San Diego --- what to do ???

HamburgAvonLady

Probably a dumb ?? as I am sure there is tons of stuff to do and see in San Diego --- but this is our first visit --- spending 2 days prior to our cruise --- we are staying at the Best Western Yacht Harbor Hotel --- don't want to rent a car --- taxis are fine but would like to check what is close by to the cruise pier. How is the bus system ? Thanks.

If you read down the board, you will see lots of answers to your questions. Near the Port- the Midway, and a number of other vessels to tour. The port is close to the airport, so a taxi will work, or public transit.

San Diego has an excellent trolly system. Also famous Balboa Park and the San Diego Zoo.

Well, the Best Western Yacht Harbor is not that close to the pier. The pier and your hotel are in opposite directions from the airport.

You can still do all the activities mentioned, but you'll need taxis or a bus to downtown.

As CAA says, your hotel is not near the pier or the trolley - it's several miles away. From your hotel, you could walk to the Liberty Station complex, which has interesting shops and restaurants, but to get just about anywhere else you'll need cabs or buses with possible transfers. San Diego is not a bad city to drive in at all except possible at peak rush hours - I'd reconsider the rental car!

When we travel we rarely rent cars, but San Diego is a classic California Metropolitan area and you really NEED a car to get around. It pains me to say so, since I am almost always the one touting public transit when other are thinking they need a car...

The Italian area and the gastown area are fun to walk around once you have got there.

Balboa park is beautiful with great exhibits.

Old town is a good place to get a feel for early California history and living.

The coast is beautiful to drive up.

Point Loma is a nice stop for lunch and Point Loma Seafood is a fun tasty local place for fresh seafood and sandwiches, with a patio for sitting and looking out over the marinas.

AJ's in gastown is good enough food and love the jazz.

• 2 weeks later...
Probably a dumb ?? as I am sure there is tons of stuff to do and see in San Diego --- but this is our first visit --- spending 2 days prior to our cruise --- we are staying at the Best Western Yacht Harbor Hotel --- don't want to rent a car --- taxis are fine but would like to check what is close by to the cruise pier. How is the bus system ? Thanks.

The Best Western yacht harbor is a poor choice if you don't have a car. I would suggest getting a hotel downtown/gas lamp area or rent a car. If you don't drive to the beaches in Del Mar, Torrey Pines, La Jolla, Coronado you haven't seen San Diego.

Jim/San Diego

Next time we are in San Diego, hubby wants to rent a car and drive to Legoland (yes, he is a kid at heart).

Last time we were there we went to Sea World, the original Zoo (rest of the family went to the wildlife park there). We stayed at a hotel right by the pier and walked and walked and walked. There is so much to do and see within walking distance. Fisherman's Village, there's a outdoor 3 or 4 level mall (they had entertainment the day we were there), and the wonderful waterfront. We had a wonderful meal at Anthony's on the waterfront. Also on the waterfront area, you can rent a pedi-cab (bicycle with small cart attached for 2 riders). I think we paid $10 to go all along the waterfront.

I agree. See if you can change to a different hotel. One in Old Town, Downtown, or Mission Valley close to the San Diego Trolley (light rail) would be best. A car makes things easier. The Trolley does not go to Balboa Park or the beaches, but does go to both the Old Town and Fashion Valley transportation hubs where you can get buses. San Diego is very spread out though, and you will spend a LOT of time on buses to see much.

Things to do:

San Diego Zoo (in Balboa Park)

San Diego Zoo Safari Park (35 miles north)

Balboa Park (gardens and museums)

Birch Aquarium at Scripps Institute of Oceanography (and UCSD)

USS Midway Museum

San Diego Maritime Museum

San Diego Mission (the first of the California Missions)

Cabrillo National Monument (the best view of the city and bay)

Tour the Hotel del Coronado

Visit Petco Park (either see a ball game or take the tour, or both)

Hike, bike or roller blade around Mission Bay Park

Take a Segway tour of the Gaslamp Quarter, Balboa Park, Coronado or La Jolla

Brewery tour (we are famous for our microbreweries)

Drive the beautiful 59 Mile Scenic Drive

Eat and shop in Old Town State Park

Eat and shop in the Gaslamp Quarter

Stroll along the pathway from the Cove to the Children's Pool in La Jolla, then go up the hill to shop in trendy shops

Some people find that they do well by taking this commercial tour/jitney. You can purchase a two-day ticket. it travels a fixed route, and you can get on/off as you please: http://www.trolleytours.com/san-diego/

It picks up at a couple hotels, and right in front of the cruise ship terminal in addition.

• 1 month later...

Given where you are staying and some potential mobility issues, here's a shot in the dark for one evening:

Humphreys Concert by the Bay (just Google it)

Humphreys is a hotel with an outdoor concert area, good restaurant, (probably the best Sunday brunch in San Diego) and some fun concert entertainment that won't break the bank. Of course I have no idea when you will be there or if there will be anyone you would enjoy, but thought I'd pass it along.

For days... Balboa Park and the museums and exhibits are best. And of course, the world famous San Diego Zoo.

Archived