Is No Smoking on the Balconies Coming?

Shake

We were on the freedom in September and had a balcony and a smoker two decks down and three cabins ahead of us. The winddraft pushed the smoke into all balconies and cabins if you had the door open. We could not have breakfast at all on the balcony because we would smell like smoke. This man smoked all the time. We payed extra to enjoy our balcony and we could not at all. I understand that people would love to smoke on their balcony but as a non smoker you cannot use it at all when some ahead of you smokes. I think RCL will not do the one side of the ship because there are way less smokers than non-smokers and they will have a hard time selling the smoker side of the ship. Even though I think it would be a good way to solve the problem. My husband and I avoided RCL and booked Celebrity now. But we got a good deal for a Norwegian cruise on RCL this week and booked a balcony knowing we will have smoke. We will see how this one turns out. We definately will not book RCL again if it is as bad as it was in September. We had smokers on Celebrity and they said it was totally ok with them to not smoke on the veranda and enjoyed their cruise totally. We will see what happens. But as a non-smoker not enjoying our balcony is very hard since we love to sit and relaxe on it and enjoy also the comfort. Smoke does get into the balconies and bother non-smokers a lot, not talking about the health issue.

As a smoker, this is all about common courtesy. If I ever end up getting a balcony, I hope I can smoke on it. But I would only be out there for maybe 1 or 2 a day as we wouldn't spend a lot of time in the room. If the people next to me ask me to wait instead of lighting up, I will. It goes 2 ways though, I understand that you want to enjoy your balcony that you paid extra for but then again so do I!!!

smoking should only be allowed on one side of the ship's balconies

How do you decide which side of the ship? On some itineraries there is a significant difference between the views or sun exposure from one side to the other. For example, on a westbound transatlantic, the port side will have nice sunny balconies throughout the day while the starboard side will be shaded the entire day. On other itineraries one side always has views of land and the other only water.

[quote name='Farmercity']Ban smoking on a ocean view balcony room, will not happen for the foreseeable future! Its an open air area, who does it bother other than the ones that look for anything to complain about!! I don't understand why people don't just enjoy the vacation and allow others to do the same...[/QUOTE]

"Like".

[quote name='DebJ14']We hope it is coming soon on RCI. I just hate it when our time on the balcony is ruined by a neighbor who smokes.
When we sail Carnival we take a spa cabin just because they prohibit smoking on the balcony in those categories. It is the only time we can be assured that we will have 100% use of the balcony and can leave the door open without our cabin filling with second hand smoke.[/QUOTE]

Carnival took a step in the right direction with Spa Balcony cabins. But those are on only a handful of ships and limited to a very small percentage of all balcony cabins. We had one on our Magic Med cruise last summer and thought it was great. For the Allure, we booked a boardwalk balcony to get a smoke free balcony. But I can't help but think that there are more who prefer a smoke free balcony than there are those who smoke. I hope that RCI can get more creative and find a way to serve everyone. I would pay a premium (and have on the Magic) for a smoke free balcony. RCI could make some money on people like me.

The real problem is the basic nature of cigs. Those who chose to enjoy it, do so by sharing their "enjoyment" with everyone around them. There is no option for smoking alone. You smoke and everyone smokes with you.

I am extremely anti-smoking. I have lost several family members to smoking related cancers and have other family members with severe asthma who are severely compromised around smoke. Personally, I think it stinks and do not enjoy being near it.

That said... I'm also all about personal freedoms. I think people who enjoy smoking, should be allowed to do whatever they want to themselves.

The problem goes back to never smoking alone. You can't do it in public and be alone. There are many things in life that you can't do in public, but smokers feel persecuted. I kinda understand it and I kinda don't. I really enjoy sitting on the can with a newspaper, but I can't do that in public around a couple hundred people in a dining room. It's not something you do with everyone else on your cruise. Just because you enjoy something, doesn't mean you can do whatever you want.

Many interesting posts on this thread. Sounds like many peoples' balconies has been affected or ruined by smoking. I guess some people book a cruise to sit on their balconies and smoke all day long and do nothing else the ship/islands have to offer. Very sad.

Since there are more non smokers why not do 1/2 of one side of the ship smoking, say from mid ship to the aft? Leave 3/4 of the balconies for non smokers.

[quote name='boss neil']
There is no way that the smoke from other people's balcony, ON A MOVING SHIP, can BOTHER ANY ONE. As a past post said " just enjoy your cruise and let others enjoy theirs.
[/quote]

This is so far from reality and truth, I don't even know where to begin correcting you. So, nevermind. :rolleyes:

[quote name='Farmercity']Ban smoking on a ocean view balcony room, will not happen for the foreseeable future! Its an open air area, who does it bother other than the ones that look for anything to complain about!! I don't understand why people don't just enjoy the vacation and allow others to do the same...[/quote]

I will tell you why I care about smoking on balconies. We had a balcony on the back of the Mariner on deck 6. Deck 6 is the lowest deck with a rear balcony. We had butts all over our balcony every day from the people above throwing their butts off their balcony. So smoking on balconies does bother others. It wasn't just one smoker either unless they liked a variety of cigaretts and all they did on the ship was smoke on their balcony and throw them overboard.:mad:

[quote name='LeesSummitCruiser1']I will tell you why I care about smoking on balconies. We had a balcony on the back of the Mariner on deck 6. Deck 6 is the lowest deck with a rear balcony. We had butts all over our balcony every day from the people above throwing their butts off their balcony. So smoking on balconies does bother others. It wasn't just one smoker either unless they liked a variety of cigaretts and all they did on the ship was smoke on their balcony and throw them overboard.:mad:[/QUOTE]
Since these people are ignoring the rules by flicking their butts off their balcony, what makes you think these people would obey if smoking wasn't allowed? They are already demonstrating that they are inconsiderate and don't think the rules apply to them. Stricter policies won't change that.

[quote name='canuckcruiselover']As a smoker myself, I hope it isn't banned completely but I've always maintained that smoking should only be allowed on one side of the ship's balconies -- same as the pool deck. It would be a lot more comfortable for non-smokers.[/quote]
I am convinced this is a bad idea.

Why should an entire side of the ship be devoted to a demographic that only comprises about 20% of the potential customers?

Can you imagine the complaining of non-smokers forced to book on the other side because all of the non-smoking balconies were booked? Would RCI really want to antogonize the 80% for the benefit of the 20%?

Even if numbers were relatively equal, many times one or the other sides is the "preferred" side for a variety of reasons -- sail away, more sun, less sun, etc. Who gets the preferred side, the smokers or non-smokers?

I am convinced this would result in more rather than fewer complaints.

[quote name='mjldvlks']I am convinced this is a bad idea.

Why should an entire side of the ship be devoted to a demographic that only comprises about 20% of the potential customers?

Can you imagine the complaining of non-smokers forced to book on the other side because all of the non-smoking balconies were booked? Would RCI really want to antogonize the 80% for the benefit of the 20%?
[/quote]

If the demographic is, indeed 80% non-smokers to 20% smokers, why are they [B]currently [/B]antagonizing 80% of their customers by permitting smoking on balconies?

Does anyone think it's fair to pay a premium price for a balcony and not be able to use it because of the smoke from another balcony? It would be just as unfair to a smoker who paid for a balcony so he/she [B]could[/B] smoke.

That's why I think the vast majority of people would be happy if a certain section, say starboard-forward on a few decks and port-aft on a few other decks would make everyone happy.

[quote name='Finbar127']I just love it when people come on here ranting and raving about how a smoker on the next balcony ruined their cruise. If you are that sensitive to smoke, and you book a balcony cabin knowing that smoking is allowed, you only have yourself to blame. You made a decision that having a balcony on an RCI ship was so important to you that you were willing to risk being next to a smoker. Then when you are exposed to a few puffs of smoke you start to rant and rave about how inconsiderate everyone else is. Talk about a "me" mentality. How about taking some responsibility and refrain from knowingly putting yourself into that situation?[/quote]

One who smokes is the epitome of a "me mentality", as you put it, knowing everything that is known about this toxic habit.

[quote name='Kellie Poodle']If the demographic is, indeed 80% non-smokers to 20% smokers, why are they [B]currently [/B]antagonizing 80% of their customers by permitting smoking on balconies?

[/quote]

The latest statistic for New York City shows a 16% smoking rate.

[quote name='jbarn3']Since these people are ignoring the rules by flicking their butts off their balcony, what makes you think these people would obey if smoking wasn't allowed? They are already demonstrating that they are inconsiderate and don't think the rules apply to them. Stricter policies won't change that.[/quote]It has changed that on Celebrity. It works.

I have allergies really bad and smoking is one thing that can trigger an [FONT=Calibri]asthma[/FONT] attack. We have always had balconies since we started crusing we are on them probably more than most people, but I have to honestly say I have never had anyone's smoke bother me. I have more of a problem with people not staying in the section by the pool and bring ashtrays to the non smoking section.

[quote name='Kellie Poodle']If the demographic is, indeed 80% non-smokers to 20% smokers, why are they [B]currently [/B]antagonizing 80% of their customers by permitting smoking on balconies?

Does anyone think it's fair to pay a premium price for a balcony and not be able to use it because of the smoke from another balcony? It would be just as unfair to a smoker who paid for a balcony so he/she [B]could[/B] smoke.

That's why I think the vast majority of people would be happy if a certain section, say starboard-forward on a few decks and port-aft on a few other decks would make everyone happy.[/quote]

I suppose they believe that this is something that non-smokers will put up with. If they did eliminate balcony smoking, they might think that they would lose business to Carnival or NCL.

I would have stayed with my oceanview balcony on the Allure and hoped for the best. But when I found out that I could get a Boardwalk Balcony cabin and still see the ocean and be guaranteed a smoke free environment, I moved. I'm hoping that by the time we book our next two cruises (Alaska and Baltics), that RCI provide more in terms of non-smoking balcony cabin areas. As they say, I won't hold my breath and we are happy that Princess and Celebrity offer alternatives.

[quote name='Jiffymom']I think they should have just a few cabins all on one side of the ship and let those few cabins be smoking. Then you won't be surprised by finding a smoker next to you. You will have a choice to book a cabin next to them or not.[/quote]

:)I think that all smokers could be put in a lifeboat and towed behind the ship at a distance of say 50 yards then when they have had their fix they could all pull on the rope together and they will soon be back on board the ship :D

I don't know if it's coming, I suspect when RCI figures it makes more money instituting a smoking ban on balconies then we will have one. In my opinion, they should leave the policy just as it is and if people don't like it , smokers or non smokers, they can choose to cruise elsewhere. this from a former smoker.

How could a smoking ban ever be enforced? Unless they put cameras on each individual balcony its impossible to enforce. By the time someone complained and a staff person could get there, they are done smoking. It will just encourage people to throw their butts into the ocean.

[quote name='Galatz']How could a smoking ban ever be enforced? Unless they put cameras on each individual balcony its impossible to enforce. By the time someone complained and a staff person could get there, they are done smoking. It will just encourage people to throw their butts into the ocean.[/QUOTE]

Balconies are already pretty well covered by security cameras and lack of enforcement is more likely to encourage smoking and perhaps improper disposal of smoking materials, than enforcement would.

Archived