Celebrity Century - 1st time X cruiser

Shaden1982

Karaoke is usually offered on most sailings but it is not every night.

You would need to check your "Celebrity Today" and see what

is on the schedule.

Thank you for link to your pix! She looks like she's in good shape and the cabin looks roomy enough for the 2 of us!

Did you eat in the buffet at all? Did you have a $3.00 surcharge for the dinner that you know of?

Thanks again! :)

We had breakfast on the balcony every morning bar one. It was delivered by the Butler who laid the table out there complete with tablecloth.

We only used the buffet for lunch and found it very good IMHO. We ordered Room Service lunch one day (complete with tablecloth) and that was excellent. No $3 surcharges for dinner as far as I know.

We had dinner in the MDR every evening. Our table companions were so lovely, we couldn't bring ourselves to eat anywhere else :D

I don't know...I can check it out in October when we go....

Would appreciate if you'd check to see how many days it was offered.

We wouldn't know what to with ourselves with six 'At Sea' days and no karaoke to entertain us....

We aren't into the 'Las Vegas' style shows , so we're not sure what we'd do in the evenings...

I sailed twice on Century among my 7 X sailings (8th on Infinity in 3 weeks) also 2 on Zenith, 1 on Horizon and 2 on Summit, and I've never had a complaint with the food on any of the ships. I sailed on Adventure of the Seas once and Azamara Journey one time. With this sailing coming up on Infinity I will reach Elite status and will feel free and willingly will sail on any of the Royal Caribbean lines. I've had no complaints with any of them.

We are looking at the Hawaii trip out of San Diego on the Century, do you know if they offer Karaoke nightly?

We sailed a 7-day Alaska run from August 12th-19th. Out of the 7 days, Karaoke was offered 4 evenings at 10pm in Michael's Club. On the second night, there was a show in the theatre that was on at the same time and hardly anyone came to sing. Yet, it was still offered and available until midnight.

• 2 weeks later...
... Dinner buffet was attended primarily by people who wanted something more casual, missed their original seating, or did not want to get dressed up for formal night. There was a $3 cover charge for eating dinner here..not certan if this is still the case.

I have cruised on six different mass market lines and have never seen a surcharge for a dinner buffet. Does Celebrity still charge, albeit only $3, for the dinner buffet? It's not the money but the principle.

Edited to add....since reading several more posts after I asked this question, many people have said there is no longer a surcharge to eat dinner in the buffet. Nice to know.

I have cruised on six different mass market lines and have never seen a surcharge for a dinner buffet. Does Celebrity still charge, albeit only $3, for the dinner buffet? It's not the money but the principle.

There have never been any charges for the dinner buffet.

In the past a portion of the buffet area was sectioned off during the dinner hours. The tables were set with sparkling white linens. You were seated by a head waiter and provided with a menu. Waiters in training served the multi course meals. This was a more casual dining option with a more limited menu than the MDR. It was referred to as "casual dining" and for this service a $2.00 per passenger extra gratuity was suggested (I don't remember a $3.00 suggested gratuity). While the casual dining option was available there was also a limited dinner buffet. This casual dining option has been eliminated and I haven't seen it since the spring of 2010.

In the past a portion of the buffet area was sectioned off during the dinner hours. The tables were set with sparkling white linens. You were seated by a head waiter and provided with a menu. Waiters in training served the multi course meals. This was a more casual dining option with a more limited menu than the MDR. It was referred to as "casual dining" and for this service a $2.00 per passenger extra gratuity was suggested (I don't remember a $3.00 suggested gratuity). While the casual dining option was available there was also a limited dinner buffet. This casual dining option has been eliminated and I haven't seen it since the spring of 2010.

We miss the sit down service. It was very nice. :)

We miss the sit down service. It was very nice. :)

That casual dining in the buffet with the $2.00 went out with all the newer ships and their many and different venues for Dining that charged a lot $$$ more.

Kinda wish they would bring it back on the Century..I think it would fit in well on that ship again and they could even raise the "Recommended" fee a bit if they wanted. Very nice for that spur of the moment gathering after a shore excursion or meeting with other cruisers that you have met with different dining arrangements that yourself.

We were on the same cruise to Hawaii as KelliePoodle (Hi there again, Janet!). We're not big Lido-Buffet folks on any cruise line, but we found three outstanding stations at Century's OceanView Cafe:

-- the omlette/to-order egg station at breakfast;

-- the stir-fry station for lunch, and

-- the wonderful sushi bar, which opened at 5-ish, and got us through most days until our late-seating dinner time. :cool:

Edited to add....since reading several more posts after I asked this question, many people have said there is no longer a surcharge to eat dinner in the buffet. Nice to know.

I've always hated the phrase "beating a dead horse," but as I respond again to coffeebean I am starting to have a better appreciation of that phrase.

To be as specific as possible, THERE WAS NEVER EVER WAS IN THE PAST NOR IS THERE CURRENTLY A SURCHARGE TO EAT DINNER IN THE BUFFET! The casual dining option was a special area near the the buffet in which passengers were seated at tables with sparkling white table cloths, handed a menu and served multi-courses by waiters in training. Since a number of the "waiters in training" were in training for several years, the service that we experienced in the casual dining section of the buffet was very polished and professional.

Hi Rich, I will be on the Century Oct 20th to Hawaii (from FL, also!). Do you know if they have internet connections in the cabins I am a writer and hate to haul my HEAVY laptop all over looking for a "hot spot". Thanks for any info....

SunnyFL247

To be as specific as possible, THERE WAS NEVER EVER WAS IN THE PAST NOR IS THERE CURRENTLY A SURCHARGE TO EAT DINNER IN THE BUFFET!.

OK :) it was in the Buffet area..Happy now :D

and it was Casual Dinning

and it does not happen anymore

and there was a suggested fee cause staff didn't get pooled tips.

Hi Rich, I will be on the Century Oct 20th to Hawaii (from FL, also!). Do you know if they have internet connections in the cabins I am a writer and hate to haul my HEAVY laptop all over looking for a "hot spot". Thanks for any info....

SunnyFL247

I'm pretty sure that no cabins other than maybe a suite or a few that are close to a hotspot had wifi. Ours sure didn't. You will have to check for the closest when onboard.

I'm pretty sure that no cabins other than maybe a suite or a few that are close to a hotspot had wifi. Ours sure didn't. You will have to check for the closest when onboard.

Thanks, I'm sure hoping my cabin has a wifi connection. Last time I moved out to the balcony and it worked... maybe that's where I'll have to work :).

Kinda wish they would bring it back on the Century..I think it would fit in well on that ship again and they could even raise the "Recommended" fee a bit if they wanted.

We agree and we would like to see it come back fleet wide. In years gone by we frequently took advantage of the casual dining area adjacent to the buffet. The service was great, the food was good and the ambiance was very pleasant.

It was the perfect for those of us who wanted something nicer than the buffet but didn't want a multicourse dinner in the MDR or in one of the specialty restaurants. We found it to be well worth the small surcharge and would gladly pay a surcharge again if they brought it back. Don't think that there is much chance of that happening though.

:o:):o

Archived