910 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

I can tell you why "the main DR has failed to impress" our correspondent: I was on the Cloud for two weeks a week or so ago: in the final week the food was +++ ordinary.

In the end, without once looking at the menu, I simply said: I'll have the Soup and the Fish, and, then, didn't usually touch the Fish.

And the desserts were pathetic.

And the all-smiling maitre'd Fred, who is a truly charming fellow, will, most of the time, match you up with total drop-kicks if you let him. Choose your own dinner companions.

But, the free wines are superb: in this regard, be guided by the very knowledgable deputy-chief Sommelier Denis! He really is the one winner in what you call the "DR"!

alipus, I have found the plates unattractive, most of the food overcooked and the one time I had dessert, a tart, it was rubbery. Otherwise, all is well. I can also afford to miss a meal or two! Today in Lisbon, we took a trip to Obidos, a medieval walled villages west of Lisbon. We were there a few years ago and it is still charmingly beautiful. There are cobbled streets (whole village is pedestrian), flowers everywhere and local crafts that even appear genuine at times. Then lunch at a winery out in the country for the local speciality of poached pears with a honey, port wine reduction. It's just fine since the BBQ is tonight and I can skip it except for the local sardines in the DR. Weather continues to be beautiful, high 70s, low humidity. We are overnight and sail about 12N tomorrow. The shuttle bus goes to the heart of town and you can pick up trams there to go just about anywhere. The trip out to Belem is especially scenic and the building in Belem are traditional Manueline architecture, Portuguese style. Later.

Oooh wee!

So, it's as bad as I said it was: because, duct tape, when you say: "Alipus, I have found the plates unattractive, most of the food overcooked and the one time I had dessert, a tart, it was rubbery. Otherwise, all is well.", then things have got to be pretty crook!

Correct me if you think I'm wrong, but, in my experience, usually, it all flows down from the Captain....

Perhaps the home office buyers under orders from whatever to see how much crap they can feed their customers before they decide to go elsewhere. For a SS loyalist like the OP to make such comments regarding food is noteworthy. I know that does not explain overcooking and poor presentation, but it begins with giving staff the proper tools.

We have spent over 100 days on various SS ships during the first half of 2012. The next 200 days have been split between five companies and SS is not on the list.

Archived