A Carnival junkie sails NCL for the first time

ShelleyQT

For the OP (who unfortunately is probably long gone by now):

I really appreciate your review... It's helped us to seriously consider NCL for our next cruise... You pointed out many things that are appealing to us...

As for the rest of the "chatter" which frankly, IMO, has really strayed from the intent of the OP...

Brand loyalty is for suckers... In this day and age, there is simply no reason that I can think of for consumers to be so stubbornly loyal to one brand... Okay, there is one reason: that brand is also your employer... That's the only justification I can see being somewhat logical...

Savvy consumers shop around, do their research, and make purchases based on value relative to ones personal taste... But I just don't think it's possible to be a savvy consumer and loyal to only one brand... The odds are against you...

I really appreciate your review... It's helped us to seriously consider NCL for our next cruise... You pointed out many things that are appealing to us...

As for the rest of the "chatter" which frankly, IMO, has really strayed from the intent of the OP...

Brand loyalty is for suckers... In this day and age, there is simply no reason that I can think of for consumers to be so stubbornly loyal to one brand... Okay, there is one reason: that brand is also your employer... That's the only justification I can see being somewhat logical...

Savvy consumers shop around, do their research, and make purchases based on value relative to ones personal taste... But I just don't think it's possible to be a savvy consumer and loyal to only one brand... The odds are against you...

Amy that obnoxious poster is gone now. OP also posted this review on NCL board it is probably less cluttered

Sorry if someone else already noticed this but I haven't read all the recent posts. I have noticed that RRLLAL has pulled his cruise history from his signature thus making it harder for people to know he has only cruised CCL. And has no comparison to back up his theory that CCL still offers the best product out there.

Sometimes that happens.

Usually corrects itself after 3 days, a week, a month or sometimes 3 months.

Nice review and comparison. We're thinking of the Star from NOLA this winter. Our Magic cruise this Oct. will be our 20th Carnival, but like you we've seen a lot of cutbacks. We've sailed NCL before but it's been several years, may be time to try them again.

We're also thinking about taking the Star out of NOLA for our next trip. Our last trip on the Conquest was very enjoyable - I didn't notice major cuts in food, service, cabin service etc. What I did notice, and I am now prepared to be flamed major league, was the class of passengers. Loud, boorish, the "it's my vacation and I'll do whatever I want" type crowd. The ship tried very hard to have a good cruise elegant night, but tuxes and gowns were basically non-existent. Ties were also not in the majority. I would venture to say absolutely nobody was turned away from the MDR on either elegant night.

We're also thinking about taking the Star out of NOLA for our next trip. Our last trip on the Conquest was very enjoyable - I didn't notice major cuts in food, service, cabin service etc. What I did notice, and I am now prepared to be flamed major league, was the class of passengers. Loud, boorish, the "it's my vacation and I'll do whatever I want" type crowd. The ship tried very hard to have a good cruise elegant night, but tuxes and gowns were basically non-existent. Ties were also not in the majority. I would venture to say absolutely nobody was turned away from the MDR on either elegant night.

So why would ones dress be any concern for you ? Why would I pack a tuxedo and have my wife pack a gown? Where we fly from we have to pay for bags as well as be under a certain weight. So me dressed in khakis and a nice button down shirt or polo is going to ruin your "experience"

Maybe its me but I could care less about what anyone wears,my attention goes towards my wife/friends/family and what we did that day and/or our plans for tomorrow.I could care less about other people or what they do or dont wear

I didn't say it ruined my experience. I think a nice polo shirt and khakis are a nice outfit. But, basically, since hardly any restaurant has a real dress code any more - why not get rid of it. It has become nothing more than a photo op. PS - there was a 300+ pound man in a tee shirt with a plate piled so high with ribs it was funny. He opted for the "comfort food" rather than the 3 ounce lobster tail.

I didn't say it ruined my experience. I think a nice polo shirt and khakis are a nice outfit. But, basically, since hardly any restaurant has a real dress code any more - why not get rid of it. It has become nothing more than a photo op. PS - there was a 300+ pound man in a tee shirt with a plate piled so high with ribs it was funny. He opted for the "comfort food" rather than the 3 ounce lobster tail.

As a former 315 pound man your statement was anything but funny

People like what they like, did you think maybe he didnt like seafood(again why worry about someone else or what they are eating)

I can eat lobster and shrimp 7 days a week if something looks better to me guess what I will order it.Most(not all) people order surf and turf or lobster because they associate it with being gourmet and expensive.

If this was a major concern of mine I would pick a cruiseline thats suits me and whats important to me

I agree. I'm looking at what strikes me as a fun cruise. My only loyalty, if you can call it that, is to the port of Baltimore. It's close and it's a great port. Not a lot of choices, but enough to make me happy. I like Carnival but I may try RCI again as they sail to Bermuda from Baltimore and Carnival doesn't. Hint, hint Carnival. Also, a big hint, hint to NCL as they also used to sail to Bermuda from Baltimore

Nice, try The Epic.

Man was that a great trip.

Im looking forward to the Epic and see if the entertainment is as good as Ive been hearing. Than I can come back to CC and share my first hand experience

So why would ones dress be any concern for you ? Why would I pack a tuxedo and have my wife pack a gown? Where we fly from we have to pay for bags as well as be under a certain weight. So me dressed in khakis and a nice button down shirt or polo is going to ruin your "experience"

Maybe its me but I could care less about what anyone wears,my attention goes towards my wife/friends/family and what we did that day and/or our plans for tomorrow.I could care less about other people or what they do or dont wear

so why don't you?

Bill

I find this concept an oxymoron. If I wanted to wear a gown, I would go to a venue where this was the norm.

Sorry, you can clear your head now and envision the baby seal now living happily on a beach in Cabo. ;)

A happy ending for all!! I love it!

(I think my 'ignore list' is the kiss of death. Eventually, everyone I put on it winds up in Cabo.....)

(I think my 'ignore list' is the kiss of death. Eventually, everyone I put on it winds up in Cabo.....)

Don`t put me on ignore please....lol:cool:

I can`t stand someone who just spews crap....I like CCL..it has been the only line so far that I have cruised.

I have looked at others...But I am back to AI...

I feel like CCL just doesn`t listen what the repeat cruisers have to say.

I don`t mind the changes that much...but our last cruise the food was very salty...or no taste at all...the service sucked...the only saving grace was the cruise friends we met here on CC...

I am booked btb on the Victory in 2013...let us hope that I can smoke on the lido deck...have some decent food...and see all my cruise friends

I can`t stand someone who just spews crap....I like CCL..it has been the only line so far that I have cruised.

I don`t mind the changes that much...but our last cruise the food was very salty...or no taste at all...the service sucked...the only saving grace was the cruise friends we met here on CC...

I am booked btb on the Victory in 2013...let us hope that I can smoke on the lido deck...have some decent food...and see all my cruise friends

If you are looking for the basics, favorable pricing, and good itineraries, Carnival still delivers. If you want more than that, including larger nicer pool areas, better service, more and better entertainment choices, and less crowded ships, then it's time to look elsewhere. Carnival's marketing actually is conducive to cruising in Europe. We had the four of us in a spa balcony cabin on a 9-day Med cruise on the Magic (less than 100 days old when we were on it) for under $5,000 total. There were eight port days and only one sea day in the nine day itinerary. The service and entertainment were awful. But the cruise was worth every penny and it would have cost me double for a similar cruise on Princess.

I'm also not convinced I would be too much happier on NCL. After reading this thread, I read some reviews and their pools are as tiny as Carnival's and their food does not get glowing reviews either. If you want more than Carnival offers, just be ready to pay for it. We are and that's why our next Caribbean cruise is on the Allure.

I'm also not convinced I would be too much happier on NCL. After reading this thread, I read some reviews and their pools are as tiny as Carnival's and their food does not get glowing reviews either. If you want more than Carnival offers, just be ready to pay for it. We are and that's why our next Caribbean cruise is on the Allure.

I know that food is subjective, but the food on NCL is far closer to CCL's than Royals is. The worst cruise food I ever had was on Royal (Explorer of the Seas/Bayonne to Bermuda)....I am sure the Allure is amazing and I would sail her in a heartbeat, but if food is important to you, Royal isn't the best line imo.

I'll remember that for the future!;):D

I'll be there, my friend! And we always have a good time regardless of the other details!:D

Archived