Ryndam Questions (instead!)

MorgannaLeFey

So, we've worked out the budget and timing issues along with where we're really interested in visiting. Turns out the best trip for us is going to be the March 17, 2013 sailing of the Ryndam out of Tampa going to Cozumel, Roatan, Santo Tomas, and Costa Maya.

I've been reading some of the reviews of the Ryndam and I'm a bit nervous but have decided to approach it with the same level of expectation I have for a Super 8 motel when I stay at it. I don't expect it to wow me or be stunningly gorgeous but perfectly functional and clean enough for safety. Leaves room for the ship to surprise me without ensuring that I'll be disappointed by expecting too much. :) I prefer being pleasantly surprised.

So, questions...

Are there coolers in each room like on the Westerdam? We're looking at getting an inside room. We figure we can go out on deck or into a lounge with windows if we need to see the sun and sky and we're not expecting to spend all THAT much time in there anyway. Still, if there are coolers that'd be a help.

I read that non alcoholic/non soda beverages are free (water, coffee, tea) do any of you know if that includes juices and milk?

I'll be poking around on the boards looking for suggestions for shore excursions. Fortunately we have some local friends who have been to this part of the world on cruises and are a great font of information. We're interested in ruins, so that's something we'd like to do for sure, but I'm also interested in beaches and/or swimming. Is March too cold for swimming? Yeah, I know, I just don't know much about that part of the world. Please be kind. :)

I also need to read reviews of the culinary arts programs they have on board. Is there much difference between ships for that sort of thing? Like, if I read a review for a program on the Westerdam, would it not really apply very well to the Ryndam?

I guess I'd also like some reassurance that the ship isn't a horror. :) Thanks everyone for your time and thoughtful replies. You've all been wonderful so far. :)

So, questions...

Are there coolers in each room like on the Westerdam? We're looking at getting an inside room. We figure we can go out on deck or into a lounge with windows if we need to see the sun and sky and we're not expecting to spend all THAT much time in there anyway. Still, if there are coolers that'd be a help.[/Quote]

No, but you can rent them for any cabin.

I read that non alcoholic/non soda beverages are free (water, coffee, tea) do any of you know if that includes juices and milk?[/Quote]

It does, but juice is only available in the morning, an milk with meals.

Is March too cold for swimming? Yeah, I know, I just don't know much about that part of the world. Please be kind. :)[/Quote]

No, it's always warm in the Caribbean.

I also need to read reviews of the culinary arts programs they have on board. Is there much difference between ships for that sort of thing? [/Quote] It depends not so much on the ship as it dos on the Cruise Director and chef. In April on Ryndam we saw excellent demonstrations.

I guess I'd also like some reassurance that the ship isn't a horror. :) Thanks everyone for your time and thoughtful replies. You've all been wonderful so far. :)

N HAL ship is a "horror" (heck, no major cruise ship is that) and I can attest to the fact that Ryndam was, fo us, a very pleasant 16 days in April.

I assume by a cooler you're referring to a mini-fridge in the cabin and if so then the answer is no, interior cabins don't come with one. I understand you can rent one but I'll defer to others on that as we've never cruised in an interior.

Water (non-bottled), juices, milk, coffee, and tea are included in your fare so there's no additional cost for those. Not all of these are available 24/7 so it's not exactly an endless supply. You can get specialty coffees during the day and there is a charge for those.

The weather and water temperatures in the Caribbean, especially for your itinerary, are always good for beach and snorkeling time. March should be pretty nice to even possibly warm/hot but that's relative. What's warm or hot for some is not for others.

To the best of my knowledge the culinary arts programs are pretty much the same from ship to ship. We've thoroughly enjoyed the program and have ys taken one of the paid courses since HAL started the program.

Ship condition, weather, service, food quality, etc., etc., are kind of subjective in my mind. What i think is good or excellent may not be the same for others aand vice versa. We've been on the Ryndam a number of times starting when she was first introduced to the fleet to just a couple of years ago and she remains one of our favorites.

Ooh is iced tea included in the "tea" designation? My husband can drink that. He prefers soda and juice. Neither of us drinks coffee, but I think I'll die without my morning hot cocoa. I can bring my own packets for that, if I have to, though. Do they have hot cocoa? Someone else had suggested drink mix powders, too. That's another decent solution. He can mix up some powdered lemonade to change things up. :)

Yes, iced tea is available but not necessarily all day long. I clearly remember having it available during lunch in the Lido Cafe and I'm guessing it's available at night in the various restaurants but can't confirm as I don't remember ordering it. Point is that when and where it is available there is no additional charge. Can't speak to hot cocoa though I'm again pretty sure it's available.

I spent two glorious weeks on the Ryndam just this past May. She is in excellent condition. Now, there may have been a spot, or two; I just don't notice little things like that. The service was top-notch, food at least good, sometimes better than that. The Pinnacle was outstanding the two times I had dinner there.

There is a 24-hour station in the Lido where you can get coffee, various hot teas, and hot chocolate. Milk and juices are on the line for taking at breakfast; just ask any other time the Lido is open for service. Iced tea, and sometimes lemonade, are offered at lunch; I expect they are at dinner, but am not certain.

In the dining room, if you want iced tea, milk, or juice, just ask for it. There may be a charge for the juice, other than at breakfast (depends on if it is a lounge or galley juice). If you have fixed seating, and want this every night, just place a standing order, and it will be waiting when you arrive.

If you rent a fridge, the Ryndam has room for it on the desk. The desk is very wide, as it has 6 drawers, so if the fridge is on top, you still have room for some things. The alternative is to put it under the desk, but that's the kneehole when you sit there. Makes it awkward.

Again, the Ryndam is not a "horror". Far from it. Go, and enjoy the pampering.

We love the Ryndam -- have quite a few sailing days on her.

Non-bottled water, iced tea, coffee, hot tea, juices , milk are free. You can ask for juice at lunch time and they will get it for you. Same thing for milk -- just ask. The hot chocolate is the instant type.

If you ask for juice at a bar/lounge -- they will charge you for it.

There is a $2 rental fee per day for a mini refrigerator. There are limited number of them for each ship. So if I were you I would call Ship Services at 1-800-541-1576 and reserve one now. Ask them to send you an e-mail confirmation to take with you to the ship.

We have stopped going to the free cooking demonstrations as it seems like each ship is doing the same recipes. Maybe they will change sometime.

If we weren't for the fact they we are so disgusted with HAL and the different policies from ship to ship we would be on the Ryndam next February for 21 days. But we cancelled that cruise.

If we weren't for the fact they we are so disgusted with HAL and the different policies from ship to ship we would be on the Ryndam next February for 21 days. But we cancelled that cruise.

Would you be willing to elaborate on this for me? What policies do you mean?

Super 8 Motel? The Ryndam hasn't produced many bad reviews, at least from what I have seen. She is a lovely ship and I think you will enjoy her.

The ones that are bad have been incredibly detailed and very scathing. Several of the better ones still seem to warn about some things they found unpleasant. I'm just hedging my bets :)

Would you be willing to elaborate on this for me? What policies do you mean?

It pertains mostly to how some people are treated on HAL ships -- I am referring to those of us who are long time cruisers with hundreds of days.

One example is some of the long day cruisers are invited to VIP parties -- some of us are not.

Some always are seated at the Mariner's brunch with a host. It has been a long time since we have had that. In fact our last Mariner brunch -- it was a free-for-all just to get into the dining room.

The list goes on and on.

On one cruise -- one of the things that comes with booking a Deluxe Verandah Suite on longer voyages -- having a Suite lunch -- on that cruise we were the only ones not invited.

We're interested in ruins, so that's something we'd like to do for sure, but I'm also interested in beaches and/or swimming

Check out The Native Choice in Costa Maya for their tour of the Chacchoben ruins. Small groups, air conditioned vans in good repair, run by locals. There's also a small town near Costa Maya (Mahajual -- sp?) that has a great beach.

Roatan we did a kayak and snorkel thru the ship, and found it to be one of the BEST ship excursions we have taken -- small group, safety conscious, lots of personal attention and help when needed overall. There are great beaches and great swimming/snorkelling in Roatan.

In Santo Tomas, don't even consider doing something "on your own" like grabbing a cab or walking around looking like a tourist. We did a private excursion, and the guide was armed. Apparently the HAL bus excursions had armed vehicles accompanying them. We would go back there, but be aware. We didn't see anything that resembled beaches for public use around the port.

In Santo Tomas, don't even consider doing something "on your own" like grabbing a cab or walking around looking like a tourist. We did a private excursion, and the guide was armed. Apparently the HAL bus excursions had armed vehicles accompanying them. We would go back there, but be aware. We didn't see anything that resembled beaches for public use around the port.

What the hell? Why do they even STOP there then? This is terrifying!

What the hell? Why do they even STOP there then? This is terrifying!

Truly it is not terrifying. I didn't mean to frighten you. It just is "different" -- it is a lovely area, the people are very welcoming, and tourists are made to feel like honoured guests. I can't comment on the political situation there but I'm certain you can find info if you want. It's just different, and the guards are probably NOT necessary, but nice that they are provided.

I just wouldn't go out on my own, y'know? And DO check out the visitor centre (in addition to whatever you decide to do) at the port as there are lovely items there for purchase, and very welcoming vendors.

I started reading some other threads about Santo Tomas, an no one mentions guns at all.

I'm sorry but I can't be blase about the idea of having armed people all around me out on an excursion. I'm not expecting the whole world to be like my town in Vermont. But guns, seriously?

Hal takes very good care of their ships. The Ryndam is far from a horror. No it is not brand new, but I think all in all you will be pleased with your choice. Its a lovely ship, its not glitzy, like some cruise lines ships, but that's not Hal's style. Hal has a quiet elegance with their ships.

I started reading some other threads about Santo Tomas, an no one mentions guns at all.

I'm sorry but I can't be blase about the idea of having armed people all around me out on an excursion. I'm not expecting the whole world to be like my town in Vermont. But guns, seriously?

Yes, there can be armed people on excursions - we had them in all of our Holy Land excursions when we were in Israel (and this is when it was considered 'safe').

it's for your safety:)

>SNIP<

Believe me, however quiet, insular and sleepy your town in Vermont is, it would be "wild & crazy" compared to where we live :eek: :)

We were not at all harassed, and there was no sense of "armed people all around". Our guide was VERY discreet. As Kazu said, it is for your safety.

Well I'm not gonna not go, and not gonna hide on the ship. I was just really taken by surprise. When CowPrincess first mentioned it I had a sudden vision of uniformed thugs carrying machine guns every 20 meters or something. I probably watch too many spy/action/adventure movies. :)

The sight of armed guards in the Caribbean is no more of shock than a Brit coming to the USA for the first time and seeing all of the police with guns. It is a actually a little comforting to me in some of the ports, fortunately, I have never seen one used. Did 21 day T/A on Ryndam last spring, I prefer some of HAL's smaller ships.

Well I'm not gonna not go, and not gonna hide on the ship. I was just really taken by surprise. When CowPrincess first mentioned it I had a sudden vision of uniformed thugs carrying machine guns every 20 meters or something. I probably watch too many spy/action/adventure movies. :)

Oh thank goodness :) I'm sooooooooooo relieved. For a few minutes I feared I'd scared you off.

I will be going on my first HAL cruise an the Ryndam in November and have a few questions. Do balcony cabins have a mini fridge or do we have to rent one? Almost all of my cruises have been on Princess and their coffee is terrible. They do have a coffee card for specialty and fresh brewed coffee which we always buy on Princess. How is the HAL coffee and do they have a coffee card like Princess?

Are there and real differences between HAL and Princess that I should know about?

Ryndam in November and have a few questions. Do balcony cabins have a mini fridge or do we have to rent one? Almost all of my cruises have been on Princess and their coffee is terrible. They do have a coffee card for specialty and fresh brewed coffee which we always buy on Princess. How is the HAL coffee and do they have a coffee card like Princess?

Are there and real differences between HAL and Princess that I should know about?

Balcony cabins on the Ryndam have a fridge.

Coffee on HAL isn't bad, but it isn't great, either. It is brewed, though.

There is coffee for a price at Explorations Cafe, and you can use your beverage card to purchase there. The beverage card is good for most all drinks; there is also a non-alcoholic beverage card.

Archived