Is No Smoking on the Balconies Coming?

Shake

My brother just booked a cruise on X. He's a smoker and has no idea that he won't be able to smoke on the balcony. Because they had to pay in full since it was final payment time, I didn't have the heart to tell him. I know this will be his last cruise on X after he boards and finds out. Our last cruise was on Princess when smoking on the balcony was allowed. We decided on RCCL even not knowing about Princess going that route. Good thing we learned here that they did. Princess kept sending us emails and we unsubscribed. They asked why and we told them why. When people learn of these new rules, then the lines may find out the full effect of it. RCCL can do whatever they want, we'll cruise accordingly, but you guys seem to be a glutton for punishment and then act like poor victims.

BTW all balconies are sold out on our cruise so there are plenty of OV an IS for you guys.

If that is the case, then smokers who dismiss non-smokers with the "go cruise X if you don't like smoking" nugget are being more than a tad disingenuous, aren't they?

I wouldn't think so...smoking is not allowed on X, even if there are passengers who violate the policy, they would seem to have to be evasive to do so...no chain smokers. Besides, realistically speaking, having a policy against something does not mean that something isn't taking place.

FWIW, I have been on a few X cruises since their smoking policy took place. X is not totally non-smoking. They do still allow it in several areas, including part of one of the interior lounges. On all, there were almost always smokers in the designated areas.

People who choose to smoke have fewer and fewer venues in which to partake; a total ban on smoking wouldn't bring RCCL to its knees but there are specific tour groups who do 'rent' (for lack of a better term) RCCL ships for themed cruises for 7, 10 and 12 night cruises. If a total ban on smoking is ever put into place those groups will most definitely take their business to another line. Secondly, Europeans do not have the social hangups about smoking as American's do and a great deal of Europeans smoke; if RCCL ever banned smoking it would only extend to Alaskan and Caribbean cruises and not European cruises. The European market is too important to RCCL to force out smokers to another cruise line that does allow smoking.

Personally, I find excessive drinking and loud & obnoxious behavior to be far more offensive than smoking. Many a time I've left the pool or bar areas to escape this. Maybe I should start bitching about drinking on cruise ships and demand that RCCL do away with that.

Funny that you should ask. I was talking to Adam Goldstein this morning. He said a fleet wide smoking ban goes into effect tomorrow. Smoking will not be permitted anywhere, anytime on any RCI ship.

If only this were true. Please don't flame me, smokers.

We cruised one time on the Paradise which was Carnival. It was a totally non-smoking ship. Because so many people didn't like that, they switched it to smoking, like all the other ships. This was many years ago, when smoking was more readily accepted.

We cruised one time on the Paradise which was Carnival. It was a totally non-smoking ship. Because so many people didn't like that' date=' they switched it to smoking, like all the other ships. This was many years ago, when smoking was more readily accepted.[/quote']

That wasn't the reason it failed. It was more due to them trying to maintain a non smoking crew.

That wasn't the reason it failed. It was more due to them trying to maintain a non smoking crew.

I love the way some can just make statements and not back them up here. OK Aquahound, provide a link to prove your statement or I call you a BSer.

Oh boy..........it's on!!!:eek:

Add this to the list of smoking threads that went round and round and round.

It will happen when it happens.

Until then, smokers will keep smoking and some CCers will keep bi$%^&*# about smokers!!:rolleyes:

Hi I been cruising with carnival over 15 years paradise was my favorite ship when they band smoking on the paradise I went on her 2 moths after and I was surprise seeing the ship with less passenger I ask the captain why the ship is not full he said people stop booking the paradise because the band of smoking and that they where losing a lot on money so they decided to smoking again on the paradise and gues what its full again,I am non smoker but also think smokers has the right to sit on there balcony drink there coffee and smoke,cruise lines will never band smoking.

While we are at it, if they ban smoking how about banning drinking, it kills and I hate being around a bunch of stinky loud drunks.:D How about fatty foods? Obesity is a major problem in the USA lets just ban buffets and getting seconds at dinner. Where do you draw the line. And yes you being fat does effect me, it causes me to pay more for health insurance. Buy the way I smoke a pipe and do not like the smell of cigarette's.

You can drink and it doesn't effect my health. You can get fat and it doesn't effect my health.

If you smoke and blow the poison my way, it most certainly effects my health.

There's your difference!

i think that some of the people claiming that they are non-smokers but don't care if someone smokes next to them are not really non-smokers.

i don't know anyone that i associate with that is a non-smoker that wants to be near a smoker. the smoke stinks. it sticks to your hair, skin and clothes making them stink. it clouds up any mirror or window with brownish/yellowish gunk. and to top all of that off it is proven to be unhealthy and cause terminal illnesses.

what person in their right mind wants to be next to someone that is causing all of that?

You can drink and it doesn't effect my health. You can get fat and it doesn't effect my health.

There's your difference!

cosign.

the many strawman arguments from smokers are pathetic. if a smoker could smoke and it not effect me then they can have at it. but i will not tolerate carcinogenic material being blown my way because someone thinks they have a right to pollute the air.

smokers often label non smokers as inconsidertate and selfish. they can not be serious. Who gave any smoker the right to pollute the clean air that the majority of people want to breathe. and who in their right mind is still smoking in 2012 with all that is known about how tobacco in any form is bad for one's health. seriously.

There is a reason why we don't cruise on Princess anymore (which is a fantastic cruise line, btw). won't cruise X or Azumara(came close). My husband smokes. When smoking isn't allowed on the balconies anymore, we will either switch lines (try Carnival, I guess) or take land vacations. He may smoke 4 cigarettes a day out there - Am, before lunch, before dinner, and before bed.

I get tired of the self-rightous dribble by some people. I'd like to transport them back 20-30 years when all areas were smoking - malls, supermarkets, restaurants, etc. Then they would realize that when most of these smokers began to smoke, it was very acceptable. I was the odd one out who didn't smoke. Have a little empathy for people who smoked before it was considered harmful (and yes, some doctors told their patients to smoke to keep their weight down). You won't curl up and die if you get a wiff of smoke. Also something else to ponder, in Illinois $38 of every carton goes towards taxes. If he is ever able to quit (and he has tried and tried), guess who is going to have to make up for the loss of revenu - taxes will go up for everyone. The vast majority of the ship is smoke free.

When I read your post, the first thing I noticed was this. If smoking was banned on the Balcony, he would not cruise, but yet you said he only smokes four a day on the balcony? Historically, the argument has been used over and over again that the business will suffer if smoking is banned, and over and over again, it was proven that business picked up.

The next argument about taxes. Been around also, for a long time, but the reality is that the taxes cover many of the items that smokers cause such as higher medical cost for low income workers, clean up costs, numerous other cost such as the public service announcements that have greatly cut down on the number of smokers, plus enforcement programs. Since many smokers do not live as long, payroll taxes are lower. It's just a silly argument that smokers pay for so much, when mostly what they pay is for themselves.

In the state of Florida, smoking is banned in all establishments that have employees. It is also banned outside in public parks, private parks (like Disney), sporting events.

So as a non-smoker, I already pay taxes that cover the health costs of smokers. So if less taxes are collected at the point of sale, than overall, the cost of health care will be lowered in the long term, making my taxes a wash. Of course, I can't prove that, either, so the point is to cut out the silly arguements and stick to the facts.

Smoking is dangerous, and second hand smoke is also dangerous. The more people that stop, the more healthier poeple will exist. Business never goes down with smoking bans, but rather increases. Smokers that their rights are being taken away from them, can't use it as an argument, because the rights of the non-smokers are being violated when a smoker lights up next to them. So what to do - please the majority and make more money. That is now the new business practice.

There's your difference!

People that are drunk do in fact cause health problems in the form of things as big as car accidents, and as small as fist fights. And people being fat effects healthcare prices & taxes with all the health problems they have. As far as people blowing poison your way, you must live in a bubble with no smog. No one drives cars where you live? Nothing like that right? I bet you are exposed to worse then one person's bit of cigarette smoke that they probably don't blow in your face to begin with.

cosign.

the many strawman arguments from smokers are pathetic. if a smoker could smoke and it not effect me then they can have at it. but i will not tolerate carcinogenic material being blown my way because someone thinks they have a right to pollute the air.

smokers often label non smokers as inconsidertate and selfish. they can not be serious. Who gave any smoker the right to pollute the clean air that the majority of people want to breathe. and who in their right mind is still smoking in 2012 with all that is known about how tobacco in any form is bad for one's health. seriously.

What clean air are you breathing on a big old cruise ship??? Or maybe you live in the same bubble as other person where cars aren't driven? Because I know a little cigarette smoke pollutes the air a lot less then various modes of transportation & big industry like refineries.

I love the way some can just make statements and not back them up here. OK Aquahound, provide a link to prove your statement or I call you a BSer.

Not that I have to prove anything to you, especially after your snide remark, but I am a maritime investigator who works directly with, and occasionally for, the cruise lines. There are plenty of other posters here who can vouch for my background in these matters. If that isn't good enough for you, no offense, but I really don't care.

The info I was told about Paradise came directly from a former PR rep for CCL, and it was said in the company of other execs.

i'm just one guy but there are probably thousands like me regarding this issue.

I'm going on my first RCCL in December on Allure, cause I really have to see what everyone is raving about. I know I'm going to love Allure and have also booked Oasis for 2013, BUT I will tell you FOR SURE if the smoke is disgusting on my Allure balcony I will immediately cancel my Oasis cruise and stick solely with Celebrity or Princess in the future and or until this policy is changed.

I've been spoiled with the clean balcony air from Celebrity and Princess. It makes a difference to me. I'd be very surprised if this RCCL policy is not changed by January 2014 or sooner. Let's hope they continue to please. :cool:

Archived