Is No Smoking on the Balconies Coming?

Shake

As a former smoker, I do remember how pleasurable it was to sit out on the balcony while at sea or especially with that morning pot of coffee from room service and enjoy "puffing away". I would hate to take that away from people who would enjoy the same.

I did, however, have an awful experience on the Freedom a couple of years ago. It seemed like the man who had the stateroom next-door spent the entire cruise out on his balcony and smoked the most putrid smelling cigars I have ever smelled. Totally ruined my balcony experience for that cruise, for sure. So, I guess I can see both sides.:confused:

Ban smoking on a ocean view balcony room, will not happen for the foreseeable future! Its an open air area, who does it bother other than the ones that look for anything to complain about!! I don't understand why people don't just enjoy the vacation and allow others to do the same...

It bothers me because if someone is smoking on a balcony beside mine I can smell it and I am asthmatic and very sensitive to smoke. Unfortunately cigarette smoke isn't just something that can be ignored.

It is also a no-win situation. Either the smoker or the non-smoker has to give up the pleasant balcony time they paid for on the cruise. It seems they can't both simultaneously enjoy their balcony.

Just what we needed - another smoking thread. For the life of me, I cant see why people continue to come on the boards daily and complain about smoking. If its such a problem for everyone that complains, why don't you consider another line that doesn't allow smoking - there are many to choose from. Just like the non-smokers have choices, so do the smokers. I choose to cruise on a line where I can smoke on the balcony so I'm really tired of people complaining about how much balcony smokers ruined their vacation. If its such a sore spot for you, choose a line that doesn't allow it and stop complaining! I would never consider cruising with a line that does not allow smoking on their balconies....its a choice we all have. I just don't get why people continue to complain about how much of a problem it is for them when smokers are doing what they are allowed to do. Why don't you just pick another line that doesn't allow it....

Ban smoking on a ocean view balcony room, will not happen for the foreseeable future! Its an open air area, who does it bother other than the ones that look for anything to complain about!! I don't understand why people don't just enjoy the vacation and allow others to do the same...

You are so wrong! I have a friend who will never sail RCI again because on her last cruise she was next door to a smoker and could not use her balcony at all. I, myself, have experienced smoke blowing at me from another balcony on RCI. Why should those of us who pay extra for a balcony cabin have to forgo the pleasure of that balcony because we don't want to breathe toxic smoke?

I'm a cancer survivor and I have no problem with others wanting to smoke, but I most certainly do have problems when y'all insist on smoking where I have to breathe.

I've cruised Celebrity and I do like their smoking policy. If the itinerary is the same, and I want to book a balcony/veranda, I'll always choose a Celebrity ship over an RCI ship.

My next cruise on RCI is in an outside cabin. I wouldn't pay for a balcony knowing that the cruise is in Europe where there are still too many smokers.

I really understand both sides. I am a non-smoker with a very sensitive nose. I really don't think people are complaining about smoke just for the sake of complaining. Smoke really bothers me and the weird thing is that I grew up in a house where my Dad smoked. I have done 8 cruises with balconies and was really only bothered for one whole cruise and a few times here and there on a few others. Sure, I wish they would ban it but I will not leave Royal just to avoid it.

Just what we needed - another smoking thread. For the life of me, I cant see why people continue to come on the boards daily and complain about smoking. If its such a problem for everyone that complains, why don't you consider another line that doesn't allow smoking - there are many to choose from. Just like the non-smokers have choices, so do the smokers. I choose to cruise on a line where I can smoke on the balcony so I'm really tired of people complaining about how much balcony smokers ruined their vacation. If its such a sore spot for you, choose a line that doesn't allow it and stop complaining! I would never consider cruising with a line that does not allow smoking on their balconies....its a choice we all have. I just don't get why people continue to complain about how much of a problem it is for them when smokers are doing what they are allowed to do. Why don't you just pick another line that doesn't allow it....

I agree with You 100 percent

You are so wrong! I have a friend who will never sail RCI again because on her last cruise she was next door to a smoker and could not use her balcony at all. I, myself, have experienced smoke blowing at me from another balcony on RCI. Why should those of us who pay extra for a balcony cabin have to forgo the pleasure of that balcony because we don't want to breathe toxic smoke?

I'm a cancer survivor and I have no problem with others wanting to smoke, but I most certainly do have problems when y'all insist on smoking where I have to breathe.

I've cruised Celebrity and I do like their smoking policy. If the itinerary is the same, and I want to book a balcony/veranda, I'll always choose a Celebrity ship over an RCI ship.

My next cruise on RCI is in an outside cabin. I wouldn't pay for a balcony knowing that the cruise is in Europe where there are still too many smokers.

Here's the thing. I think too many of us non-smokers don't care where people smoke. I don't think RCI is having trouble filling ships so I don't see them rushing to change the policy.

You took the words right out of my mouth. I am a smoker and I do try to be neighborly. If the people in the cabin downwind of me are outside, I go somewhere else to smoke. RCCL allows smoking on the balconies. If you don't like that rule, cruise with another line. I cruise on Royal because they allow it.

We hope it is coming soon on RCI. I just hate it when our time on the balcony is ruined by a neighbor who smokes.

When we sail Carnival we take a spa cabin just because they prohibit smoking on the balcony in those categories. It is the only time we can be assured that we will have 100% use of the balcony and can leave the door open without our cabin filling with second hand smoke.

We hope it is coming soon on RCI. I just hate it when our time on the balcony is ruined by a neighbor who smokes.

When we sail Carnival we take a spa cabin just because they prohibit smoking on the balcony in those categories. It is the only time we can be assured that we will have 100% use of the balcony and can leave the door open without our cabin filling with second hand smoke.

You could be "assured that you will have 100% use of the balcony" if you choose a line that doesn't allow smoking on their balconies. If you continue to choose a line that does allow it - your trip will continue to be ruined (as you put it). The smokers are abiding by the rules - The choice is yours...

You took the words right out of my mouth. I am a smoker and I do try to be neighborly. If the people in the cabin downwind of me are outside, I go somewhere else to smoke. RCCL allows smoking on the balconies. If you don't like that rule, cruise with another line. I cruise on Royal because they allow it.

Bingo!!! It's not really about smoking. It's about courtesy. Its not really about what is allowed or not. It's about coexisting around other people. If you are a smoker and you hear the clinking of silverware next to you, hold off on that smoke for just a little while. Likewise, if I hear you on your balcony, I'll be courteous and keep my voice down, refrain from dragging furniture around and at night I'll kindly turn off the balcony light. See? With a little courtesy, we really can coexist. :);)

I just love it when people come on here ranting and raving about how a smoker on the next balcony ruined their cruise. If you are that sensitive to smoke, and you book a balcony cabin knowing that smoking is allowed, you only have yourself to blame. You made a decision that having a balcony on an RCI ship was so important to you that you were willing to risk being next to a smoker. Then when you are exposed to a few puffs of smoke you start to rant and rave about how inconsiderate everyone else is. Talk about a "me" mentality. How about taking some responsibility and refrain from knowingly putting yourself into that situation?

I am not a smoker..I have not smoked for 30 years,BUT I DON'T THINK IT IS FAIR FOR A SMALL LOUD SPEAKING GROUP OF PEOPLE TO TO DICTATE A POLICY FOR OTHERS.

There is no way that the smoke from other people's balcony, ON A MOVING SHIP, can BOTHER ANY ONE. As a past post said " just enjoy your cruise and let others enjoy theirs.

Neil

I am not a smoker..I have not smoked for 30 years,BUT I DON'T THINK IT IS FAIR FOR A SMALL LOUD SPEAKING GROUP OF PEOPLE TO TO DICTATE A POLICY FOR OTHERS.

There is no way that the smoke from other people's balcony, ON A MOVING SHIP, can BOTHER ANY ONE. As a past post said " just enjoy your cruise and let others enjoy theirs.

Neil

Amen!!! Lets all be happy to be on vacation!!!!

Personally, smoking doesn't bother me as long as it is just a little whiff. However, the hubby had throat cancer (and beat it) and is very sensitive to the "whiffs". He still has to breathe air! And if that air is full of smoke it very much does affect his pain in his throat.

I don't care if you smoke. In fact you can smoke all you want. But this conversation is the same as peeing in the swimming pool. Hey, we have to share that water!! And we have to share the breathable air.

I agree! No smoking on balconies is costing RC and they are losing bucks. I know folks who are not getting balconies because smoke travels to the next balcony....theirs!! If they can't open their balcony door...then why get a balcony? I do feel however, that the area's outside the Windjammer and some other area's should remain for smokers!

I have to admit that I moved from my oceanview balcony on the Allure to a Boardwalk balcony because I was concerned about the smoking issue.

Personally, smoking doesn't bother me as long as it is just a little whiff. However, the hubby had throat cancer (and beat it) and is very sensitive to the "whiffs". He still has to breathe air! And if that air is full of smoke it very much does affect his pain in his throat.

I don't care if you smoke. In fact you can smoke all you want. But this conversation is the same as peeing in the swimming pool. Hey, we have to share that water!! And we have to share the breathable air.

I understand where you are coming from, if others do not. I am an oral cancer survivor, myself. I no more want to inhale second hand smoke than I want to suck a tail pipe on an automobile, but there are smokers who believe that as long as their habit is permissible, they can do as they choose, and they are right.

That's why I sail with Celebrity when I want a veranda/balcony cabin.

I think it would be a wonderful solution for RCI to offer non smoking balconies on one side of the ship and smoking balconies on the other. This would make everyone happy. They already do this for one side of the pool deck.

As far as I'm concerned they can ban smoking on the balconies as long as they have a dedicated cigar lounge on the ship. I don't want to cause anybody any discomfort. I also don't want to listen to anyone complain about my cigar!

You won't curl up and die if you get a wiff of smoke.......

I actually might. I am allergic to tobacco smoke. I do everything in my power to avoid it otherwise I will become very sick.

It will be a glorious day if smoking is banned. For my next cruise I purposely chose the most forward balcony I could so that I could enjoy the balcony.

Neil

funny. i can smell the smoke from the car in front of me when i am driving. do you seriously think people cant smell smoke between a simple divider because the ship is moving? lol.... :smh:

Have you seen what comes out of the smoke stacks on the ships!! And sometimes if you have an AFT cabin, in comes right down on the balcony. Big, black sooty chunks!! RCCL should ban soot on their ships! It's not good to breathe and you should see what it does to their white bathrobes. I'm sure the soot is much worse than cigarette smoke to breathe.

BTW I am sympathetic to those who are bothered by the smell for medical reasons. I have had to leave the theater sometimes because I am bothered by heavy perfumes and aftershaves. I'm not out to ban the scents, but I understand.

Bingo!!! It's not really about smoking. It's about courtesy. Its not really about what is allowed or not. It's about coexisting around other people. If you are a smoker and you hear the clinking of silverware next to you, hold off on that smoke for just a little while. Likewise, if I hear you on your balcony, I'll be courteous and keep my voice down, refrain from dragging furniture around and at night I'll kindly turn off the balcony light. See? With a little courtesy, we really can coexist. :);)

like :)

There is no way that the smoke from other people's balcony, ON A MOVING SHIP, can BOTHER ANY ONE. Neil

I guess you've never heard of 'relative wind speed'?

Ever step out on the top deck of a ship and nearly been blown away, or step out and and find just a gentle breeze? That's 'relative wind speed' across the deck.

A lot depends on the direction and speed of the ship combined with the direction and speed of the wind. For example, if a ship is traveling at 12 knots and the true wind is coming from the stern at 10 knots, you have a 'relative wind speed' of just two knots. BUT if that same wind was coming from the bow you would have a 'relative wind speed' of 22 knots across the deck.

Ever hear of aircraft carriers turning 'into the wind' to launch aircraft? Its for the higher relative wind speed.

Also you can have dead spots on one side of a large ship (you often hear it referred to as the 'sail area') if the wind is coming from abeam of the ship from the opposite side.

You can have up drafts, down drafts, stagnant air flow in dead spots, and zero relative wind speed which would allow cigarette smoke to waft just about any where it wants to go.

I am an ex smoker; quit when I smoked 3 packs a day. Today I couldn't afford to smoke.

What I find interesting in this discussion is that you non-smokers want the smoker to refrain from smoking when you are on your balcony. You want to enjoy the balcony you paid for.

I don't see where you will voluntarily go inside your cabin so that the smoker may have a cigarette on the balcony he paid for. Courtesy works both ways and most of you non-smokers don't seem to see it that way.

Right now, I see the only solution is one side of ship should be designated smoking allowed. That would make most people happy. But someone will always complain.

Archived